Boat slammed into reverse going 30mph??????

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Boat slammed into reverse going 30mph??????

The boat shut of isntantly and started to get real hott... It would not crank back on..It just went clunk..
Yeah, I'm with Bomar and whywhyzed too. I don't know how this coulda chucked a rod . . . It wasn't running when the boat stopped right? How did it overheat if it wasn't running? I understand heat soak, but that wouldn't kill it. Something ain't kosher here? I'd sure like to hear from somebody experienced about whether they will spin backwards from this maneuver. My noodlin' says it would stop and that's it. Maybe break something in the drive, but . . . the engine???? Maybe it tried to start? Had water in the cylinders, ran for a little bit, and then started overheating? That makes a little more sense . . . They can stick a rod out of the pan if they windmill :eek:

FWIW, my buddy's daughter did this to a Volvo Duo-prop last year and there is a weak coupler in the drive that breaks to save everything, designed to do this. Not sure about a Bravo 3 . . . Oh, she didn't pay . . . :eek: :p :rolleyes:

tripc

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah, I'm with Bomar and whywhyzed too. I don't know how this coulda chucked a rod . . . It wasn't running when the boat stopped right? How did it overheat if it wasn't running? I understand heat soak, but that wouldn't kill it. Something ain't kosher here? I'd sure like to hear from somebody experienced about whether they will spin backwards from this maneuver. My noodlin' says it would stop and that's it. Maybe break something in the drive, but . . . the engine???? Maybe it tried to start? Had water in the cylinders, ran for a little bit, and then started overheating? That makes a little more sense . . . They can stick a rod out of the pan if they windmill :eek:

FWIW, my buddy's daughter did this to a Volvo Duo-prop last year and there is a weak coupler in the drive that breaks to save everything, designed to do this. Not sure about a Bravo 3 . . . Oh, she didn't pay . . . :eek: :p :rolleyes:

No the motor was not running.. After this happend the motor just stopped and would not start again... I did not hear anything like a broken rod or did not see any oil or smoke.... The only thing I dont understand is that when the mechanic thought it was the starter that he couldnt see any oil anywhere.. Thats what sounds so fishy to me....

imported_TheMan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Definitely seems pretty sketchy. I'm with the rest of the crew here. It seems like it should be a gear or coupler failure along the line somewhere. Maybe the engine broke a rod, but it would have been AFTER something else further back locked up. And if this happened, something didn't do its job, because the engine is NEVER designed to be the weakest link.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Next this "mechanic" will be selling you a Kneudson Valve...

paulrfrancisco

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did the mechanic test the starter after it was removed to confirm it was dead? If this mechanic was down that low in the engine compartment and did not see the oil in the bilge, I'd get another mechanic... Have im sho you the damage of your engine in your boat... Take pics for us all... I wouldn't pay for the starter or the labor to put it in at this point...

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Tri--- what part of the country are you in... It is becoming clearer and clearer that this guy may not know what he is doing. Then engine does not know that it is in fwd or reverse. So if he went from fwd to rev quick the damages should have been done at the weakest point probably the coupler, what connects the engine and drive, and then the drive. Before spending any money make sure it is going in the right direction.

Baylinercapri1987

Petty Officer 2nd Class

And the problem with a 20 year old OMC is....??
Mine works fine. And no rusted bolts to deal with. (After you overhaul, and replace a lot of stuff, it's like new-oughta last a couple more years, fingers crossed, hehe)

My omc Cobra runs good, and parts are easy to get. Whats the deal?

Coors

Captain

hush, don't upset the Omc bashers.

Uraijit

Banned

No, that's known as "post-whoring". It there's nothing relevant to say, there's no reason to keep bumping the thread.

BAYLINER185

Chief Petty Officer

Yea as soon as the mention of rod going through pan was said I invisioned the bildge full of 5 or 7 quarts of oil. Thats kind of hard to miss for sure.

Is it possible that this is the cheep and easy way to get a new motor put in by the insurance co?

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

The outdrive is irrelevant. The motor hydrolocked. I assure you the weakest link is the rod in this situation. It bent instantly on the compression stroke, and depending on the rpms when it happened, either pulled the piston out (new shorter rod) and jammed it on the next revolution, broke the rod, or gernaded the crank. They do normally come out of the side of the block, but I have heard of a few exiting the pan. The high temp was just normal heat soak after the motor stopped. I do question why he replaced the starter and would consider finding a new mechanic. I'm sorry for your bad luck, but consider it a very expensive lesson learned. Get someone else to look at it and let us know the outcome. He replaced a starter on a blown motor. He may not have a clue and all is well...but I fear he might be right.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, but like wow, fishmen, where did the water come from if his buddy caused this by grabbing reverse? If the engine died "instantly" (first post) then how does it hydrolock? If the water came instantaneously due to the quick stop (engine is off now) then the hydrolock happened during cranking (never ran again). I agree, could bend a rod, but windmill a rod at cranking speeds? I don't think so . . . So either it was running during and after the reverse maneuver and it kept running to windmill or the hydrolock and rod chuck came before the engine died. Which I guess could've happened, but it doesn't jive with the description in the first post and the clarification above.

Still weird to me. Also, it did break a coupler or other drive part as he said he could free wheel the prop in either forward or reverse and since he was grabbing the prop I assume it wasn't running . . . :eek:

tripc

Seaman Apprentice

UPDATE !!!!!! UPDATE!!!!!!

Brought the boat to Derebery Performance and Leon (great guy) talked to Mercruiser..... New long block will be sent to him next week and installed in the boat under warranty........:D:D:D:D:D

Lesson learned.. But thank god for an extended warranty......

erikgreen

Captain

But what caused the problem? What exactly happened?

Grrr. I hate not knowing.