Besides boating, does anyone play golf?

dolluper

Captain
Re: Besides boating, does anyone play golf?

Golf great game chasing that little white ball around out in the fresh air .good exercise, out with the boy's having a few brews away from the nagging wives ,how can you think that isn't great can't imagine ; low 70's since high school and not a pro just lots of practice having fun.that's the key it's easy when your relaxed [away from the other half]not stressed like alot I see playing the game

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Have any of ya'll ever wonder how many dimples are there in a golf ball? :p

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

Originally posted by Elmer Fudge:<br /> Have any of ya'll ever wonder how many dimples are there in a golf ball? :p
336 (was really bored one day and colored them all in with a sharpie) :D :D :D

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by ButchA:<br /> Er, uh, okay... Tell me how you really feel, Nate! ;) :p <br /><br />Golf is not the "gay-est" sport - that would be men's high diving or swimming. Golf is a real challenge where 1/4" off the mark, and you slice it into the woods.<br /><br />Butch A.
I'd have to think Men's Figure Skating would rank in there somewhere, too.<br /><br />I must confess, I am a victim of the golf addiction. I'm no good at it, but I love to play.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I don't play, but I understand the addiction and have many friends that do. What I don't understand is watching golf on TV. It's more exciting watching grass grow or a boat trailer rust.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Nate, you space cadet, you have no idea. You ain't never shoveled stalls, you probly think boats are only for fishin, got to get you away from the television... :D

ob

Admiral

Originally posted by BoatBuoy:<br /> I don't play, but I understand the addiction and have many friends that do. What I don't understand is watching golf on TV. It's more exciting watching grass grow or a boat trailer rust.
I have to agree with that.While I enjoy the game of golf ,and don't have any real heros of the sport that I keep up with,I don't enjoy watching it on TV.<br /><br />Much.That is with the exception of the US Open,Ryders Cup,Masters,and an occasional skins game of course. :D

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I love The Masters. :) That is the only time I really watch golf on TV. One of these days, some day, some time, in my life, I will visit Augusta and play the course.<br /><br />The other time I've flipped on golf on TV is whenever one of those celebrity Pro-Am things is on. They're hilarous... Pro athletes who are at the peak of their chosen sport, trying to play golf - and the PGA pros blow them off the course! The only "celebrity" I have seen actually go toe-to-toe and almost beat the PGA pros is the country singer, Vince Gill. That guy can play!<br /><br />Butch A.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by BoatBuoy:<br /> I don't play, but I understand the addiction and have many friends that do. What I don't understand is watching golf on TV. It's more exciting watching grass grow or a boat trailer rust.
Hey BB, if you're wired and wanna sleep, turn on the golf game, that's what it's good for, well except for the US Open and the Masters. :D

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

How do you figure your handicap? I've just taken up the sport again since college (electives my senior year) and that was 13 years ago. My best score on a 18-hole par-4 average course is 107. I've only played 6 or 7 times in the last 13 years.<br /><br />Somebody said it, but it is those few great shots that keep me coming back.

Link

Rear Admiral

LOL I can relate. Used to feel the same way. Until 20 years ago a friend took me golfing...17 of the 18 holes were a real disaster. Hundreds of shots and countless balls lost.<br /><br />But I made that one perfect shot! The rest of the game just didn't matter anymore! :D <br /><br />Never played again but now that I know the skill needed to play I watch in amazement on tv and enjoy it very much.

ob

Admiral

Originally posted by JamesCoste:<br /> How do you figure your handicap?
It is esablished from a givin number of rounds of golf and then calculating your avreage score.That scores number minus the course par is your handicap.Example:If your round series average is 100 and the course par is 72,you have a 28 stroke handicap.<br /><br />This is providing you are playing from the pro tees,and don't improve your lie when your not suppose to, if you want to compare your skill level with the big boys of golf. ;) <br /><br />However ,if you are playing local golf association matches it gives you a more equal edge at competing with a better golfer with a lower handicap.Anytime you shoot over your established handicap,let's just say you didin't have a good day at the course.However,if your handicap is 28 and you shoot a 95 ,you win over a guy with a 7 handicap that shot an 85.Hope that makes some sense.

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks OB, that makes sense. I have a pretty high handicap. My average over the past 3 rounds is about 110. That makes my handicap a 38. Oh well, maybe I'll improve now that I have my own clubs and am practicing my short game a couple times per week.<br /><br />My goal is to break 100 once this year. I play from the white tees. No comment on whether I sometimes accidentally move my ball as I am moving a leaf or something from behind the ball. ;) I know, if I cheat, I'm only cheating myself.<br /><br />The handicap does make playing a player of different skill levels more fun. I never really understood how that worked.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

No way Nate.. Golf is nowhere near the gay-est sport...<br /><br />SOCCER... Now thats GAY!!<br /><br />Think ol' Nate needs a trip to the driving range.. Or maybe a 7 iron over the head... :p <br /><br />I think CaddyShack ruined me.. I can't play the game with a straight face.. :D Usually end up like SS Mayfloats game... :D <br /><br />FORE!!!

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Snapper says:<br /><br />
Golf is nowhere near the gay-est sport...<br /><br />SOCCER... Now thats GAY!!<br />
Don't go there Snapper .. might have to slide tackle you a bit high infront of everyone..<br /><br />remember...<br /><br />MEN play Football..REAL MEN play Soccer! :cool: <br /><br /><br />as for golf ... I gave it up for lent .. :D

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

JamesCoste and OB,<br /><br />Check out this link for Golf Digest where they have an online golf game tracker and handicap generator (you have to sign up on it). I just entered my last two rounds of golf and it showed me having an 11 handicap. :D <br /><br /> http://www.golfdigest.com <br /><br />On the left side click under "GD Handicap - get yours today!".<br /><br />Butch A.

tfjrc2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Had the addiction bad a number of years ago. Now it is sort of selfish to work all week then hit the course for 6 or so hours on a Saturday.<br />I did get into the high 70's low 80's pretty regular there for awhile.<br />Boating seemed more family oriented, but still get out on business 4-5 times per year.<br />Can still break 90 though!

LubeDude

Admiral

My son (Hes 25), gave me a playstation 2 for Christmas along with a few games. (Like when am I going to get time to play)? He did it because he knows I like Grand Torismo 3 but he threw in a Tiger Woods Golf game also. Does that count??? Thats the closest you will see me to a golf corse!<br /><br />I have made it through the beginners part of GT3 though in some spare time. Ive aced 1 & 2. Man those 200 mile races can get tiresome.<br /><br />I sure wish fishin would get here.

tylerin

Commander

I'm a 3 handicap at this point. Bounce around from 2 to 6. Handicap is also based on the slope rating of a golf corse not just par. Some courses w/ a 72 par are more difficult then other 72's so they have established what is called a slope rating. Shots over par and slope rating is calculated to come up with a more accurate handicap.