best remedy for seasickness

BUBBLES II

Seaman Apprentice
Re: best remedy for seasickness

Scuda is right about stomach acids. Give them something to do. I say eat and eat lots. I usually have bacon and eggs before going out. Most times, it's the guys who skip breakfast that have problems with their stomachs.

scotty c

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sea sickness is directly related to the amount<br />of beer you consume the night before !

ALAG3

Seaman

Dramamine the night before and the morning of the trip usually takes care of it for me...but if not, get plenty of fresh air while running out or back in. Also, getting into the water for a few minutes usually alleviates the symptoms for me...

Drowned Rat

Captain

The problem with motion sickness remedies is that antihistamines are the only thing that really work. Benadryl, Phenergan, Dramamine, etc... <br /><br />There are two meds available by prescription that only cause mild or no drowsiness. The first is Antivert, this can also be had in non-prescription strength OTC as Dramamine 2. AKA Meclizine. The 2nd prescription choice is Scopolamine. This is a patch and has very mild or no side effects. Otherwise if you must take an OTC antihistamine, but must be alert, try taking a No Doze caplet every few hours. It's a 200mg dose of caffeine and it will keep you awake. Or, just drink alot of coffee. :D

DangerDan

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK call me mean but on the way fishing I stopped for the kids to get something to eat. They both chose a box of donuts and choco milk. As we drove to the lake, (Lake Mi.) I watched as the chomped every last doughnut and gobbled down that milk to the last drop. As they ate I chuckled to myself. Don't get me wrong I didn't know they were going to get sick but hey.... needless to say RALPH was the guest of honor that day. I always ask on the way now, Hey wanna stop & get some donuts??? NOOOO they say.

saxis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Remedy: Catch more fish!<br /><br />I deckhanded charter boats for a few years and found that continuously catching fish will clear it right up! On the days when we couldn't keep them off our hooks I didn't feel it at all. Many of our customers found that beer doesn't help, and chasing live anchoveys with beer doesn't help either. If you have enough time between bites to drink beer or eat your live bait, you'll probably get sick! :D

mattttt25

Commander

i'll disagree with pretty much everyone. sure, like anything, it can get into your head and you can get yourself sick. and staying topside, focusing forward, and avoiding sudden movement may help you keep it down. but some people just can't handle it, or haven't built the tolerance.<br /><br />during my sea tour in the navy, we exclusively used meclazine (also called bonine). great product. as it was provided to us, you would take one pill 6 hours before ship's movement, one 2 hrs prior, and one 2 hrs after getting underway. (3 doses, every 4 hrs). did make you a little tired, but not too bad. never saw someone get sick who took the proper dosage. once it wore off, you had your sea legs and were set for the rest of the underway.<br /><br />you can find the product marketed as bonine at west marine, and probably other marine stores. i'd follow the directions for taking it, but the key is always to get it in your system prior to going out.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Meclizine is also know as Dramamine 2. You can find it in any drug store. And I agree, of the over the counter choices, it is by far the best.

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Been boating for as long as I care to remember, and having read this post right through ... I'll never go to sea again!

txswinner

Banned

Tried to convince my wife sex would make it stop but it did not work.

rperla

Seaman

Try the following, works for me.<br />Bonine Motion Sickness Protection, Raspberry Flavored Chewable Tablets 8 ea <br /> <br /> <br /> our price: $4.09 <br /> quantity: <br /> <br /><br /><br />availability: in stock<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> Flexible Spending Account eligible. See details <br /> <br /> <br />This item qualifies for Everyday Free Shipping. See details<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br />(Shopping is safe and secure) <br /> <br /> <br /> buy a larger size & save 18% (per unit) <br /> see all products in motion & nausea <br /> visit our Bonine Store <br /> view package details <br /> read customer reviews <br /> write a review <br /> add item to <br /> e-mail a friend about this item <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /><br /><br />Customers who bought this product also bought:<br /> • Aveda Shampure Shampoo - 8.5 fl oz <br /> • Comfort Bath Shampoo In A Cap Plus Conditioner - 1 ea <br /> • L'Oreal Kids 2 in 1 Shampoo, Extra Gentle, Burst of Cherry-Almond -... <br /> • Neutrogena T-Gel Shampoo, Original - 16 fl oz <br /> • click here to see more<br /><br /><br />Customers who shopped for this product also shopped for:<br /> • Advil Advanced Medicine for Pain, 200mg, Tablets - 225 ea <br /> • click here to see more<br /><br /> <br /><br /> <br /><br />All Day Protection. <br /><br />Meclizine Hydrochloride - Antiemetic.<br /><br />The Once-A-Day Travel Tablet. <br /><br />Prevents Motion Sickness. <br />Causes Less Drowsiness.<br />Bonine® works up to 4 times longer and causes less drowsiness than original dramamine.*<br /><br />Bonine protects travelers against air, sea and car sickness for up to 24 hours. Available in a convenient chewable tablet, Bonine can be taken without liquids - anytime, anywhere.<br /><br />*Bonine is not manufactured or distributed by the Upjohn Company, owner of the trademark Dramamine. <br /><br /> <br /><br /><br />Indications: <br />For the prevention and treatment of nausea, vomiting or dizziness associated with motion sickness. <br /><br /><br />Directions: <br />Bonine should be taken one hour before travel starts. Adults and children 12 years of age and over: Oral dosage is 1 to 2 tablets once daily, or as directed by a doctor.<br /><br />Recommended Storage: Store below 86°F (30°C).<br /> <br /><br /><br />Ingredients: <br />Active Ingredients: Meclizine Hydrochloride (25 mg)<br /><br />Inactive Ingredients: FD&C Red 40, Lactose, Magnesium Stearate, Purified Siliceous Earth, Raspberry Flavor, Saccharin Sodium, Starch, Talc <br /><br /><br />Warnings: <br />Do not take this product, unless directed by a doctor, if you have a breathing problem such as emphysema or chronic bronchitis, or if you have glaucoma or difficulty in urination due to enlargement of the prostate gland. Do not give to children under 12 years of age unless directed by a doctor. May cause drowsiness: Alcohol, sedatives and tranquilizers may increase the drowsiness effect. Avoid alcoholic beverages while taking this product. Do not take this product if you are taking sedatives, tranquilizers without first consulting with your doctor. Use caution when driving a motor vehicle or operating machinery. Do not exceed recommended dosage. Keep this and all drugs out of the reach of children. In case of accidental overdose, seek professional assistance or contact a Poison Control center immediately. As with any drug, if you are pregnant or nursing a baby, seek the advice of a health professional before using this product. <br /><br />Attention: Use only if tablet blister seals are unbroken.<br /> <br /><br /><br />©Pfizer <br /><br /> <br />our policies <br />• shipping policy <br />• return policy <br />• about our prices <br /><br />Search: <br /> <br /> <br />Can't remember where you saw something? Try these recently viewed areas:<br /> <br /> Recently viewed products:<br /> <br /> Bonine<br />Motion Sickness Protection, Raspberry Flavored Chewable Tablets - 8 ea our price: $4.09 <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br />click here to clear recently viewed areas <br /> <br /> <br />home | pharmacy | fsa store | medicine cabinet | personal care | hair care | beauty | skin care | vitamins | gnc store | diet & fitness | big brand sale | the natural store | household | the pantry | pet store | baby & kids | sexual well-being | discount contact lenses from vision direct | beauty.com

