auto pilot

pjumper

Cadet
I do a lot of trolling, and would really be nice to leave the helm once in a while. Im looking at Raymarines Ev200 sport pilot. this unit attaches directly to the steering wheel. This is a new product, so im having a hard time getting any reviews. does anyone have any experience with this unit. Boat is 2000, Trophy 2359 hardtop, 5.7 Merc. Alpha 1 Gen 2 outdrive. Power assisted teleflex steering. All feedback appreciated.

slowolf

Cadet
Re: auto pilot

Are you trolling in open waters or on close-in bays and tributaries? If open waters, can you just use the steering wheel lock pin to lock the steering and keep it on a general course?

pjumper

Cadet
Re: auto pilot

No. My hardtop is like a sail. I am constantly correcting heading. I do set up with the boat moving with the current, then point to the direction I want.

marmac

Cadet
I know this is an older post but I just found the site, what did you end up with for auto pilot?

beshunsky1

Recruit
I have the raymarine sport pilot which also has the wheel drive. I love it. It makes the long runs to the tuna grounds much easier. I also troll for salmon and withou Auto I could not fish alone if it was nasty, now I just leave it in gear and the boat goes straight while fighting the fish. I have a different model on my Charter Boat in Idaho. It is a tool I will not do without again. My raymarine has been problem free for two years now.