Astroglass 1989 full rebuild

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
So this you might find interesting, I shot some of the waxed gelcoat yesterday but it kept going off in gun , so I stopped this morning I touched the boat the resin is sticky like non waxed then I thought dam resin went off so fast that the wax never had a chance to migrate to surface... Interesting

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Well I'm sure that is probably taken into account I mean they wouldn't mix it in there if it could compromise it since they have no way of knowing if all of it migrates, guess that's why it bound to the styrene ?

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Although it could be sticky because of wax itself since so hot, I'll do water test if it clouds it's wax

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
The saga continues I tried strait ammonia , tsp neither worked , this some world class wax!

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Got a winner!! After wetting so I could see wax sprayed with this and damn near dissolved without having to touch it , lite wipe and rest was gone :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230722_114915_Home Depot.jpg
    Screenshot_20230722_114915_Home Depot.jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 0

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Gonna spend day scrubbing so I can do another coat but I feel confident now I can easily remove wax :)

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Read.a interesting artical about this wax evidently when military use to use it they did study's about the wax propagating through consecutive layers and it would,they would slap coat after coat on top of each other within a certain window of time and see, not sure how they would see unless maybe they colored it somehow

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Got out here at 4 am since weather has been crap, got the wax remover on and stripping away, what a task this been lol, a wipe down with acetone would never pull all this wax off. I'm doing wax removal to be able to sand cause this stuff woulda gummed up the sandpaper pretty fast!

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
First and last regel coat I'll ever do I shoulda just done paint with clear but I see clear pealing all the time so thought I'd go this route lol actually it's the wax that bothered me mostly
Into sanding,hope I don't burn through anywhere not sure how I'd fix flake lol

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Well got a couple issues so far adhesion in the inside of bow area ,easily fixed but not sure why , my guess is it was too hot when I did that side, got to post when a mess up happens as much as when things are good :) I'll get it sorted . Just sucks materials ain't cheap!

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
I'm gonna attempt to fix till I run out of materials thenalena decision if I was able to fix to my satisfaction