Boat with engine ($500 update)

powers55

Seaman
Price out how much it will cost if you have to take the boat to the dump....might surprise you as to how much it will cost. (Heavy)
Oh i know there not light, but i want a good look at the inside of that boat before i decide to scrap it if i have to you know

powers55

Seaman
Ok folks, I truly admire all the feedback I'm getting from all of you!! Thank you!! It does mean alot to me, so I'm going through with this, I did give it alot of thought as well, and well, my co worker's chimed in on it to. But PLEASE let's remember I don't plan on turning this into a full blown project (of restoration) on this vessel. Now...having said that "IF" and only "IF" I find reasonable cause that One (1) or all 3 peices Trailer, boat, engine, have potential and can be of benefit to me and or my other boat, then (and only then) I shall take a different course of action. So for now, let's take this step by step, and yes I share my loss of $$$ or my regretfullness in even becoming involved in this silly pursuit of the unknown with this $250 backyard find with you all...Remember I have this boat to fall back on..

Attachments

• 20220726_202656.jpg
    20220726_202656.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 11
  • 20220726_202706.jpg
    20220726_202706.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 20220726_202719.jpg
    20220726_202719.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 11
  • 20220805_174356.jpg
    20220805_174356.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 20220805_174313.jpg
    20220805_174313.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 12

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
They say "the only way to get rid of an urge is to give in to it" :)

Money issue aside ( 2 golf games worth) if the project keeps you busy and takes your mind off the worlds aches and pains for hours or days it will be worthwhile. When I picked up my Crosby Cruisette beauty , folks joked about it but I enjoyed fixing it up at minimal cost and resold it ... no big money lost.

here is another version of the one I had

It is a hobby , slap some tires on the trailer and take it home !

Last edited:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
nervous about getting the whole thing done. But it wasn't the bad at all, and with a bad wheel bearing i towed that boat home from Kilington Vt to my place (about 170 miles) i thought for sure i would need a flatbed, but we didn't.
I think it was Harry that said: "Are ya feelin lucky?" Looks like you DID get lucky. Butttttt, can you be that lucky twice?

Personally, I would not have been nervous, I would have run far away. Why? Been there and seen it.

For us everything happens on Route 81 north on our annual trek to the Thousand Islands. One year my son's 3 year old boat had a massive tire failure. It destroyed the fender, scratched the boat and only because of his excellent driving skills was he able to keep the rig from flipping and landing in the ditch.

Another year were caravaning with my wife in the lead, and me following. Both were pulling boats. There was another car between us. An idiot with a big cruiser on a too-small trailer passed me at excessive speed. His passenger side wheel bearing was red hot. I laid on the horn but he just kept on going. Just as he was passing my wife the spindle broke and the wheel/tire went flying in the air. Thank God it missed my wife, but it DID hit the car behind her. She didn't see it happen and kept on going. I stopped to help the car that had a dented hood and a broken windshield. The police just happened to stop and I gave the officer a statement. It's good that he came because I was about to go back to the idiot and I know my words to him would not have been civil.

Anyways, my rant is over. Again, best wishes in your endeavor. Just use common sense.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Ok folks, I truly admire all the feedback I'm getting from all of you!! Thank you!! It does mean alot to me, so I'm going through with this, I did give it alot of thought as well, and well, my co worker's chimed in on it to. But PLEASE let's remember I don't plan on turning this into a full blown project (of restoration) on this vessel. Now...having said that "IF" and only "IF" I find reasonable cause that One (1) or all 3 peices Trailer, boat, engine, have potential and can be of benefit to me and or my other boat, then (and only then) I shall take a different course of action. So for now, let's take this step by step, and yes I share my loss of $$$ or my regretfullness in even becoming involved in this silly pursuit of the unknown with this $250 backyard find with you all...Remember I have this boat to fall back on..
Looks like you did a nice job on that one. Lots of us like to do restorations, but it has to be a labor of love. It won't save you money, and it won't be cost effective, but it can be fun. Personally, I'm only interested in old and classic.

