best method and device for inflating a two person tube

flywelder

Seaman Apprentice
I was told I should not use my shop air compressor to inflate my to man tube prior to leaving home. I do not have a foot pump;
some one suggested a 12 volt pump but was very vague as to the type and if this is a very fast method. What are all of your thoughts on this question? What should i use?

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: best method and device for inflating a two person tube

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=328175

Check this post out. It may help you.

And as far as the compressor goes. I use my pancake compressor quite abit.
I think the main thing is that you can over inflate or pop it if you are not paying attention. I even have plugs with a valve stem built into them.

J. Howard

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have one of these and I'm real happy with it. Especially if the tube that you're dealing with has a nice big opening, it works very quickly.

O'Brien 12-Volt Inflator

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

i use an electric one like above, but I also have a foot pump for the final pump. the bigger tubes need a little more air than my pump can manage. plus, the foot pumps are cheap, less than $20 and will pretty much always work. good to have on hand.

flywelder

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks all!
say about inflatables.... if your two person inflatable has two straps to which one can attache the tow rope, with one strap being sewed to the bottom and the other to the top of the inflatable....to which strap should I attache my tow rope??
Flywelder

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I use the bottom one as it tends to lift the front of the tube a bit helping on take off and slow down so it doesn't submarine so bad.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

A lot of 12 volt pumps will do the job. I always finish with a few pumps on the hand pump I carry.
I use bottom tow strap as well.

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have a Sea-doo branded pump just like the O'Brien one listed earlier. What I don't like about it is that the thing specifically doesn't work while plugged in. It is meant to be charged, and used without external power. Bit of a pain in my opinion, but good in a pinch (but in a pinch is the only time it's any good).

I like my 12V pump, never felt the need to use a foot pump, but I would think a foot pump would be good to have on a boat anyway, just in case.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

When my family tubed, I usually inflated it with my shop compressor. I would take a tire chuck and unscrew the end, essentially creating an open pipe.
It would fully inflate a 2 person tube in about 1 1/2 minutes.
As Thad said, you just gotta pay attention so it doesn't over-inflate.

CaptainKev

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have one like J.Howard. It works well. You can also use it to deflate the tube quickly by putting the adapter on the inlet side. I find that the noise is irritating, but it doesn't last long.
Kev.

Bifflefan

Commander

i use the compressor in the gargae and then tie her on the truck and go. never had any problems.
in fact it hangs from the celing ing the garage when im not using it, so it only gets deflated in the winter.

red frontier

Cadet

I like to use my smaller shop vac. I just reverse the hose to blow. Works great. Just need a big valve.

riverkeg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I too use my shop vac. Actually it's a craftsman with a detachable head to use as a leaf blower but it also came with some inflating adapters for this exact purpose. One of the adapters is made for a boston valve. Typically, air compressors are not used because inflating large objects tends to overheat them due to the volume of air needed. The idea is to have low pressure/high volume air flow for the large inflatables. Air compressors are high pressure/low volume.

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a small shop-vac called a "Stinger" that I use. It's about 14"x10"x12". Fills a 60" tube in about 30 seconds. Reverse the hose to suck every last molecule of air back out for compact storage.

Dave

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

I used to use an Ac Inverter and my shop vac and its really nice because you can actually suck the air out. I have switched to a basic Coleman 12v pump just to save space and less complicated(plug into cigarette plug).

truckermatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

i just got one of the little 12 pumps from sears and it works great,, 72" tube in about 3 minutes....