Bayliner Capri bowrider interior restoration and reupholstery

dovydaz

Seaman
Re: Bayliner Capri bowrider interior restoration and reupholstery

Managed to run out of vinyl when I literally had last few pieces to finish.. Ordered some more so should arrive within next few days! So far I have used up 20 metres of piping (this stuff just runs out before you even notice.. just ordered 4m more), 2m x 140cm of blue vinyl (ordered another metre), 2m x 140cm of grey vinyl, 10m x 140cm creme vinyl (ordered another 2m), onto my 2nd spool of marine thread (260m each).. Just so some of you who are planning on reupholstering a boat of similar size can have an idea of how much you will need :)

dovydaz

Seaman

whilst the leather arrives I might try to get rid of the painted on name and possibly repaint the leg as some of the paint has started peeling off..

GB333

Seaman Apprentice

Hi dovydaz! You are doing an amazing job with your Bayliner!! I am also redoing the upholstery on a Bayliner Capri (1990) and I was wondering how difficult you found it to get these pieces off (see photo below). My husband thinks there is a lot of glue involved, but I don't see it. Seems like I just need to remove the screws in the backs of them. Any advice?

boat side pieces removal arrows.jpg

Here is the thread I started awhile ago - I finished all of the seat covers, but still need to do something with the side pieces. Thanks so much for your advice!!!

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...yliner-capri-some-photos-question-612278.html

dovydaz

Seaman

Hi dovydaz! You are doing an amazing job with your Bayliner!! I am also redoing the upholstery on a Bayliner Capri (1990) and I was wondering how difficult you found it to get these pieces off (see photo below). My husband thinks there is a lot of glue involved, but I don't see it. Seems like I just need to remove the screws in the backs of them. Any advice?

View attachment 227100

Here is the thread I started awhile ago - I finished all of the seat covers, but still need to do something with the side pieces. Thanks so much for your advice!!!

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...yliner-capri-some-photos-question-612278.html

Thank you :)
Those side pieces if i remember correctly had bolts built into them so all you have to do is undo the nuts from the other side (underneath glovebox and steering wheel. There was also a screw if i remember correctly sewn in straight through the leather right on the edge (by your cupholder, if you inspect carefully you will most likely find a hole in your vinyl for the screw). For me the wood was rotten so I couldn't undo some of the bolts so I ended up cutting them off. Good luck with your project (by the way great thread! wish I saw it before I started mine!)

GB333

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you :)
Those side pieces if i remember correctly had bolts built into them so all you have to do is undo the nuts from the other side (underneath glovebox and steering wheel. There was also a screw if i remember correctly sewn in straight through the leather right on the edge (by your cupholder, if you inspect carefully you will most likely find a hole in your vinyl for the screw). For me the wood was rotten so I couldn't undo some of the bolts so I ended up cutting them off. Good luck with your project (by the way great thread! wish I saw it before I started mine!)

That sounds easy enough! My husband is afraid there is a large amount of glue in there holding things together, but I don't think there is - and it sounds like from your experience there wasn't. I'm going to take those bolts out and see what happens. I desperately need to recover these pieces, so we've got to get them off somehow! Thanks so much!

dovydaz

Seaman

That sounds easy enough! My husband is afraid there is a large amount of glue in there holding things together, but I don't think there is - and it sounds like from your experience there wasn't. I'm going to take those bolts out and see what happens. I desperately need to recover these pieces, so we've got to get them off somehow! Thanks so much!