When I was about 12 years old my buddy's Dad had a boat and I just had to have one like it. But I was just a poor kid. By the time I got old enough they were all rotten and in the dump. It took me 50 years to finally find one, and now the boat is 70 years old, but it was MY labor of love.

1678807027995.jpeg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
but it has to be a labor of love. It won't save you money, and it won't be cost effective, but it can be fun.

True words.

If you want to make a small pile of money working on boats, start with a giant pile of money.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
If you want to make a small pile of money working on boats, start with a giant pile of money.

that's funny and true :)

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Shops need to make money-----That is why they do not work on older motors / boats.-----They select the jobs that are guaranteed to make them money.----Other projects where they are going to tie up too much time are ignored.

powers55

Seaman
They say "the only way to get rid of an urge is to give in to it" :)

Money issue aside ( 2 golf games worth) if the project keeps you busy and takes your mind off the worlds aches and pains for hours or days it will be worthwhile. When I picked up my Crosby Cruisette beauty , folks joked about it but I enjoyed fixing it up at minimal cost and resold it ... no big money lost.

here is another version of the one I had

It is a hobby , slap some tires on the trailer and take it home !
Crosbyman you are so right!! there is bigger part of me that really wants to see what this turns into, i mean hey i could end up loving this find ya know. I worked hard on the boat i already have, and i was so happy over the summer with it so..

powers55

Seaman
I think it was Harry that said: "Are ya feelin lucky?" Looks like you DID get lucky. Butttttt, can you be that lucky twice?

Personally, I would not have been nervous, I would have run far away. Why? Been there and seen it.

For us everything happens on Route 81 north on our annual trek to the Thousand Islands. One year my son's 3 year old boat had a massive tire failure. It destroyed the fender, scratched the boat and only because of his excellent driving skills was he able to keep the rig from flipping and landing in the ditch.

Another year were caravaning with my wife in the lead, and me following. Both were pulling boats. There was another car between us. An idiot with a big cruiser on a too-small trailer passed me at excessive speed. His passenger side wheel bearing was red hot. I laid on the horn but he just kept on going. Just as he was passing my wife the spindle broke and the wheel/tire went flying in the air. Thank God it missed my wife, but it DID hit the car behind her. She didn't see it happen and kept on going. I stopped to help the car that had a dented hood and a broken windshield. The police just happened to stop and I gave the officer a statement. It's good that he came because I was about to go back to the idiot and I know my words to him would not have been civil.

Anyways, my rant is over. Again, best wishes in your endeavor. Just use common sense.
Jim good morning, and thank you please stay tuned ok i bring this boat home anyday now, and i enjoy sharing with all of you folks here peace to you, and oh ya glad to hear everything worked out for you as read your story

powers55

Seaman
Looks like you did a nice job on that one. Lots of us like to do restorations, but it has to be a labor of love. It won't save you money, and it won't be cost effective, but it can be fun. Personally, I'm only interested in old and classic.

When I was about 12 years old my buddy's Dad had a boat and I just had to have one like it. But I was just a poor kid. By the time I got old enough they were all rotten and in the dump. It took me 50 years to finally find one, and now the boat is 70 years old, but it was MY labor of love.

View attachment 376335
What a beautiful boat!! i know my boat is no trophy winner but it's alot of fun, and was not that exspensive to get up and running either

powers55

Seaman
Shops need to make money-----That is why they do not work on older motors / boats.-----They select the jobs that are guaranteed to make them money.----Other projects where they are going to tie up too much time are ignored.
Well answer me this, aren't the older engines more dependable then these new ones with all the electronics on them?? i mean i'm 58 years old and it seems to me that when you see the vintage stuff still around there's a reason for that right? Not only that, the cost of these new more advanced engines is to much you know

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Fact----When a shop works on a $100 motor for 3 hrs it adds up to a $500 invoice.------Owner will howl and call them various names.------When they work on a $50,000 boat for 3 hrs and show a $500 invoice the owner will say " thank you very much "-----But I agree for some folks an older motor makes for economical boating.------And in my town there are a few guys driving older 1960's pick-up trucks.----They do not want new technology.----You will see more articles on EV cars where owners are " shocked " by the price of parts and service !!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Well answer me this, aren't the older engines more dependable then these new ones with all the electronics on them??
My daily driver just turned 198,000 miles and gets 38 mph. Have done nothing to it but change the tires, brakes and oil.

