Arthritis Remedies

brother chris

Commander
Re: Arthritis Remedies

Diclofenac is what I use and it works most of the time. I also take Emtec(that is Tylenol #3 without the caffiene) on a daily basis(and they still work pretty good. <br />Other than that, a couple shots of rum works as well. <br />I'm still searching for the right meds to work properly.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by One More Cast:<br /> I quit taking naproxin once....a week later I couldn't walk. I know its bad but If I don't take these drugs I can't do anything and the pain leads to fatigue and I just wish I were dead anyway. I don't want anyone feeling sorry for me. There are a whole lot of people that have it a lot worse. I can still do a bunch of stuff and enjoy life like I never have before. Its the little things that are truly important. The stuff most people don't even notice.
No, but I can sure relate, OMC. I found myself online, looking for an electric-starter for my little 7.5HP Merc, due to the pain in my fingers from pulling that cord! :( <br />As for the meds, I have placed personal limits on how many scrip meds I take, so I won't take them.I saw my mom go thru hell because of drug interactions and side effects. Now that the FDA is investigating Naproxin, I'm even more concerned.<br />I did fill the naproxin scrip, under the 'guise of "trying them". I just may some day. But for now, I just grit my teeth and pull the cord. :rolleyes:

oddjob

Commander

Exercise helps. Try Shark Cartilidge. Another new one I heard about is mega doses of Cayenne pepper loaded into A gell tablet. Dont know about that but its worth a look. If you cant get off of the heavy pain killers at least try to give your liver extra care.

one more cast

Captain

Yesterday afternoon after reading these posts I decided to skip my naproxen. This morning my right hand is all swelled up and every joint in my body is hurting. I stopped my Humiera (sp) shots about 6 weeks ago because of side effects. But every day for the last week or so has been worse then the last. If I don't start my meds back up I know what will happen. I have tried it many times before. I will go into a major flare up and won't be able to even dress myself. Nothing will come out of the toothpaste tube when I squeeze it as hard as I can and I will care about absolutely nothing. This does not just effect my joints but rather my whole body.If you have ever been in a car crash and ached all over the next day. That is how I feel only worse. Once this happens it takes months to get back to where I can start enjoying life again. Some of you might remember the photo of me almost naked in the snow. The reason I did that was not to be funny it was because the only thing that would stop the pain was ice. I have tried almost everything I could afford including shark cartilage and now I will try woodlock. Sorry about this post but I know the dangers of the drugs I take and my decision is based on the lesser of two evils. With the drugs I can lead a somewhat normal life and without them it is a living hell and no fishing.OK thats all I'm saying about this subject and now I am going to go try an help my wife paint the bathroom. EDIT A FEW MINUTES LATER... My wife told me to go back and play on the puter...see this RA ain't all bad. :D

dolluper

Captain

Any Chinese shops around know about WOODLOCK they probably have other secrets TOO!!!keep on truckin buddy

brother chris

Commander

Originally posted by 12Footer:<br />
Originally posted by One More Cast:<br /> I quit taking naproxin once....a week later I couldn't walk. I know its bad but If I don't take these drugs I can't do anything and the pain leads to fatigue and I just wish I were dead anyway. I don't want anyone feeling sorry for me. There are a whole lot of people that have it a lot worse. I can still do a bunch of stuff and enjoy life like I never have before. Its the little things that are truly important. The stuff most people don't even notice.
No, but I can sure relate, OMC. I found myself online, looking for an electric-starter for my little 7.5HP Merc, due to the pain in my fingers from pulling that cord! :( <br />As for the meds, I have placed personal limits on how many scrip meds I take, so I won't take them.I saw my mom go thru hell because of drug interactions and side effects. Now that the FDA is investigating Naproxin, I'm even more concerned.<br />I did fill the naproxin scrip, under the 'guise of "trying them". I just may some day. But for now, I just grit my teeth and pull the cord. :rolleyes:
I know what you mean about pulling the cord on an outboard motor. Last fall, my bud asked me for help with his motor caused he could not get it started. <br />I think I pulled it about 10 times each hand. That was all I could do. I paid the price of doing that for the next week. <br />I even took time off of work because I played fooseball(soccer) with a couple buddies. The way I stood while playing the game twisted something in my back. Once again, I paid the price for 2 weeks.