I dont recall there being any glue, good luck with it!

dovydaz

Seaman

So finally my ordered leather has arrived but still awaiting my stainless steel staples... So I ended up going to get some waterproof wood and coated it a few times with outdoor paint just to give it a little more water resistance
IMG_6956.jpg

IMG_6959.jpg

Tomorrow Ill start cutting out new pieces for the seats and hopefully finish off reupholstering the last part and maybe start stapling down some seats!

dovydaz

Seaman

Sorry I haven't posted in a while but had been pretty busy. Recently I had the time to finally cut out all of the wooden pieces for the seats.
If any one has any particular questions feel free to ask as I won't annotate all of the images below.
All of the edges I rounded off using a router

IMG_7003.jpg

Having disassembled the back to back seats I started to cut out all of the new pieces (if you are planing to redo the back to back seats do them one at a time so you if you do get stuck on the way you can look at the other one for guidance):

IMG_7004.jpg

This is the back sun pad area cut out:

IMG_6994.jpg

Seat/backrest bottoms

IMG_6993.jpg

Starting to put back together the fold out seats:

IMG_7006.jpg

IMG_7008.jpg

Last edited:

dovydaz

Seaman

Heres all the backrests complete:

IMG_7010.jpg

Back sun pad area assembled (this took about 3 times to get it right as the bottom seat backrest part is mounted on at a slight angle)

IMG_7017.jpg

IMG_7018.jpg

found out that a jet ski also served very well holding the wood in place whilst it was being painted :D

IMG_7071.jpg

Ended up making a little bit of a mess in the garden (very distorted iPhone "panorama" attempt)

IMG_7014.jpg

Last edited:

dovydaz

Seaman

Also made holes in the seats so the air from the cushions once applied pressure could escape (drilled them out in the original places just like on the old wood)

IMG_7021.jpg

Today I have finished coating all of the wood so hopefully if I get some time I will start to put on the new vinyl and start stapling it all back together :)

Last edited:

dovydaz

Seaman

Could you provide pics of how the rear seats are mounted an of the seat. I like how it can change from a seat to a sun tanning bed area. Am planning on doing something similar to mine.

Tagging along

Didn't understand what you mean previously but I have finally realised my self now as I personally didnt even know that the rear seats can make a sun pad :D
the bottom seats turn sideways one end inserts into a hole on the side and the other side rests on the engine bay cover
(this isn't my photo but I found it somewhere on the internet)
View attachment 227924

Axkiker

Petty Officer 1st Class

That sewing is impressive. Are you a seamstress or someone who sews on a regular basis. Im looking at trying a few pieces of interior but didnt know if I could pull it off or not. You are making it look easy!!!

dovydaz

Seaman

That sewing is impressive. Are you a seamstress or someone who sews on a regular basis. Im looking at trying a few pieces of interior but didnt know if I could pull it off or not. You are making it look easy!!!
No Im definitely not :) Just try it and I'm sure u will catch on to it pretty quickly! It really is pretty simple :)

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

looking good

GB333

Seaman Apprentice

Looking GREAT!!!! I got those front trim pieces off that I asked you about previously,but haven't started to recover them yet. That's all I have left to do on ours and then we put it up for sale! =)

dovydaz

Seaman

Looking GREAT!!!! I got those front trim pieces off that I asked you about previously,but haven't started to recover them yet. That's all I have left to do on ours and then we put it up for sale! =)
Great to hear, post some photos! :)

dovydaz

Seaman

Here we go! Managed to staple on some of the seats and finish off a few.
If you want any specific info just ask :)
Put on some Polyester wadding just to protect the vinyl from rubbing on the edge of the wood.

IMG_7099.jpg

IMG_7104.jpg

IMG_7101.jpg

Then simply put on the vinyl and started to staple it down, set it all out so it fits well and started off by putting one or two staples in the top, and then once everything aligned started stapling all of the edges making sure the vinyl isn't loose at any sections.

IMG_7105.jpg

IMG_7106.jpg

dovydaz

Seaman

Did the same thing with the other two bow seats

IMG_7109.jpg

IMG_7108.jpg

The vinyl has some bends/folds as you can see so it looks as if its a little loose but thats just from when it was folded up whilst stored so it will stretch and even out. Over all I am pretty happy how these turned out, will put them in the boat just to see how they look and fit maybe tomorrow and will post some photos.

dovydaz

Seaman

Having finished the bow i moved onto the driver and passenger seats.

IMG_7110.jpg

IMG_7114.jpg

IMG_7111.jpg

IMG_7112.jpg

IMG_7113.jpg