Boat Deck - Gluvit and Paint

Omertis

Cadet
Hello, I have a 1988 Blue Fin 1950 Sportsman 19' aluminum. I am preparing to take the old deck out and replace it with 3/4" plywood not PT. I have a few questions - I am going to replace the deck from the consoles back, if the deck from the consoles forward in the bow is good, i don't have to replace it do I? Also I am going to use Gluvit to seal the bottom and sides of the main deck, let it cure and install it - then gluvit the top after installation is complete. It is recomended to coat it with marine paint to protect it. If I order the marine paint online what is a sure bet kind? - and how will I be sure the paint is epoxy compatable or are all marine paints epoxy compatable? I also notice that they deck is riveted down. There are thin sheets of aluminum that run the width of the underside where each ply butts up to the next. I would like to re-use those but do you think the rivets will go through the wood sealed with gluvit to puncture the alumium on the bottom side? Just a few quesitons for now - thanks in advance for your advice! :)

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Boat Deck - Gluvit and Paint

Use the Gluvit to seal the rivets in the hull,....I would not use gluvit to seal the wood,...Plain old epoxy resin is the ticket for that,..

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to the forum Omertis. There are a couple Blue Fin restos going on right now for you to check out and a TON of Starcraft ones which are very similar (including mine). As mentioned, Gluvit would not be a very cost effective way to seal your wood. Use it on all the rivets and seams you can get to starting from the stern working forward. One quart was just enough to do my 18'. Since you're not tearing your deck out all the way forward you can probably get away with a quart as well. I sealed my deck boards with epoxy resin. You could also use polyester resin but you would need to add fiberglass with that as it's brittle by itself. I went with marine vinyl for my floor coating and I'm very happy with it. Good old Rustoleum with sand added to it works well also. You can used rivets or deck screws to fasten down your boards.

Omertis

Cadet

Thanks Teamster & ezmobee for your help - I appreciate it. I didn't plan on sealing up the hull at all, but now that you mention it should I? If so do I only need to do it on the inside along the seams, or on both inside and outside? Teamster you mentioned plain old epoxy resin for the wood, any ideas or links I can get that exact stuff by chance (home depot)? Everywhere I look has so many different options that are not very specific. Also with the epoxy resin does it need to be painted afterwards for UV protection? I plan on putting some 16oz marine carpet down with the Lancer adhesive iboats supplies. Thanks Guys - especially for helping me save a few bucks!!! : )

With the epoxy resin, will I need to buy a specific harder to be mixed with it?
While under the deck if the flotation foam is done for where might I be able to get some good foam?

Also I am looking for a decent trolling motor do you think this one would be suitable for my application ? v

http://www.iboats.com/50lb-54-Shaft...8517057--**********.335472689--view_id.730317

Huron Angler

Admiral

You aren't going to find a good deal on any resin locally in big box stores or anywhere else. uscomposites.com is a source that many use, I personally went thru clarkcraft.com for my epoxy resin.

The Bluefins are nice aluminum boats, I've seen many around here for years and they are pretty similar to Starcrafts.

I would absolutely want to use gluvit on all rivets and seams, even if it doesn't leak now if will protect against future leaky rivets and provide peace of mind.

Welcome to iboats and good luck:)

The epoxy is not UV resistant, but you won't need to worry if carpet or marine vinyl is going over the deck. I don't like carpet in boats myself...but it does look nice when you first install it:D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Gluvit just from the inside the seams and rivets. My application looked like this (kinda tough to see) http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/New Boat/DSCF2258.jpg I think any time you have a tin boat opened up, you should take the opportunity to apply Gluvit. Nice ensurance against future leaks. You won't find the epoxy for you floors at a home center. I got mine from here http://www.clarkcraft.com/cgi-suppl...esin&*******=9dc4fdd1e5a2e3ba99a65448a569d333 Another option is US Composites (also online). The Home Depot Roberts 6700 carpet adhesive is awesome and fairly cheap. epoxy does need to be painted to protect it from UV but I wouldn't think you'd need to paint it if you're putting carpet over it. Very few of us are going back with carpet but that's obviously a personal preference. We'd love to see some pics of your project.

Omertis

Cadet

Alright Awesome - thanks for the words of wisdom. I will certinaly post pics as the project gets under way - it is still way to cold here so I am in the preparation stages.

I checked out that site for epoxy resins and I have about
200 square feet to cover - how many gallons do you think would be enough it doesn't really say?

The same site also offers flotation foam - I have no idea how much I would need - how much would you reccomend I get planning on taking out all the old foam and replacing it with the foam it yourself foam.

That Picture of the gluvit on the hull is very helpfull - you dont happen to have a whole thread of your restore from start to end with Pics do you - just a shot in the dark. Thanks again

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That Picture of the gluvit on the hull is very helpfull - you dont happen to have a whole thread of your restore from start to end with Pics do you - just a shot in the dark. Thanks again

Sure do, look at the link in my signature for the 18' SS. I managed to put almost 3 gallons of resin on my deck. My wood was really thirsty though. What most of us are doing is putting two coats on the bottoms, one coat on the top (hit the edges with every coat), installing it in the boat, and then applying the final coat. That seals all your fastener holes. Few of us are fans of pourable foam in aluminum hulls. In a number of cases, we've seen it trap water against the hull and cause corrosion. We're generally using the pink or blue sheet foam from Lowes/Home Depot or pool noodles.

