Arrested at the boat dock this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: Arrested at the boat dock this morning

Hearing your side of the story only doesn't sound like you are guilty of a crime, but you are guilty of poor judgement, IMO. As others said, there were other ways to face this situation without starting out confrontational.

You are right, except he sounds guilty of a crime to me.

hostage

Lieutenant

Now that I think about it, see if you can get the beer bottle remains that they threw at you. Chances are it will have the finger prints on it. Also you could subpoena the doctor and the medical record to see if the guy really went to the hospital.

They initiated physical contact when they threw the bottle at you. IMHO throwing a bottle at someone is worst than punching someone and missing. Granted it wasn't by the person who you pushed. Also when you pushed him did you push him to the side to get around him or did you do a confrontational push by pushing him back? Did you try to go around him and did he move back into your way?

After the fight was over was he bloody, lucid, etc? Also, if you really "assaulted" him, why didn't his friends help to brake up the fight?

SigSaurP229

Commander

I think I would have handled this differently. Sorry but I always try to avoid conflict whenever possible no matter the amount of training I have had.

I think I would have called the cops before even going down there. If they were drunk and had been drinking the last thing I want is someone out towing a boat at 7:00 am when kids are getting ready for school and standing at a bus stop.

I don't fight I have training to defend myself if necessary but have found that usually a calm cool head does better. Yeah it sucks you got arrested but anytime there is physical contact between two parties both parties should go to jail. One party hits another with no retaliation then that person goes to jail.

Now hopefully, you will be vindicated that it was self-defense, but I bet you think twice next time before actually laying hands on a person to move them and consider an alternate route turns out moving him was not actually the easiest route.

Probably would have been easier to ask them if they needed a hand getting loaded up.

Its the Sheriff's departments job to deal with drunken idiots the best thing you can do for yourself now is to lawyer up.

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer

It's easy for us all to "arm-chair referee" this to death, but I think the question we should all be asking is:

What would SBL do?

:D

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

This would have been totally avoided if the first words out of your mouth were:

"Can I have a beer ???" :D :p

cgd7777777

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow amazing you whooped 2 dudes and the other 2 watched and called the police!
That sticker must have really scared them and they didn't want any part of you...so they let the profesionals handle it!
Sure wish we could hear the other side!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

No comments on my opinions. Just want to wish you well with this issue and hope you come out the other side with no blemishes on your record.

infideltarget

Stickers can do amazing things. Put a "NOS" sticker on anything and it gains an instant 150hp!

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Wow amazing you whooped 2 dudes and the other 2 watched and called the police!
That sticker must have really scared them and they didn't want any part of you...so they let the profesionals handle it!
Sure wish we could hear the other side!

Seen many a man get it handed to him so bad and so fast his buddies didn't want any part of it. I am 40 and have never run from Sh&^. My 20 year old son has been MMA training for about three years. I ant saying I would run but I might walk real fast.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Stickers can do amazing things. Put a "NOS" sticker on anything and it gains an instant 150hp!
So if I put 2 of them on its like a 300 shot? Might blow the welds on my intake manifold. HAHAHAHAHAH

ewenm

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i think Judge Judy would say "you touched him first, you cant do that, you pushed him out of your way, your mistake"

sorry , i agree with how you feel, but you made the first move

kailec00

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I hope everything works out for you. Hearing your side of the story, it appears that a confrontation was going to happen regardless, once they started to box you in. Maybe acting first and fast got you out of harms way. Sometimes it is best to go straight at the ambush and fight through it. Just another opinion that doesn?t mean anything, but figured I would throw it out since a lot of people suggested walking away.

cgd7777777

Petty Officer 1st Class

Seen many a man get it handed to him so bad and so fast his buddies didn't want any part of it. I am 40 and have never run from Sh&^. My 20 year old son has been MMA training for about three years. I ant saying I would run but I might walk real fast.

Real buddies wouldn't run
No matter how bad you are there is always somebody badder!
Kinda like that ole' saying "Aint a horse that can't be rode or a cowboy that can't be throwed"

waterinthefuel

Commander

Aggravated assault is a felony. If convicted, kiss your gun rights goodbye.

mikel1291979

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is very unofficial right now, but I have it on good authority this is going no further. Between my lawyer and my officer friends I am being told it looks like the state is disinclined to do anything further. This of course does not release me from a civil suit so I can't give the details that would clear a few things up.
I would like to add this however, it seems many people are under the assumption I approached these guys because I am a martial arts guy. This isn't true. If I was a 115lb man that couldn't throw a punch without hitting myself I still would have gone. You can say it would have been smarter to just head for the other ramp at the beginning and avoided this whole issue. I disagree. I had every right to use that ramp just the same as them or anyone else. I gave them ample time to move and they knew I was waiting. If it was a mechanical problem they were having I would have completely understood. As it was they were obviously not having that sort of problem and were just being jerks. I walked up to them with a friendly smile and very politely asked if they would move over so I could retrieve my rig. They were, in my opinion, looking for a fight.
The moment that beer bottle was thrown I was being attacked. At that moment they broke the law and I had every right to defend myself.
The only reason I mentioned my size and martial art background was because it is important to the case. The arresting officer was sure to note those 2 things in his official little notepad. It takes no great skill to defeat 2 men that have been drinking for several hours, and it means even less when it comes to bragging rights.
In closing let me say this, when you choose to start a fight, to make a decision to hurt another human being whatever happens after that moment is a direct result of your choice.
If you disagree with my opinion then respectfully I say that is fine. There is no rule that says everyone must agree at all times.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

But by the same token it does not release them from a civil action from you, I also agree that the moment the bottle was thrown at you you were the one being attacked and you were defending yourself, the problem for you Mike is that next time you find yourself in this situation (after you go chuck norris on them)call the police immediately!! I'm interested in what happened, I bet your police friends went to bat for you, and I don't mean in a bad way but the DA has to look at several things when they make a decision to bring charges on you, the credibility of the accuser is one of the more important issues at hand but a sworn officer putting his reputation on the line as a character witness is enormous. I expect your lawyer will have some answers for you in the future.

Mike I am not trying to beat you up in this, I cannot say I would have done anything different other then to call the police after the incident but then again I would have had to since there would be 4 men with bullet holes on the ground. I admire you for the proper use of the training you have and you teach

infideltarget

I know at this point everyone is waiting in anxious anticipation of my take on what I would have done (yes you are...don't deny it), so without further ado, what 'Target would have done:

nothing. Absolutely nothing. I would have stood there, like an idiot, giving them the 1000 yard stare and cursing under my breath. I would have done this because of exactly what happened here. Then I would have called my brother...the Drug Task Force cop, that spent 4 years in Afghanistan getting shot at by the Taliban (and just got home 3 months ago to return to his DTF job)...who would have dropped everything to come out and arrest them. He would have insisted that they "resisted arrest" and would have ummm...sobered them up a bit, while I stayed nice and legal-like. After he left with the guys in his car, but before the tow truck got there to tow away their ride, the emergency brake might have "come loose" and the whole rig might just have gone in to the drink. :D

That's what I woulda' done.

Mikel...I hope you can come back when all is said and done and give us a positive report on what happened. This truly sux, and no matter what, I truly believe a man has a right to defend himself. You are right in saying that they were the aggressors here, but honestly, you should have just walked away. You did, and do, have a right to use the same ramp, and they were being jerks...but you said yourself that they were looking for a fight. Martial arts or no...4-on-1 is bad odds. Next time maybe one of THEM has a gun. Ninja-shminja...you can't dodge a bullet. Sometimes it's just not worth it to be "right". Just sayin. Good luck, and God bless bro!

Status
Not open for further replies.