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by brother chris:<br /> Diclofenac is what I use and it works most of the time. I also take Emtec(that is Tylenol #3 without the caffiene) on a daily basis(and they still work pretty good. <br />Other than that, a couple shots of rum works as well. <br />I'm still searching for the right meds to work properly.
Didn't know Tylenol #3 had caffeine...knew it had CODEINE...and I gess Tylenol #3 without codeine would be...Tylenol?

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by One More Cast:<br /> Yesterday afternoon after reading these posts I decided to skip my naproxen. This morning my right hand is all swelled up and every joint in my body is hurting. I stopped my Humiera (sp) shots about 6 weeks ago because of side effects. But every day for the last week or so has been worse then the last. If I don't start my meds back up I know what will happen. I have tried it many times before. I will go into a major flare up and won't be able to even dress myself. Nothing will come out of the toothpaste tube when I squeeze it as hard as I can and I will care about absolutely nothing. This does not just effect my joints but rather my whole body.If you have ever been in a car crash and ached all over the next day. That is how I feel only worse. Once this happens it takes months to get back to where I can start enjoying life again. Some of you might remember the photo of me almost naked in the snow. The reason I did that was not to be funny it was because the only thing that would stop the pain was ice. I have tried almost everything I could afford including shark cartilage and now I will try woodlock. Sorry about this post but I know the dangers of the drugs I take and my decision is based on the lesser of two evils. With the drugs I can lead a somewhat normal life and without them it is a living hell and no fishing.OK thats all I'm saying about this subject and now I am going to go try an help my wife paint the bathroom. EDIT A FEW MINUTES LATER... My wife told me to go back and play on the puter...see this RA ain't all bad. :D
Hey, OMC, ehn I heard they were talking about pulling Naproxin because it includes chemicals that have caused a few heart attacks, I got to wondering. If they pulled alcohol because of all the deaths it caused, maybe we could understand. Naproxin has not caused NEARLY the niumber of health risks that tobacco and alcohol have caused, but some body has the power to have it looked at and maybe pulled. The managed to get Vioxx pulled, and it is the meds that are in Naproxin and Aleve...but hey, what does the general public know about the pain relief, huh???

one more cast

Captain

I have been taking naproxin for about 5 years now. I just had a heart stress test last week and everything looked fine. To bad prednisone is so bad for you. If I took 20 mg./day I could do anything. Around Christmas I got a bad cold (I thought it was a med reaction because I couldn't breath) and the doc pumped my pred up to 40 mg./day for 3 days and on the second day I actually ran (about 50 yards) for the first time in years.

spratt

Lieutenant

Had a very good friend who had to have Prednisone treatments after having chemotherapy to build his immune back up...it made him really feel odd...like super speed...is Pred a steroid?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I have osteoarthitis in my right foot and ankle from injury. Also bone spurs and joints in toes all fused by themselvs. Took pain killers for years. Messed up stomach and felt like a junkie. Stopped doing so much because of the pain to walk and got fat.<br /><br />Finally had enough ( or did my wife have enough of me that way?). Stopped the pain killers and boozing, Vioxx, Celebrex, etc and started to diet. I now am 15lbs lighter than I was in the link pics from last summer. Now I can walk for up to 1 hour in home depot before I have to put my foot up. At home with carpet I have no more problems. <br /><br />The little pain I do have is not worth taking prescription pills for. Saturday and Sunday when I know I'll be on my feet a lot, I take two Ibuprofen to reduce swelling and that is it.<br /><br />I feel better, I walk better, I look better and I am happier this way. And a lot of projects are getting done around the house, like putting the laundry on the second floor, and finishing the basement. And the boat. How could I forget restoring that boat????<br /><br />So what if I hurt a little bit? I am a happy camper. Except I can't run or jump and I don't like having to shell out $400 each year for new orthotics. Got to get off those orthotics too.<br /><br />Mark