Huron Angler

Admiral

While you are at it...after you read that thread...go ahead and check out the "completed" section and look for NB's Sunchief project to see where the bar has been set.:D

There are tons of aluminum restorations, and good info in almost all of them.:)

Omertis

Cadet

I would like to replace the flotation foam under my deck once I get it out. I can't find a thred that really goes into depth about the process so can you help me. I checked home depot tonight and I can't really find any pink or blue foam to use. So could I use the 2 part foam process? If so - can i mix it and pour it in before I put my floor down to make it level with the stringers? Perhaps letting it go above the stringers so I can shave it down to be flush with them and then install my deck on top???

Just out of curiosty would 2 part DIY foam react with aluminum or gluvit in anyway??

Any thoughts appreciated - Thanks

veilside180sx

Petty Officer 1st Class

The Blue (Lowes) and Pink (Home Depot) foams are usually on the very back wall, in the lumber dept. They come in 4x8 sheets, and then you cut it up to fit your application. (Comes in 3/4-2")

I would like to replace the flotation foam under my deck once I get it out. I can't find a thred that really goes into depth about the process so can you help me. I checked home depot tonight and I can't really find any pink or blue foam to use. So could I use the 2 part foam process? If so - can i mix it and pour it in before I put my floor down to make it level with the stringers? Perhaps letting it go above the stringers so I can shave it down to be flush with them and then install my deck on top???

Just out of curiosty would 2 part DIY foam react with aluminum or gluvit in anyway??

Any thoughts appreciated - Thanks

Omertis

Cadet

Alright I ran across some pink foam but the guy helping me was sure it would do nothing but soak up water. If i were to use that do I just put it in the hull or glue it down or secure it in any way. I take it ya'll are not for the 2 part foam very much. If that is what is in there wouldn't i be best off just doing the same thing? Thanks Guys have a good day!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The pink foam will not soak up water at all. Heck I read somewhere from someone who had dug up a piece of if from a construction site that had been buried for a number of years and it was bone dry. While I'm sure today's pourable stuff is better than it used to be, it still has a tendency to get water-logged with repeated exposure. Tin boats tend to get a little leaky over time (though Gluvit will greatly help this). Poured foam, poured directly against the aluminum, could become waterlogged and trap water against the hull. That's when corrosion can occur and we've seen it on here now a number of times with resto projects that have been done on newer hulls that had poured foam. This is ALL anecdotal for sure. If poured foam ends up being your chosen method that's fine. As it was OEM, it's certainly not wrong. What's most important, is that if the unthinkable happens when you're out on the water you have this to hold on to http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/063Small.jpg as opposed to it sinking like a stone and you treading water. If you do go with pourable, I would lay a layer plastic down first.

You might want to check out djpeters' Starcraft restoration. His came with pourable foam and he is considering going back with it however he's thinking of pouring the foam in such a way that it ends up in blocks that will sit on top of the ribs thus allowing for good drainage.

Omertis

Cadet

Haha you got me... Pool noodles are a fun creative and realistic way of getting the job done - even better with allowing some water flow throughout the hull with the noodles sitting on the ribs which really sold me on the idea as well as easy removal if it ever needs a tearing into again. I would imagine the noodles would last quite along time as well. I am working with a 19' aluminum 1988 Blue Fin 1950 Sportsman - so how many noodles do you think I would need to be on the safe side? My only concern is that 2 part A and B foam if done correctly really adds that extra strength to the hull and boat itself so smashing into waves with a more solid boat then not so solid. Im not sure if pool noodles can offer that same security. Sure its good for flotation and ect but what about the hull and overall boat strength and peace of mind?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Omertis

Cadet

Alright cool - I will try and find some pool noddles in bulk, where did you get your's do you remmeber? - does it matter if I get the one's with holes in them or not. I would think the solid ones would be better but just curious? I am having trouble opening the pictures so my apologies for the detailed questions.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You're having trouble opening photobucket pics? That's weird. This is my whole album http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/New Boat/ can you open that one?

When I bought my noodles I didn't want to drive all over town picking them up a handful at a time (especially since it was wintertime). Sure I probably could have gotten them for like $1 a piece but what a pain. Others have reported being able to order them on Dollar Tree's web site and having them shipped to the store. Unfortunately I just now checked into that and do not see them on their site. Maybe a seasonal thing. I ordered mine from here: http://www.flaghouse.com/Water-Noodle-Set-Set-of-24-item-8052 and got 3 cases. Pretty pricey. However the pink/blue foam isn't cheap. I didn't go with noodles to be cheap, I went with them so I didn't have to deal with all the trouble and mess of cutting the sheet foam. It was worth it too when I had all my noodles installed in minutes only needing a big pair of scissors (I actually used tin snips) to cut them to length. Maybe you can find a better price or a wholesaler to sell them to you.

Omertis

Cadet

Yeah I was excited about it but I do have a budget to work with and after looking around the cheapest I can find the noodels in bulk are around $60 for a 24 set. Which would pry come out to about $250 in the end for 4 sets or 96 noodles to have more than not enough. It hard because I have no idea how much cubic feet of DIY 2 part foam from clarks I would need but even the 4 gallon set which would cover 20 cubic feet( $198.00) is cheapr than the noodles would be. Torn

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I think the sheet foam is more cost effective. And easier to buy more and/or return the excess if need be.