Boat with engine ($500 update)

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The folks with EV cars are beginning to say-----" My car is really neat , does everything at the touch of a button.----But is it ever expensive for parts and service"

powers55

Seaman
The folks with EV cars are beginning to say-----" My car is really neat , does everything at the touch of a button.----But is it ever expensive for parts and service"
One would have to ask themselves, is all this electrical tech stuff going to fail? Oh yes it will, yes i run a 68 big twin Evinrude 40 hp and if that breaks well, get out the manual and ask questions i prefer more simple things in my life that i can work on...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
What is failing mechanically?

Three good friends and my sister own Tesla’s. All rave about them . Giant golf cart

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
But i do fined that many old things i have are built so much better then todays things, and still serve me well. In my opinion (and some will disagree with me) you don't really get what you pay for these days, when buying anything, very very few things built today really don't last like the old stuff, And this is done on purpose to get you to go out and buy more! my point here ? bring our jobs back, and the quality and craftsmanship that used to make America great, and stop letting China do that for us....
Back in the day, you needed to have a new car rust-proofed before you took it off the lot. Even the best jobs weren't the answer. If you got a car to last 7 years without rusting through you were lucky. Today, with some exceptions for poor care, I haven't had a car show ANY rust in many years. That would seem to indicate BETTER built today.

Consumer goods are another story. My uncle was a TV repairman. Even made house calls. You can't fix them today. But part of that reason is because of non-repairable chips and modules. But, OTOH, flat screen TVs last almost forever and never NEED repairing. (OK, someone will surely tell about their crappy broken TVs)

OK, houses were built better back in the day. Things were made out of metal, not plastic, etc.

One thing for sure is non-debatable......bring back American jobs.

Ronniewhite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Back in the day, you needed to have a new car rust-proofed before you took it off the lot. Even the best jobs weren't the answer. If you got a car to last 7 years without rusting through you were lucky. Today, with some exceptions for poor care, I haven't had a car show ANY rust in many years. That would seem to indicate BETTER built today.

Consumer goods are another story. My uncle was a TV repairman. Even made house calls. You can't fix them today. But part of that reason is because of non-repairable chips and modules. But, OTOH, flat screen TVs last almost forever and never NEED repairing. (OK, someone will surely tell about their crappy broken TVs)

OK, houses were built better back in the day. Things were made out of metal, not plastic, etc.

One thing for sure is non-debatable......bring back American jobs.
20230107_154037.jpghere's my 96 original body motor tranny no rust 455000km

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
If you got a car to last 7 years without rusting through you were lucky. Today, with some exceptions for poor care, I haven't had a car show ANY rust in many years. That would seem to indicate BETTER built today.
It’s not build quality per say and it’s been a bit longer than 7 years since galvanneal became the staple of the automotive industry.

Long story, but was Lead Mechanical Design Engineer for the Project to design, build and patent the first Measurement and Control system to facilitate the mass production of automotive quality Galvanneal using the hot dip (galvanizing) process.

Installed the beta system at Sollac - Florange, France in 1990. Still have customers running the original equipment but most have upgraded to Gen II equipment.

tphoyt

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Sounds like an interesting and kool job.
I still have a 1990 Toyota 4Runner that has a perfect frame and still has stickers on it in some places. Only one spec of rust on the body and it won’t be there much longer.
I have also had an 05 Tocoma and an 06 Tundra.
Both were in perfect condition both body and mechanical but suffered frame rot. Toyota did replace the frame on the Tacoma but I got T Boned a year later and it is wasn’t salvageable.
They refused to replace the Tundra frame so I sold it back to them. Now I’m driving an 2000 F150 and on a quiet night you can hear the frame rusting away. Looks like this one will die a slow death as well.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like an interesting and kool job.
I still have a 1990 Toyota 4Runner that has a perfect frame and still has stickers on it in some places. Only one spec of rust on the body and it won’t be there much longer.
I have also had an 05 Tocoma and an 06 Tundra.
Both were in perfect condition both body and mechanical but suffered frame rot. Toyota did replace the frame on the Tacoma but I got T Boned a year later and it is wasn’t salvageable.
They refused to replace the Tundra frame so I sold it back to them. Now I’m driving an 2000 F150 and on a quiet night you can hear the frame rusting away. Looks like this one will die a slow death as well.
As long people use rock salt and salt brine on the roads the rusting will continue....lol.

You may find it interesting..........Toyota is the only company that doesn't compromise on their coating specifications.

The others will take/use "non-conforming" product if the price is right

airshot

Rear Admiral
Price out how much it will cost if you have to take the boat to the dump....might surprise you as to how much it will cost. (Heavy)
Many dumps will also require you to cut it up, no whole boats, figure on at least 200 for the dump plus cutting up fiberglass is a serious health hazard !!

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
remember when they would dunked the Rambler frames in anti-corrosion paint so it would reach all the nooks and cranies. ...