Awfull time launch & retrieve roller trailer

a70eliminator

Captain
I try backing in shallow & the engine in reverse just cant pull it off & if back in farther till she floats the bow eye catches on the rubber. Loading is an awfull chore i dont know what Im doing wrong? And hype about boats falling off roller trailers half way down the ramp....aint happening with this boat the ramps I use are not very steep I couldnt push it off if I tried.
I dread the boat ramps with this boat.
Once had a 21' chaparral bow rider with bunk trailer and was simple, enjoyed launch & retrieve.

Attachments

• 20240517_120702.jpg
    20240517_120702.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 50
  • 20240517_120724.jpg
    20240517_120724.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 51
  • 20240517_120835.jpg
    20240517_120835.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 46
  • 20240517_120903.jpg
    20240517_120903.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 52

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I had a double bow stop on a trailer, and had the same issue. You can swap out the double bow stop for a single one. You can also adjust the winch stand forward/backward. Hopefully those adjustments will fix your issue.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
And hype about boats falling off roller trailers half way down the ramp....aint happening with this boat the ramps I use are not very steep I couldnt push it off if I tried.
Then you need to replace/ fix the roller bunks.

my #5,200 boat would roll off the trailer just looking at it the wrong way

cyclops222

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Your few rollers are all corroded and stuck. Need to be replaced. Those side bunk boards could be too tight to the hull.
Your trailer is rusted inside and outdside the main frame.
Take boat and trailer to a marina that does....EXCELLENT ... trailer adjustments. Work is way beyond your doing it SAFELY for boat and you.
DO NOT work on that worn out trailer. Boat could easily shift position and prevent you from pulling free.

a70eliminator

Captain
Inspected the trailer last night with the boat in the lake & all the rollers spin free and clear, they all seem equally loaded to the hull and yes we have some rust which I will be addressing (winter project) Ive only launched 2 times just got the boat, I'll figure it out.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Your bow stop is too low & you bow hook is probably catching on it. The bow stop should be centered over the bow hook and your strap should be parallel to the ground. I had a similar problem solved easily

a70eliminator

Captain
Those old rubber rollers are shot. They’ve gone soft and the tops flatten out with load.

Replace with the updated, polyurethane rollers and your good to go
Yea...well that all depends on the depth of that rust issue, for now it is what it is.

a70eliminator

Captain
Your bow stop is too low & you bow hook is probably catching on it. The bow stop should be centered over the bow hook and your strap should be parallel to the ground. I had a similar problem solved easily
Ill defintely raise it a bit thanks for the input Lou

airshot

Rear Admiral
Those old rubber rollers are shot. They’ve gone soft and the tops flatten out with load.

Replace with the updated, polyurethane rollers and your good to go
Been there before, big difference between old rubber rollers and the newer poly rollers. In my opinion, you could use more rollers, I always used extra rollers when possible. Do you back in far enough to float the rear of the boat ??

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Your bow stop has a hole higher up; try using that one…

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
If the bow stop is hitting the bow eye, that should be an easy fix. Regardless, it wouldn't take much oomph to push the boat back an inch.

Look at the roller bunk arms and the side bunks. Is ANY part touching the hull.

Look at EVERY roller. Flat spots? Is EVERY roller free wheeling with no glitches?

Bring the boat up on the trailer half way, then release it. Does the boat now slide off easy at this position? If not the rollers are simply shot.

airshot

Rear Admiral
If the bow stop is hitting the bow eye, that should be an easy fix. Regardless, it wouldn't take much oomph to push the boat back an inch.

Look at the roller bunk arms and the side bunks. Is ANY part touching the hull.

Look at EVERY roller. Flat spots? Is EVERY roller free wheeling with no glitches?

Bring the boat up on the trailer half way, then release it. Does the boat now slide off easy at this position? If not the rollers are simply shot.
Those black rubber dollars do not last. After two years max they need replaced ! Spend the money on good poly ( yellow ones) rollers and they last for many years. As mentioned before the black rollers crack and get flat spots you might not see, if they can't roll, your boat ain't moving !! One thing I have noticed after 60 years of boating is when the roller starts sticking the shaft often becomes bent which makes it even more difficult for the roller to turn. I have found a product call "Dow111"... it is a heavy silicone based grease designed for high pressure valves for water. Go thru your rollers and goop up the inside with the Dow grease. It is good for the roller material and doesn't wash off very well and EPA friendly. I do mine every 2-3 years and it keeps the rollers running smooth. Wobble rollers just need a cleaning.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
back in until the tops of the forward fenders are about 1.5" above the water.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Those black rubber dollars do not last. After two years max they need replaced ! Spend the money on good poly ( yellow ones) rollers and they last for many years. As mentioned before the black rollers crack and get flat spots you might not see, if they can't roll, your boat ain't moving !! One thing I have noticed after 60 years of boating is when the roller starts sticking the shaft often becomes bent which makes it even more difficult for the roller to turn. I have found a product call "Dow111"... it is a heavy silicone based grease designed for high pressure valves for water. Go thru your rollers and goop up the inside with the Dow grease. It is good for the roller material and doesn't wash off very well and EPA friendly. I do mine every 2-3 years and it keeps the rollers running smooth. Wobble rollers just need a cleaning.
Fresh water and garage kept and my black rollers didn't need to be replaced for 20+ years.

I agree the poly rollers last a lot longer. But if kept in the elements I personally don't know how much longer.

Boat dealers are out to make money, and thus will sell you cheapie junk to make the sale before the other guy. There are good roller trailers, bad ones and excellent ones. If a roller shaft bends, it was not set up correctly, or more likely a cheapie trailer with an insufficient number of rollers (i.e.' too much weight on each roller.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Yep the rollers point load the hull, especially sitting all winter.
Look at most winter storage at marinas with large boats...three point support, two aft and one in the front....must be a bunch of bad hulls out there after that type of storage. My 1983 Islander sat on a roller trailer since new in '83.....not a single dent to date....after 41 years there would be some damage if it was a problem...

airshot

Rear Admiral
Fresh water and garage kept and my black rollers didn't need to be replaced for 20+ years.

I agree the poly rollers last a lot longer. But if kept in the elements I personally don't know how much longer.

Boat dealers are out to make money, and thus will sell you cheapie junk to make the sale before the other guy. There are good roller trailers, bad ones and excellent ones. If a roller shaft bends, it was not set up correctly, or more likely a cheapie trailer with an insufficient number of rollers (i.e.' too much weight on each roller.
You have had better luck with rubber rollers than I have, never got more than a few years from them even stored inside. The last one I bought lasted two years and cracked, wouldn't roll and ended up bending the shaft. The poly rollers are about 12 yrs old and still look and roll like new