Boat slammed into reverse going 30mph??????

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Boat slammed into reverse going 30mph??????

This is NOT the forum for the drinking and driving debate, so stop it.
He is asking about engine and drive problems. Stick with that problem in your future answers.
If you want to post about drinking and driving boats, head for dockside chat and have at it. But not HERE.

cheburashka

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm wondering about the mechanics of this. How much forward pressure is put on the prop by a boat that's moving forward under its own momentum? I don't see how it could be as bad as shifting a car into reverse while underway. On my boat, you'd have to throttle down before shifting into reverse, so I would think all you'd get with my boat would be a lot of heavy duty prop slip. Am I wrong about this?

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Man you have been snippy lately Don....
.... Has someone been asking ya to work on 20 year old OMC's or something?
:)

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

I bet you hydrolocked the engine and stripped out the ring gear in the starter when you tried to start it. The loud whining noise is the starter motor freewheeling. Follow Don's advice, but be prepared to change the starter soon. You don't want water sitting in your cylinders for long.

samm835

Chief Petty Officer

"Man you have been snippy lately Don....
.... Has someone been asking ya to work on 20 year old OMC's or something?"

CaptJason

LOL HA HA HA
I was thinking the exact samething!!!

tripc

Seaman Apprentice

Dude, I hope you get out of this as cheap as possible.

If you haven't already, do as others have said and pull plugs looking for water. When you say it got hot, what do you mean? Did you hear steam? Did the gage read hot? When you opened the engine compartment, was there extra heat coming out than you're used to? The fact that it shut off isn't a big deal in and of itself. Cars with autos will do the same if they are put in reverse when in motion (forward). Don't ask how I know this. Okay, how do I know this? I did it when I was a punk teenager driving the Olds station wagon. But, it started right up again, although that might be why the tranny went out not long thereafter.

So, the heat thing has me puzzled. But you may have done a few things in the drive:
bent driveshaft...not likely but possible.
thrashed gears...possible and probable
bent or busted u-joints in the drive shaft.
Any of these could prevent the engine from cranking, depending on how far up the damage went.

Define what you mean by it got hot. That has my puzzled. As others have said, keep us posted on the outcome.

SOLER

Just like anything else when this kind of crap happens..I cant really explain.. After the boat stopped and i tried to start again, the temp got well over 160.. In the 180-200 range..My boat usally sits in the 160 range... It got hot and would not start.. After I let the motor cool back down to 160ish range I tried it again..That is where the starter just spun (whine). Before it cooled down when i TRIED to start it. It just clunked like it was a dead battery or something...

My mechanic hopefully is going to look at it today and I will post what he finds...

samm835

Chief Petty Officer

I am going to be optimistic here, maybe by chance the starter just happened to go out around the same sime this happened and the battery went dead from re-starting it to many times and the battery was dead from years of use and being set from winter.....this COULD happen. Did you try to start once at home on the muffs after the boat(gas/carb) had time to sit(do what DON said remove plugs)? Good luck keep us updated. (psst I have a beer or two no more tho on the lake LOL HA HA)

njlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think Don spoke for a lot of us. This is an "engine problems" post.

Cptkid570

Ensign

I don't know your engine/drive, In mine (older) if the engine coupler or gears in the outdrive are stripped, then it won't turn my impellor because my impellor is in the outdrive...

180shabah

Rear Admiral

I don't know your engine/drive, In mine (older) if the engine coupler or gears in the outdrive are stripped, then it won't turn my impellor because my impellor is in the outdrive...

He has a B3 so the pump is engine mounted, not in the drive.

Most likey there will be a drive replacement though. He went from 3000RPM in one direction to probably 2000RPM in the opposite direction, this = damage.
Drives don't even like shifting from neutral at 1000RPM.

Unfortunately, this could get very expensive before it is all said and done.

tripc

Seaman Apprentice

Update!!!!!

My mechanic was feeling pretty sure that it was just the starter.. Well after replacing the starter he found out that it was not that and thinks that it is the flywheel..

He looked at the drive and said that was in good shape:D:D:D..Thank god.. But now he has to pull the boat out of the water and pull the motor.. Lets hope and pray that its the flywheel.. he thinks a bolt might have spun off or something which that would be an easy fix.....

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Just curious how on earth this so called mechanic can "look" at the drive (with the boat in the water) and pronounce it good....

then after selling you a starter he decides it has to be the flywheel spinning off bolts.....

How did he ever come up with that crock of shat?

Knot Waiting

I agree with bomar76 on that underwater drive service bit. Im curious what bolts would have come loose/out simultaneously with the incident on the lake. Sheared, maybe, but I wouldnt know what would cause that since nothing should have been in contact with the fluwheel if the starter pinion gear retracted properly at start-up.

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

First off if he is pulling the motor to change the flywheel. Get a new coupler and have him put it on. You coupler took ALOT strain ( if it is still intact) when your friend did this. I would wager, if it is still intact, that if you don't replace it now you will be sometime soon. But, when sometime soon comes you ( or someone you are going to pay alot) will have to pull the engine again. Save your self some money and peace of mind and replace the coupler now.

Coors

Captain

"Man you have been snippy lately Don....
.... Has someone been asking ya to work on 20 year old OMC's or something?"

CaptJason

LOL HA HA HA
I was thinking the exact samething!!!

And the problem with a 20 year old OMC is....??
Mine works fine. And no rusted bolts to deal with. (After you overhaul, and replace a lot of stuff, it's like new-oughta last a couple more years, fingers crossed, hehe)

204 Escape

Ensign

I'm curious. Is the "friend" going to help pay for the damages ?? :confused:

180shabah

Rear Admiral

I'm curious. Is the "friend" going to help pay for the damages ?? :confused:

He should be expected to, if he wasn't given the proper training before being handed the keys, how can he be expected to know exactly how everything functions on a boat? Most people when put in a stressful situation will tense up, my guess is that that tension manifested itself as a tighter than normal grip on the shifter, resulting in the squeezing of the release for the shift lock. I don't know exactly what control he has, but on mine(and many others) the release is underneath the handle, so if you just use a relaxed grip to pull the handle back to neutral, it will not go into reverse. However, if you grasp the handle and squeeze, it would be very easy for someone who was anxious to overshoot neutral and go straight to reverse.

A good friend will probably offer to help, but a better friend will tell him, just don't do it again.

Dakota47

Aw quit Bsing us there is no friend.. we know you did it , now cough up to it..

tripc

Seaman Apprentice

Update!!!!!!!

I need a new motor....:( Exhaust flap got heated up some how and melted letting water into the motor and sent a rod straight thru the oil pan... This is gonna be a great summer........:mad::mad::mad:

Looking at about 7000 for a new motor!!!

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Update!!!!!!!

I need a new motor....:( Exhaust flap got heated up some how and melted letting water into the motor and sent a rod straight thru the oil pan... This is gonna be a great summer........:mad::mad::mad:

Looking at about 7000 for a new motor!!!

Odd how this "mechanic" you have on the case didn't notice there was no oil in the engine, or the 5 quarts of oil in the bilge...and install a starter while oblivious to this.....

honestly, this whole story kinda smells...