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

If not driving then get drunk. If upchuck you can blame it on the alchohol. The biggest thing is don't stare at one point too long. It will go away.

HeadHunt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have tons of experience in this area. I would chum with the best of em if I did not take the Drammine but it always made me too sleepy. The patch was too expensive and you had to apply it 12 hours before going out.<br /><br />The best for me is Scopace pills. They are RX but pretty cheap. 60 pills for about $18. Go to www.scopace.com. There is a chart from a detailed clinical study comparing about 20 different treatments and their effectiveness. Most treatments are worthless on susceptable folks like me but I can even drink beer and eat all day long if I take my scopace.<br /><br />HeadHunt

budlin00

Cadet

This works 100%! As told by my doctor... Jump in the water a few minutes. The body equates the equilibrium just like you are when you're in a pool or swimming in the ocean. Notice you never get sea sick when you swim? Even in a normal pool, you are moving a little bit. If you've ever swam in ocean waves, it's more or less the same thing. I don't get sea sick, but I did once because I went out fishing with pink eye, and couldn't see straight. The blurriness made me get sea sick. I jumped in and swam for about 5 minutes and it went away for about an hour. Did it again, and it went away again. Of course following the rules once you're back on board will help keep the sickness away as well.

crab bait

Captain

this post is makin' me sick..!! :) ..<br /><br />yeah, i've shot a 20 foot projectile before..<br /><br />the patches do work.. liked what HEADHUNT said.. kindasorta the same thing ecept taken orally..<br /><br />worst place for me is in the cuddy cabin..in seconds,, it's all she wrote..!!<br /><br /> sometimes no problem sometimes MAJOR..<br /><br />funny tho,, i never been sick in MY boat..<br /><br />i used thoses 6 buck wrist band node thingy's one time..<br /><br /> after the day was over,, i vowed to trackdown the inventor,, an pull every sq.inch of skin off his body with pliers..

Five O'Clock

Petty Officer 1st Class

I find as long as you stare out into the horizon and keep your eye on something you should be fine. Even if you're offshore and cannot see land or anything around you, just keep you eye on something, anything, it will work.

steve reuter

Cadet

i dive and fish get sick every time, keep eating dry heaves are the worst. a long time ago i drank a pepsi, didnt take long to spew that one up, tasted the same but it was clear, that was about the same time the clear pepsi came out on the market. bunch of pepsi reps blowing back in the bottle. as far as jumping in the water that works temporaraly just keep eating and drinking drive heaves sucks

woody1969

Cadet

Fresh air, eyes on the horizon, and crackers. Never been seasick but that cure worked for everyone that I had been around that was. Old crusty Navy Chiefs been telling everyone that for centuries.

flagler_beach

Seaman Apprentice

I pretty much agree with Fratalia17. When in an aircraft doing aerobatics or when skydiving, I do not experience problems. Some jumpers, when climbing to altitude through heavy clouds, experience instant vertigo when they lose visual references to the ground. The pilot tells them to fixate on a gauge on the instrument panel and it does work. Myself, when I go deep sea fishing I wear a Scopalamine patch. I probably wouldn't get sick but my MD says when you get out there isn't the time to find out. Leaves me with a cottonmouth taste but nothing I can't tolerate. Scopalamine (in large doses) used to be used as a truth serum so don't stick 'em all over your body and have a conversation with your wife, OK?