Bayliner Capri bowrider interior restoration and reupholstery

dovydaz

Seaman
Re: Bayliner Capri bowrider interior restoration and reupholstery

Ok so as few of you suggested to check the floor, I decided to check it and lifted up all the carpets, It wasn't in a very bad condition from what i saw there was an area which had been replaced already and by the ski compartments the edges where a little soggy. I don't have enough time to replace all the stringers and the floor it self so I got some wood hardener and cleaned off the wood, covered the whole of the floor with it and let it set for 24 hours. It is much more solid and the wood itself where it was soft has solidified completely. Hopefully today or tomorrow depending on the weather I will re-fibreglass the floor, I will put on a few layers of fibreglass just to make sure it will be much more solid.

IMG_7641.jpg

IMG_7642.jpg

Scrapped off all of the old fibreglass and wet wood

IMG_7645.jpg

IMG_7649.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

Repairing this as you have, IMO, is short term false security. What's the British equivalent of the US Coast Guard?

Might swing by and drop off some cookies. You'll want to be on good terms w/ them.

Wear your PFD's....

Boat & boat resto safely

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Uhmmm, have you done any investigation, core sampling of the engine mounts, stingers, and or transom to determine if they are sound? Have you stood on and bounced on the outdrive to see if the transom flexes. You've done an excellent job of making her LOOK pretty, but...If she's NOT seaworthy, as JBC infers, you don't want to put you or other in jeopardy out on the water:eek: Soft spots in the deck is a very good indication of serious problems below. Boats rot from the bottom up. There are HUNDREDS of examples of that here on the forum!!;)

Last edited:

dovydaz

Seaman

Uhmmm, have you done any investigation, core sampling of the engine mounts, stingers, and or transom to determine if they are sound? Have you stood on and bounced on the outdrive to see if the transom flexes. You've done an excellent job of making her LOOK pretty, but...If she's NOT seaworthy, as JBC infers, you don't want to put you or other in jeopardy out on the water:eek: Soft spots in the deck is a very good indication of serious problems below. Boats rot from the bottom up. There are HUNDREDS of examples of that here on the forum!!;)

I have looked at the engine mounts and all the areas around, they are fairly solid, They defiantly aren't in the most perfect shape but they will deff will be fine, even the floor it self wasn't bad. All of the wood exposed by the engine bay and etc I will coat with wood hardener and then Fiberglass it and then apply Fiberglass top coat on it just to make sure it is solid. Thank you for all the info woodonglass and jbcurt :)

dovydaz

Seaman

I have looked at the engine mounts and all the areas around, they are fairly solid, They defiantly aren't in the most perfect shape but they deff will be fine, even the floor it self wasn't bad. All of the wood exposed by the engine bay and etc I will coat with wood hardener and then Fiberglass it and then apply Fiberglass top coat on it just to make sure it is solid. Thank you for all the info woodonglass and jbcurt :)

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

solid underfoot doesn't neccessarily me structurally sound. Unless you do core samples to KNOW that the underlying core is sound you can't know for sure that your boat is seaworthy. There are hundreds of examples here on the forum where unsuspecting boaters Thought their boats looked ok only to discover that they were not. We are all about safety here on iBoats and we are only wanting to do everything we can to ensure that you are aware of the safety facts. It's then up to you to do with them as you see fit. You are now aware of the facts and we have now done our job.;)

dovydaz

Seaman

So managed to fiberglass the floor today, after just 2-3h of sitting its already very very solid, I could easily jump around anywhere and there was no flex at all. Tomorrow I will even it all out and apply the top coat which will make it even more solid.
IMG_7707.jpg

dovydaz

Seaman

Applied the top coat:

IMG_7741.jpg

dovydaz

Seaman

Finally I can pretty much say its finished! (Well still need to fit a stereo, clean the carpets and put on the hood leather cushion) :D

Once the top coat dried up I installed the carpets back using carpet adhesive and then fitted the back to back seats.

IMG_7748.jpg

IMG_7749.jpg

IMG_7750.jpg

IMG_7751.jpg

IMG_7752.jpg

Zanderman

Cadet
I am beginning my upholstery project on my Capri soon, and it is great to have someone doing a similar boat for a preview of what I'm in for.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
hey dovydaz i would find some aluminum channel to cover the exposed edges of the center walk thru window.