Chevy Trans cooler Install

JSGAuto

Cadet
Hi Everyone,

I am about to install a trans cooler on my '95 Chevy Tahoe. I would like to put it on the "In" line to the radiator.

How can I tell which line is in and out?

Thanks
Jim

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: Chevy Trans cooler Install

I would call your local Chevy dealer.My Tahoe has the Factory installed cooler but i never actually looked at the lines close enough to know what one is in or out.

RobG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you run around the neighborhood a few minutes, you can feel which line is coming out from the transmission, it will be hot, the other one coming out of the radiator should be a bit cooler.

Rob

Jack Daniels

Petty Officer 1st Class

in reality it really doesnt matter which line you hook it too. If you go before the radiator your just lowering the cooler efficency five percent. They are designed to run after the radiator for 100 percent efficency. I might be wrong but i dont think the five percent lose in cooling will make that much of a difference. Good luck, just my .02 cents.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There are very good reasons for installing it either line but they are not what you may think. Installed in the "input to the radiator" the tranny fluid will be cooled before it gets to the radiator. That fluid passing through the tranny cooler build into the radiator is therefore cooler than the antifreeze so it draws some of the heat from the cooling system. However, that same fluid picks up radiator heat so re-heated fluid goes back to the tranny. So this scenario would be used to help a slight "engine overheat tendency" when towing. Installing the cooler in the "return line to the tranny" removes heat from the fluid before it gets back to the tranny which is the purpose of the cooler in first place.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer

JSG,

A really easy way to tell which line is which is to remove BOTH lines from the radiator, stick a long hose on each one and lead the hoses into a drain pan. Have a buddy start the engine, or start the engine yourself and use your cat like reflexes to quick run and look which hose fluid is comming out of and quick run back and shut her down. Now you'll know which hose goes "into" the radiator.
Depending on how quick you are you'll only lose a quart, maybe two of fluid, it comes out at a good flow but it won't shoot out or spray all over the place.
Don't worry, you wont ruin anything doing this.

Heck, while your at it, run the engine with the hoses diconnected until the tranny oil flow just starts to taper off, shut her down, refill, do this about 3 times and you just flushed out your tranny and you'll have fresh fluid.

xltier

Chief Petty Officer

the top line on the bell housing is the return.i do this for a living.put the cooler after the radiator,the radiator cooler is the most efficient.plus u want to use a tube and plate type cooler.those ones like hayden and such that just have a s shaped tube thru a bunch of fins are a most of time.the fluid goes thru to fast.i have tested on plow trucks and sander type trucks and the tube anf plate type run 30 degrees cooler on average.they are more ,money but they work.its the same type that the oem uses.

JSGAuto

Cadet

Thanks!

I bought the biggest plate style one I could find. 12" x 12" x 1" B&M. This thing is huge! Should get the job done! I also tow an 18' box trailer (recent purchase from a small open trailer) with my tools, spares, and racecar. That is really heavy, so this is a necessity.

Thank you!
Jim