Boat is in the shop. Sad day.

GMTK

Petty Officer 2nd Class
2004 Hurricane SD187 with a Volvo 4.3L GXI-E. 196 hours. All fluids changed last fall. New plugs, wires and dizzy cap changed earlier this year. New fuel filter installed last fall.
Went to take her out for the first time this year and she started right up but then idled very rough and didn’t want to keep running. Sat at the dock and let it run and at times it sounded like it was missing, then would get surges in the Rpms. Tried to take it out and it would just lose power. Made the call to head in and checked all the wires and found no issues. Spent two hours looking over things and made the call to take it to the shop. Oil looks fine. (I drained the engine prior to our winter storm here so not worried about a cracked block.)

Mechanic said it sounds like a fuel pump issue. Initial quote is $1800 for parts and labor. I live 3 hours from the boat now so making the repair on my own isn’t going to happen.
Interested to get any thoughts on this.

GMTK

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes. Drained everything. (Had an awesome buddy who ran over and did it for me). And talking to other guys near my shed, they don’t think it even got cold enough in the sheds to freeze.
What’s also weird is I ran the engine after the storm in my buddies drive way hooked up to a hose and it ran fine.
I use a fuel additive every time I fill up also.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Mechanic said it sounds like a fuel pump issue. Initial quote is $1800 for parts and labor.
being an efi volvo and based on your description/diagnose over the phone i'd say your mechanic is on the right track. and yeah, price sounds relative to parts and labor (not sure of the shop rate). those pumps are spendy, especially the dual pump assys.

testing the fuel pump pressure(s) will be a firm indicator if the problem is fuel related.

one indicator of a failing pump is an incredibly loud whine when the engine is running (they are typically noisy anyways)

GMTK

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So after doing some research it sounds like a fuel issue. I’m going to make a trip down to the boat this week and test the high and low pressure. I’m debating just going ahead and removing the fuel pump and injectors and sending the injectors off for cleaning and the pump off to be rebuilt. Found a guy who rebuilds them for $300. Seems it’s a known issue of paint coming off in the pump and then clogging parts. And a new pump is $900. Ouch.

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Have you checked or replaced the fuel regulator?

GMTK

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes. Pulled it out and it looked normal. I have the e-clip on mine.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Before paying $1800 for a new VP fuel cell, I would have that one rebuilt or try an aftermarket Amazon or ebay one for $200.

GMTK

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not a bad idea.

About 6 months ago I changed the dizzy cap, plugs and wires - any one think that could be causing this? I check gaps before plugs went it, and this last trip checked all the connections. Is it possible the dizzie cap moved a little bit and now the timing is off?

tpenfield

Staff member
Mechanic said it sounds like a fuel pump issue. Initial quote is $1800 for parts and labor. I live 3 hours from the boat now so making the repair on my own isn’t going to happen.
Interested to get any thoughts on this.
So, how does this play out when the mechanic replaces the fuel pump and it turns out not to be the problem? :unsure::oops::rolleyes:

GMTK

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Oh, 100% this is what scares the p out of me. Think I'm going to run down this week and pull the pump and injectors and send them off. $300 for the rebuild on the pump and $80 to have the injectors cleaned. So if that's not the issue, I'm only out $480 or so. My manual is in the boat shed so I was thinking about doing a compression test while I was down there.

GMTK

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Made the 3 hr drive to the boat today. Started up perfect but after running a little while started to idle rough. Pulled it out of the water and took the fuel filter off and boom, paint. Took the fuel pump off and paint is the issue. Also pulled the injectors. I’m ordering a refurb from a guy online as I’m not up for tackling this myself. Some pics attached. 793DFA49-27A9-476E-8357-4CF7A2F4247E.jpeg

Attachments

• 4A6A447C-0ED1-4092-9580-0790D4DEBE6C.jpeg
    4A6A447C-0ED1-4092-9580-0790D4DEBE6C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • DFC50CC3-A113-4D7D-955F-5EA0625578DF.jpeg
    DFC50CC3-A113-4D7D-955F-5EA0625578DF.jpeg
    554.1 KB · Views: 20
  • FullSizeRender.mov
    10.1 MB · Views: 0

GMTK

Petty Officer 2nd Class
UPDATE and solution.

Ordered a remanufactured fuel pump (with new high and low pressure pumps) from Mancavemechanic. Sent the injectors to be cleaned (the replaced the screens and o-rings also). Pulled the fuel rail and fuel supply and cleaned them out. Installed everything along with a new WIX filter and after priming she cranked and ran like brand new.

So anyone having loss of power, struggling starting, make sure you check for paint in your fuel pump housing and mancavemechanic was great with communication and fast shipping.

GMTK

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Based on my research (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) - years ago on a bunch of the engines Volvo painted the inside of the fuel pump at the factory. This includes the inside where the filter screws on to. Over time, gas, especially ethanol, ate the paint off and it ended up in the high and low pressure pump screens and could even make it way to the fuel pressure regulator and the injectors.