Batteries and trim tabs - Questions on proper use

catalanc

Seaman Apprentice
I recently sold a bayliner 185 and purchased a trophy 2052. I am still new to boating and two issues have come up in the trophy.

First, there are two batteries rather than one. The manual says NEVER turn off the battery switch when the engine is running. SO - say i start the engine with battery 1 but then want to charge both while running. Can I quickly move the switch to "both" while the engine is running or do i need to kill the engine and re-start theengine with both selected (stupid question, i am sure!).

Next, the trim tabs. On my bayliner I learned how to trim the boat using the trim on the outdrive (i had a I/O). I have the same setup on the trophy - but now i have trim tabs as well. SO - what is the proper way to use the trim tabs vs. outdrive trim? (again, probably a stupid question).

Anyway, if any of you experienced folks out there can guide a newcomer, it would be most welcome.

carlos

rat65tol

Cadet
Re: Batteries and trim tabs - Questions on proper use

carlos. I have the dual battery setup on my 1902 wa trophy. I use the nbr 1 battery for starting and the nbr 2 battery for running electronics. You can switch back and forth between one and two while engine is running , just dont run through the off position while running. I have been told it will damage the alternator. As far as the trim tabs I am not sure. Have been trying to get input on them with no help so far.

good luck and enjoy your trophy I love mine
Ron

2007 1902wa Trophy
115 mercury 4 stroke
"Killer Nuts"

catalanc

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the input, ron. hopefully i won't blow anything up! looking forward to nicer weather ...
carlos

throphy07

Cadet

Use trimtabs to level the boat if the boat is leaning towards starboard or port side on plane.
If boat is heavily loaded, adjust trimplan fully down in order to get on plane more quickly. Then release trimplan (Fully up)
Else, use outdrive trim and keep trimtabs fully up.

Trophy 2052, 1.7l CMD diesel, Norway

Byter

Cadet

Yes, it's ok to switch between 1, 2, both. I know a lot of people use one battery for starting and one for electronics when the motor is turned off. I typically leave it on "both" because you definitely want it on "both" when running so the alternator will charge both. If I'm working on the boat at the dock, I will only use one battery.

I use the trim tabs individually to adjust roll, that is, if you are running forward and the boat is leaning to the starboard, you will put the port tab down to "pull" the port side down and even the boat out. By being trimmed evenly, you will cut the water better, thus better speed and mileage. You put both tabs down together to bring the bow down at slower speeds.

I typically trim the outdrive to get the most efficient use of the prop angle in the water at the speed I am going. Let's say I'm moving at 3400 RPM. I will trim the drive up until it begins to cavitate, then I will put it down a little, this typically gives me the most speed and efficiency.

Believe me you will be using those trim tabs constantly. People move from side to side in the boat, or if fishing, your cooler may weigh down one side of the boat, and always, wind and current can effect the running trim. Any of these things will cause you to adjust the trim with the trim tabs. You will wonder how you ever lived without them. Have fun!

catalanc

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks to everyone for their input. Can't wait to get out on the water and try it all out!
carlos

joker650

Cadet

Yes thanks.
Thats verry good info.
I also am new to this BIG BOAT thing. Just got a 2352 in December......not in the water yet.