Boat Deck - Gluvit and Paint

Omertis

Cadet
Re: Boat Deck - Gluvit and Paint

Haha thank you WT2 for your 2 cents. Much appreciated... What year is your blue fin? I wasn't planning on taking out the foam or anything. If there were any leaks I could just gluvit the outside and hopefully take care of them. My deck is completey soaked and not drying any time soon. Just makes me wonder what kinda shape the foam is in. Not planning on replacing it but would like to prepared if I need to so I would just use the pink foam home depot offers. I am going to order a small thing of gluvit just in case. But only when im tearing into it will i figure things out...

Omertis

Cadet

I have my pedastals on the way and I have a few questions about the installation of them since I can't find a detailed answer anywhere. Mine have the 9" diameter bases but will not be insterted in or below the deck. So my question is what is the point of removing the carpet where the base will sit so it is flush with the wood besides the fact that you can pre drill small holes - put some sealant in there then screw the pedastal down for added water protection. And/or is this the required way of doing it. In other words could I lay my carpet and install the pedastals on top? I really dont want to lay new carpet and have to cut hole in it for the pedastals... Thanks for your help.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I wouldn't cut the carpet. I'd still shoot a little 5200 in the holes.

Omertis

Cadet

Alright that is what I will do, thanks ezmobee! I started the reupholstrey on all the side panels the other day. Alot more work than I thought it would be but definatly a good expierence and will be well worth it come nice weather!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I find the lack of pictures in this thread....disturbing :p

Omertis

Cadet

Lol alright - it is my first time upholstering so be easy on me, I will post some of the upholstery work this weekend I promise. But until summer rolls around I wont be able to snap and boat pics which is where the good stuff happens.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

How bout sumthun like this...

newcarpet2.jpg

Omertis

Cadet

Hey, I know that we have already been over flotation foam and ect. for under the deck. I am leaning towards the home depot pink foam. But I am not sure if I can calcuate the pound density and all that stuff or even how much I would need for a 19' aluminum boat with a 125 hp and possibly a 9.9 outboard in the future. If I have to completey replace it all, I want to put the right amount in in case of future disaster. Any suggestions? Thanks

Hey there fellow aluminum boat owners! I have an 87 sea nymph 191 cc. I have been working on my deck as well. I pulled up all the watter logged wood and foam and cleaned the empty hull. I then sealed all the rivits and seams with gulvit. After cutting the new plywood for the deck I sealed both sides with epoxy resin. With all the floor panels rivited in place I drilled 1 inch holes everywhere I wanted foam(everywhere). I used the 2 part stuff from US composites worked great. The foam expanded nicely and sealed off the holes I had drilled. Next i sanded down the overflow of foam and scuffed up the whole deck. I used 4 inch fiberglass strips and more resin to create a watertight seam around the entire perimiter. Then one last thick coat of resin across the whole deck to smooth out any imperfections. My next step is going to be sand and some sort of enamel paint for non skid. This is my first resto. and I have to say I am quite happy with how it is turning out.

With that said, it sounds like you are on the right track. But my reccomendation for foam it the 2 part expanding stuff, however west marine wants 99 bucks for a quart of it. Buy it online. GOOD LUCK!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Hey, I know that we have already been over flotation foam and ect. for under the deck. I am leaning towards the home depot pink foam. But I am not sure if I can calcuate the pound density and all that stuff or even how much I would need for a 19' aluminum boat with a 125 hp and possibly a 9.9 outboard in the future. If I have to completey replace it all, I want to put the right amount in in case of future disaster. Any suggestions? Thanks

Pack as much in as you can. You can always return the excess (full sheets only obviously).

my reccomendation for foam it the 2 part expanding stuff, however west marine wants 99 bucks for a quart of it. Buy it online. GOOD LUCK!

Too many of us have found corrosion under the poured in foam which is why we are typically avoiding it for aluminum hulls.

Omertis

Cadet

Thanks for your advice betterthannothin - always great to hear success stories and new ideas! Ezmobee- with the pink foam, I'm guessing I would have a bunch of small pieces to fit in between stringers and ribs and what not. Do the individual pieces need to be glued together or glued to the underside of the deck or the hull or the stringers or can they just be loose and moving around down there? Also I notice some people that only put foam on the outside of the stringers but not right down the middle of the hull, whats up with that? Thanks again :)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I can't comment too much on the foam board as I didn't use it. The people who left it open in the middle probably had ski lockers or something they were leaving room for. I suppose you could glue them together but I wouldn't glue them to the hull or deck.

Omertis

Cadet

Thanks a bunch, after looking at the pics of the pink foam I have a better idea of what to do. That guy said he cut and installed them so water was still able to run out and not get blocked. I wonder if he did this by first laying a long flat piece horiztonaly on the ribs so there is a small gap between the hull and top of the ribs and then just put many small pieces verticaly in between the stringer and the side of the hull on top of the flat piece if that makes any sence lol. Whatchya think - for installing this foam and not blocking water in? Thanks!!! :) I think we got a winner for foamation!

Omertis

Cadet

I have a new question, and I know this is not the correct forum - just trust the few guys that have taken the time too help me on this forum. I was looking at the back of my boat today on the inside. THere is a rib type bracket for suppot that connects from the bottom of the hull to the transom and only like 2 inches thick. On the top of this where it is screwed into the transom the bottom half of both sids are cracked and when we shake the bottom of the motor some I can tell some flex where the cracks are. Trying to avoid taking the transom apart in anyway - would it be wise to make some sort of bracket like this __/---\__ :the --- are where the bracket is so it would be very snug. Would this work, or if it was too much support that does not allow for flex would it cause structial damage? I have a 125 hp on ther now and the transom is in good shape excpet for this support bracked on the inside of the hull. Also wanting too add a 100lb + or - kicker motor eventually with a motor bracked. Not sure if this is a very important part of support. Will try and gets pics soon, thanks.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'll PM fshngho and ask him to post. As I recall he had the same issue with his knee brace.

Omertis

Cadet

Alright that would be awesome, thanks man. At least some good news, I was able to see and touch some of the flotation foam in the very back and from what I can tell it all looks good so far.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yep, but searching is hard. I sure wasn't gonna do it :p

fshngho

Lieutenant

Omertis, I had splits down the flange of my knee brace. You can check out my thread to see what I did but here are a few pics.
HPIM2079.jpg
[/IMG]
This is the tube I used, 3/16" wall
I had formed it to fit, but once I bent it and checked it to fit.
HPIM2085.jpg
[/IMG]
Photo019.jpg
[/IMG]
I ended up using more 3/16" angle brackets because where I bent the brace had become weak. I used the 3/16" rivets to attach everything and if you notice, I had even attached the knee brace to a new cross member I had made and attached to the stringers. Good Luck my friend. (Thanks EZ for the PM)