Awfull time launch & retrieve roller trailer

airshot

Rear Admiral
Gee the black rubber rollers on my trailer are original, from 1989. They roll just fine.
Wow, better luck than anyone I know ever had. When I go thru the trailer storage lot at our marina, I don't think I have saw one that wasn't cracked or flattened. What ever your doing, keep it up...

flashback

Captain
Look at most winter storage at marinas with large boats...three point support, two aft and one in the front....must be a bunch of bad hulls out there after that type of storage. My 1983 Islander sat on a roller trailer since new in '83.....not a single dent to date....after 41 years there would be some damage if it was a problem...
Maybe I should have said bouncing down a pot hole filled road after sitting all winter. I think they are crap.

a70eliminator

Captain
So....last night I got my oil can out and squirted some 90w gear lube on each roller axle before heading to the lake..
Why did nobody mention this...my boat roled off that trailer & almost got away from me jeeez! Dont need need new rollers now!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
It was mentioned to check if your rollers are free-wheeling. When I check mine they spin a few extra turns after I let go. That's "free". If I rotated them and they turned but were not free, then lube would have been the answer.

Glad you figured it out.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Why did nobody mention this...my boat roled off that trailer & almost got away from me jeeez! Dont need need new rollers now!
Because its a temporary fix that needless to say is environmentally unfriendly. Same as putting air in your tire each morning instead of fixing the leak.

a70eliminator

Captain
Well heck yes they were all free spinning theres so much slop they wobble..but the oil made all the difference once the weight of the boat was on them I guess.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Because its a temporary fix that needless to say is environmentally unfriendly. Same as putting air in your tire each morning instead of fixing the leak.
Well, yes and no. You pump up your trailer wheel bearings periodically. Inevitably, some of the petroleum leaks out into the water (yeah, yeah, only a few molecules each time).

Remember the old Engineer's Proclamation:

* If its supposed to turn, lubricate it.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I’m greasing them 1x per year. I have replaced all the rear seats ones but still have some of the originals on the front.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Well, yes and no. You pump up your trailer wheel bearings periodically. Inevitably, some of the petroleum leaks out into the water (yeah, yeah, only a few molecules each time).

Remember the old Engineer's Proclamation:

* If its supposed to turn, lubricate it.
As an old Engineer who likes to keeps up with the times, you replace the antiquated, inferior black rubber rollers with “plastic” (delrin) self lubricating rollers and both problems go away. ;)

Fwiw: New trailer has Vault hubs. Supposedly no maintenance (no grease pumping) for 5 years.

We will see…

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I’m greasing them 1x per year. I have replaced all the rear seats ones but still have some of the originals on the front.
If I remember correctly, your boat is moored and your trailer doesn't move more than a block twice a year.

Imagine the maintenance for 60 trips, 10,000 miles per year

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
That’s true it would be cheaper to have a bunk over time because even if the bunks rotted and the carpet wore out it’s a lot cheaper to replace those than rollers. However a bunk trailer just would not work at our local ramp except around high tide; too shallow. The majority of trailers here are rollers. If I had a steep ramp the bunk would be fine. I’ve had the same trailer for 20 years and I have replaced just about everything but the frame rails, crossmembers and winch post ! Even put a longer tongue on it to make launching easier & keep the Jeep tires out of salt water. If I had to trailer a boat every time I used it here, with the way the roads are and the traffic I’d sell it & buy a hot rod or classic car, not worth the frustration…

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
That’s true it would be cheaper to have a bunk over time because even if the bunks rotted and the carpet wore out it’s a lot cheaper to replace those than rollers.
Maybe, maybe not.
I replaced the OEM (Loadrite) rubber rollers in year 3 of ownership. Got a deal. Bought 36, lightly used TPR rollers for $75 from a friend who had upgraded to Stolz rollers for one reason or another

Would have 3 times that in labor alone if I had to replace or recarpet the primary bunks on my new trailer. What does a 4" x 6" x 8' treated post with a 7 degree mitre the entire length cost these days?
With the beating they take, can't see the target bunks lasting more than a couple of years before needing replaced.
However a bunk trailer just would not work at our local ramp except around high tide; too shallow. The majority of trailers here are rollers. If I had a steep ramp the bunk would be fine.
Probably 50/50 here.
Don't see much of a tide swing (1-1.5 ft.) unless there is a blow out.
I’ve had the same trailer for 20 years and I have replaced just about everything but the frame rails, crossmembers and winch post !
Same here until a frame rail rusted through last Spring. Perfect excuse to get mama to agree to a new trailer
Even put a longer tongue on it to make launching easier & keep the Jeep tires out of salt water.
Not really an option when my combo is just shy of 50 ft. now
If I had to trailer a boat every time I used it here, with the way the roads are and the traffic I’d sell it & buy a hot rod or classic car, not worth the frustration…
Early bird catches the worm........
Lines is the water before sunrise has me leaving the house NLT 4 am. Gets me off the Captiol Beltway (DC) by 4:45 or so.
A lot more traffic than there was 10-15 years ago, but still not too bad at that time in the morning.
Now, all bets are off if we're not on the way home by 1:30 pm. Might as well pull up a stool up at the local watering or...... dig a cold one out of the ice chest and find a seat (tail gate) with a view of the slide at the water park adjacent to the ramp....;)

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Didn’t realize that bunks cost that much. We have a 6-7 foot tidal swing. All the water piles up in Long Island Sound when the tides rush in. On the South Shore of LI the tide swings are less. So you do see more bunk trailers there. I got a deal on those rear rollers; a guy ordered them & never picked them up. I saw them sitting in a sporting goods store that also sells trailer parts. To buy them now, is pretty expensive. I’ve redone this trailer a few times & it’s finally the way I wanted it to be. Our lousy local ramp (I live in a private beach assn so this took years to happen) is finally getting redone, it’s definitely steeper and all nice concrete slabs. The old one was so bad I kept using bias ply tires because they seemed to take a beating better than radials.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Didn’t realize that bunks cost that much.
$215 each for the main bunks. $90 each for the target bunks + hardware.

20+ years on a galv roller trailer. We will see how well an aluminum bunk trailer holds up

We have a 6-7 foot tidal swing. All the water piles up in Long Island Sound when the tides rush in. On the South Shore of LI the tide swings are less. So you do see more bunk trailers there.

The Bay runs North and South with opening on both ends. The prevailing S-SW winds with a 200 mile long fetch makes for a bumpy ride (wind against tide) but not much change in water levels. Takes a good 2-3 days NE or NW blow to cause problems.

Who’s going out in a 2-3 day blow anyhow….lol

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Vewwy Intererwesting....

As I previously stated, the black keel rollers on my trailer were replaced after about 20 years. I replaced them with poly self-centering rollers. Good choice.

No kidding, in this day and age poly is the ONLY way to go.

Many have commented about the crappy black rollers. When I replaced the keel rollers the black wobble rollers on the swinging bunks still looked OK. And of course, they worked fine. When I sold that boat the blackies were 35 years old. No need to replace.

YMMV