Blue and Red bow navigation light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cannondale

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Blue and Red bow navigation light

Yellow turn signal tape from auto parts store - presto chango:

DSC05174sm.jpg

Nice! That worked out great! Looks good.

fishrdan

Admiral

Wow, that worked out better than I thought it would. Looks great!

asdasc

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That did turn out nice!

Keep an eye out when going into larger or older marine stores. There were very few lense designs back in the day, and you will be surprised to find replacement lenses for very reasonable. I just found them for my 60's run about. It is always nice to have a spare.

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

Hey, thanks for trying the yellow tape. That looks like it worked out great. Going to do the same to my blue lens.

-- Jeff

garzilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice!

I'm leaving mine blue though ;P

TregoMark

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Nice!

I'm leaving mine blue though ;P

When the light is off though, the light still looks blue. With the yellow tape on the inside, it only turns green when the light is on. :D

Robbabob

Senior Chief Petty Officer

See now that's what corn fuses me....i don't have a "sea" in illinois....i assume lake michigan would be it?

I plan on taking a boating course sometime over the winter though.......

We all know what they say about assumptions.........lol.

For inland (rivers), red-right-returning is when you're heading up river or into an inlet/bay/marina/etc. Similar in mindset as returning from sea, you are heading inland, into port.

I've not been "on" Lake MI, but I"ve been around the ports and marinas to see the same; heading into a harbor/marina, the red bouy will be on your right (regardless of which side of the lake you are on).

Quite frankly, it is very easy when both bouys/markers are visible across the opening -- keep it between the markers (and visualize it is a two way street without a center stripe, then stay to your right). :)

It is MOST important to know this rule when you are traveling and only 1 marker is in the middle of the river. You know the river is shallow... are you headed up or down river? is that bouy green or red? The depth sounder is not working and the water is murky! Heading UP river, a green bouy is kept to your Port (left), since there is no red bouy to catch the phrase red-right-returning.

Boaters safety course is of #1 importance. Good for you!

Enjoy! :cool:

sasto

Captain

Cool looking light.

How about putting a piece of clear yellow tape behind the blue lens, so it turns green when the light is on. I've seen yellow tape at auto parts stores before, it's for repairing broken tail lights.

Brilliant.....I must say!

PGFISHER

Petty Officer 1st Class

The blue lens was used back in the days when incandescent bulbs put out a very yellow biased light, because using a green lens would make for a very dark green, and therefor less visible light. Modern bulbs put out a more white light and the blue lens emits a more blue light. The yellow tape is about the only way to get it back to green without changing lenses. In the '60's, aircraft wingtip lenses were red and blue, but glowed red and green, because blue and yellow make green.

Status
Not open for further replies.