What car from the 1970’s or 80’s had similar lifetime and maintenance expectations?

As one of my college professors once said, things are only complicated to those without knowledge.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Well answer me this, aren't the older engines more dependable then these new ones with all the electronics on them?? i mean i'm 58 years old and it seems to me that when you see the vintage stuff still around there's a reason for that right? Not only that, the cost of these new more advanced engines is to much you know
"dependable", what does it mean?

I have been stranded with 2 strokes many times. That's why I carry a kicker. Never been stranded with a 4-stroke. After a long cold winter, my 4-strokes start up in a fraction of a second. No need to decarbon the cylinders, no points to adjust, etc, etc.

Some of us keep old stuff around for nostalgia. We like to tinker. I don't tinker on Sunday afternoon.

Yeah its more expensive and yeah the dealer has to fix it with their fancy computer. I'll just call it more reliable, though. Once you try the new stuff you won't want to go back.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
I have a 2005 75hp ETEC...wonderfull machine never stranded me 10 miles from camp.... but I carry my 2 stroke kicker anytime I go 100 feet from shore.....my latest is a nice 50 year old 4hp Merc single cyl. with phase-maker ignition. it just purrs hours on end all day long all week long .

Attachments

• ev merc.JPG
    ev merc.JPG
    744.5 KB · Views: 1

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Everything man-made will fail.

However generally, the more simple the motor, the less likely for a failure

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Everything man-made will fail.

However generally, the more simple the motor, the less likely for a failure
My first car was a 1961 Ford - inline 6 and 3 on the tree. No air, no radio, drum brakes all around, points, plugs, crank windows, yada, yada. When you opened the hood there was a little motor and nothing else. Could not get any simpler.

Now 57 years later I still own a Ford product, yet when you open the hood it takes a few minutes to even find the freaking dipstick.

The '61 was a pita. The choke had to be adjusted for Winter, then back again for Summer. Brakes and tires were needed way too often. Tune-ups were annual, and it still never ran right. Constantly tinkering.

OTOH the 2018 is a marvel of Engineering and everything works perfect. I'm sure it will break eventually, but in the meantime I'm enjoying it.

I'm using this as an analogy for boats.

If you tell me you like old motors because new ones are too expensive, I can buy that. Also, I assume you fix them yourself because mechanics are few and far between.

If you tell me you like old ones because they are more reliable, I don't agree.

Nevertheless, what's so good about America is that we all have our likes and dislikes and we have the ability to do whatever we want.

powers55

Seaman
My first car was a 1961 Ford - inline 6 and 3 on the tree. No air, no radio, drum brakes all around, points, plugs, crank windows, yada, yada. When you opened the hood there was a little motor and nothing else. Could not get any simpler.

Now 57 years later I still own a Ford product, yet when you open the hood it takes a few minutes to even find the freaking dipstick.

The '61 was a pita. The choke had to be adjusted for Winter, then back again for Summer. Brakes and tires were needed way too often. Tune-ups were annual, and it still never ran right. Constantly tinkering.

OTOH the 2018 is a marvel of Engineering and everything works perfect. I'm sure it will break eventually, but in the meantime I'm enjoying it.

I'm using this as an analogy for boats.

If you tell me you like old motors because new ones are too expensive, I can buy that. Also, I assume you fix them yourself because mechanics are few and far between.

If you tell me you like old ones because they are more reliable, I don't agree.

Nevertheless, what's so good about America is that we all have our likes and dislikes and we have the ability to do whatever we want.
Well you make a great point Jim, and i agree with ya i guess it depends on who you ask and talk to about old and new tech stuff. But i do fined that many old things i have are built so much better then todays things, and still serve me well. In my opinion (and some will disagree with me) you don't really get what you pay for these days, when buying anything, very very few things built today really don't last like the old stuff, And this is done on purpose to get you to go out and buy more! my point here ? bring our jobs back, and the quality and craftsmanship that used to make America great, and stop letting China do that for us....