Boat Deck - Gluvit and Paint

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Boat Deck - Gluvit and Paint

Yes that's the right foam. I believe the sheet foam guys have bought varied thicknesses to be able to better fit it. I believe there's .5, 1 and 2" or something like that.

That trolling motor is sweet and would be a great one. I tried a transom mount for a bit last year and it was a pain in the rump. Constant steering needed amd I could barely fish. I scored a Motor Guide bow mount foot control off Craigslist for $75 but have not yet installed it. I recommend you check your local CL as well. There's always some trolling motors available around here for decent prices.

Omertis

Cadet

I have done quite a bit a research and what is your honest opinon from expierence. Since aluminum boats are quite a bit lighter... Mine is 19 ft and not sure how much it weighs but do you think a trolling motor with 50lbs of thrust would be able to move the boat with 6 people at 150lbs a piece pretty well???

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

A 12 volt 50 pound thrust trolling motor will need lot's of juice in that application,...

Omertis

Cadet

What do you mean? I'm guessin a 65lb-24v thrust would be more suitable huh. Just a few hunderd $$$ more too.

After talking with a buddy Im not so sure an electric bow mount trolling motor would be the best application for what I want to do - if i understand correctly thse are good for shore fishing and what not but are not that great for trolling through the middle of the lake at 5-10 mph??? Is that where a kicker comes into play. Im not too sure about which one would be best for me.

Omertis

Cadet

Nice!!! Now all I need to do if find a 9.9 kicker in my price range (300-500) get the motor link steering kit and a remote throttle control from controllking and I will be good to go... Any ideas i have checked craigslist and ebay for low prices but not any and iboats cheapest is like a grand haha, thanks for that link man. :)

Omertis

Cadet

By the way Ezmobee - Just got done watching a slideshow off all your photobucket pics and I have to say a 110% job from start to finish. Very nice good buddy!!!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Thanks a lot Omertis. My paint job went to s&%t but otherwise I'm very pleased. I'm soon going to be rebuilding the bow deck stronger and also constructing a box in the stern to mount a fishing seat. I got a bimini, the aforementioned trolling motor, and a GPS/fishfinder also to install. The best part is I REALLY love the boat. It's exactly what I set out to find and is turning out just how I want it.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Bow mounts are best suited for position fishing, Not necessarily on shore lines,..

When I am open water trolling I often use my bow mount to help steer the boat while the kicker provides propulsion,....

Omertis

Cadet

Did you fiberglass the seams of where your plywood butted up? It kinda looked like that but I wasn't for sure - that's a good idea. If you indeed did that, do you highly recommend me doing the same and is that stuff pretty thin so you wouldn't see much of a rise on the seems under carpet and did you just use the same old epoxy resin you used to seal the deck to put the fiberglass on?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I did add some glass cloth to my seams. I did it because I was using vinyl flooring and didn't want to see the seams under it. If was using carpet I probably wouldn't have bothered. It definitely didn't raise it any by the time I leveled it out using 2 coats of the same epoxy as the rest.

Omertis

Cadet

Alright ,ya I plan on using some 16oz rubber backed marine carpet so I should be able to skim by without fiberglassin the seams, I just notice the seams under the carpet now - but thats pry cause the deck is soaked, warped and 22 years old and they didn't use rubber backed carpet back then I guess. Sounds like a plan. Any leads on where to get $300-$500 7.5-9.9 kicker outboards from haha- besides craiglist or ebay?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Any leads on where to get $300-$500 7.5-9.9 kicker outboards from haha- besides craiglist or ebay?

Nah. CL is where little outboards come from :p I got my Evinrude 4HP off ebay years ago for $400 and thought it was a nice deal. It's an '89 though (which is like brand new in small outboards :D) and in excellent condition. Also a coule years ago a '98 Merc 9.9 came up on CL for $850 and I called my uncle, who was in the market, and told him to grab it immediately.

The best deals on little motors are often with a boat. I very often see little boats and trailers with 7.5-15HP motors on them for only $800-$1500. Keep the motor and you can probably resell the boat for $400-500 and make out pretty nicely.

Where are you located? And when are we gonna see some pics of this rig?

Omertis

Cadet

I am located in northeastern Wyoming. I wish I had some pics to put up right now - I don't have a garage or shop so I am relying on good warm weather to let me get the work done. Last week it was negative 40 below with the windchill, the last two days have been 50+ and the temp is starting to drop quickly again so may be 4-5 weeks before I can get my hands dirty. Just means more time to research and prep myself for my first restore. It will save lots of time since I am planning on having all material's required before hand - so all I gotta do is do it. And document with pics of course.. **ready for summer**

Omertis

Cadet

Earlier you said that your paint job went to s#!t, does that mean since i have an aluminum boat it pry wouldn't be worth it to try and paint it? I wasn't planning on it but since you painted your's what do ya think?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nah that's not necessarily true. I was told since my existing paint job was in good structural condition (not peeling or chipping) that it could just be roughed up and painted over with no priming. Well that apparently wasn't the case. I don't know if there was some kind of incompatibility between the two paints or what but the adhesion was definitely ruined. A number of guys have primed and painted with Rustoleum products and had good results. A few others have totally stripped theirs down, primed with an etching primer and painted. That's really the main thing with aluminum......any bare aluminum needs to be primed with a light coat of etching primer.

WT2

Seaman Apprentice

I am one of the other folks working on a bluefin. I pulled the entire floor and stripped it to the bottom. Most of my wood was rotten so I decided to do it all. I was able to pull my foam up in one piece once I drilled out the lateral supports,which made it nice to handle and I plan to put it back the same way with a little foam -in-a-can to help tighten it in. I filled my boat floor with water and then went under to look for leaks and man did I find em. Gluvit is in my future as well as a couple of hammers to try to tighted the rivits. I am glad I took it all apart because of some of the other problems I found I can now fix. The live well was ripped from the deck, the cooler was cracked, the window never fit correctly and I never liked the fact that I could not access under the deck. Just wanted to let you know that there are at least two of us out there destroying our boats just before prime fishing season. Good luck!