Arrested at the boat dock this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Arrested at the boat dock this morning

Based on my wife's job as a legal advocate...... it is actually up to the States Attny if charges make it to court......then there is the legal situation of who started what..... I hope this all ends quickly with a "boys will be boys" and everything dropped.

When it is all said and done....... just forget it and prove you are the bigger man. Have no fear ....... what comes around will happen to them one day.

"Gecmis olsun" said by Billy Hayes........ May it pass quickly.

hostage

Lieutenant

No matter where you go there will be bad apples. I have lived in Texas, Mass, and New York; things like this doesn't only happen in Texas.

Granted we only heard one side, though if your account is the one that happen. I hope to hear an end of the story that involves a cop being arrested/fired and some drunks being kept off the road and water. At least you know the cop was going above the law by doing favors for hunting buddies. What they say can also be used against them in court as well.

My brother is a def. attny in Houston, he loves cases like this.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

dealing with drunks always stinks, dealing with drunks who know the cops is worse. sorry to hear about it, hope it turns out in your favor.
I also hope for your sake you weren't thinking "good chance to use my training to teach a drunk a lesson" one drunk with a video phone can ruin your day quickly. (not to imply they had a video, I hope they didn't)
good luck with the case.

TilliamWe

Banned

Violence is usually not the answer. As you now probably realize. Good luck in your case, you're going to need it.

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Even if what they did and were doing at the time wasn't right, maybe having a bit of patience with the drunk guys at 6am would have saved you a lot of trouble. You knew they were dumb and drunk before the situation started. Possibly asking them if they need some help in a friendly way and maybe if they caught anything to get a conversation started, instead of asking (even in a nice way) them to move out of your way. I know it sounds stupid to a tough guy who is most likely use to people getting out of their way, but a bit of patience to avoid a few idiots doesn't have to be considered going the "wimp route". Would have saved everyone a lot of trouble. Oh, and if you know how to fight, don't advertise it on your truck. Even if it looks cool.

Not trying to be a jerk here, as I am sorry this happened to you, but most of the time these things are easily avoided.

Jlee815

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the education. I had never heard of Krav Maga I may take a course...
1)I am assuming there were no surveillance cameras at the ramp? it owuld be good to get a tape if there was one.
2) I dont understand how their truck and boat took up 2 ramps.. I assume the two ramps didnt have a divider and the truck and boat was sideways taking up two ramps.

3) I disagree with NGT's opinion. it may have avoided the situation but if good guys do nothing the world will be going to hell a lot faster. I think waiting 10 minutes and then asking was a good thinkg to do. They saw you waiting... Perhaps if this goes to court you can bring up they were violating the "only use ramp for loading or off loading law.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

..................................... an empty beer bottle tossed at me. It misses me and I shove the guy standing between me and my truck out of my way as he is blocking my path on purpose.....................................................................................................

Ad JB stated we've only herd one side of the story. That said, seems you not only choose to engaged them (4 drunks) initially, were also first in using physical force in the situation. I'm not saying the situation would not have escalated, but not engaging them and walking away and calling the police yourself may have been the wiser choice.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Anyway you look at it, Who needs that kind of BS that early in the morning!

Early mornings are for relaxing when your fishing.

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer

It sounds like you got the arrest because you left the scene, and the other guy called the cop. By you leaving, and not calling the police it may have looked like you were trying to run away.

tswiczko

Wow, and I thought my luck sucked, ;)

I'll bet the officers didn't even put it in their report that the other parties involved were intoxicated in public:eek:

infideltarget

I am sure it does buddy, I was scared to death, when they gave notice in 2005 that I could not put in for my retirement, they told me they thought they were going to need me to go back overseas.. Keep in mind I was declared inactive, subject to recall, special training officer in 1993, so spent several years doing nothing but training, but it made me pucker quite a bit, when my time was up and they said NO! :eek:

All the best, keep your rear clean and your head down, we are all thinking about you guys, come home safe, the beer is on me!

Roger that! I was meaning "thank you" for your service BTW...when I re-read my post it sounded wrong. :)

mikel1291979

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Even if what they did and were doing at the time wasn't right, maybe having a bit of patience with the drunk guys at 6am would have saved you a lot of trouble. You knew they were dumb and drunk before the situation started. Possibly asking them if they need some help in a friendly way and maybe if they caught anything to get a conversation started, instead of asking (even in a nice way) them to move out of your way. I know it sounds stupid to a tough guy who is most likely use to people getting out of their way, but a bit of patience to avoid a few idiots doesn't have to be considered going the "wimp route". Would have saved everyone a lot of trouble. Oh, and if you know how to fight, don't advertise it on your truck. Even if it looks cool.

Not trying to be a jerk here, as I am sorry this happened to you, but most of the time these things are easily avoided.

Maybe I didn't explain why I have that on the back of my truck. I own the school and what is on the back of my truck is simply advertising. No different than the thousands of work vehicles with the name of their business on the back.
Also I don't consider myself a tough guy. I have walked away from bad situations before and tried to walk away from this one. I did physically touch someone first, but only after the bottle was thrown and the man I pushed was intentionally blocking my path between the side of the dock and their truck. Removing him from my path was the fastest exit point. There was in my opinion no other way to handle this situation.

mikel1291979

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the education. I had never heard of Krav Maga I may take a course...
1)I am assuming there were no surveillance cameras at the ramp? it owuld be good to get a tape if there was one.
2) I dont understand how their truck and boat took up 2 ramps.. I assume the two ramps didnt have a divider and the truck and boat was sideways taking up two ramps.

3) I disagree with NGT's opinion. it may have avoided the situation but if good guys do nothing the world will be going to hell a lot faster. I think waiting 10 minutes and then asking was a good thinkg to do. They saw you waiting... Perhaps if this goes to court you can bring up they were violating the "only use ramp for loading or off loading law.
Holy crap, you have dividers? This is basically like a wide driveway that leads into the water with a pier extending 15 feet on either side. Only 1 tie down on each side too....

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Maybe I didn't explain why I have that on the back of my truck. I own the school and what is on the back of my truck is simply advertising. No different than the thousands of work vehicles with the name of their business on the back.
Also I don't consider myself a tough guy. I have walked away from bad situations before and tried to walk away from this one. I did physically touch someone first, but only after the bottle was thrown and the man I pushed was intentionally blocking my path between the side of the dock and their truck. Removing him from my path was the fastest exit point. There was in my opinion no other way to handle this situation.

Seems then your only error in judgment was not calling the Police yourself before leaving the scene.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

I agree, if your version of this days events are accurate the only thing I can see that you completely hosed was not calling the Police, even the worst Lawyer will tell you this is a very important issue in a Jury trial of your peers.

BUT, I would certainly retain a lawyer immediately

Look I have no reason to believe your description of events are nothing less then you have stated but if you were not interviewed prior to or after arrest then either the case is very good or were talking about a world class Charlie Foxtrot by the responding Law Enforcement Agency. A good Lawyer will pay dividends for your case including punitive/civil damages which would certainly apply here with the story as stated

Good Luck Mike

Bob, things here in the west are a bit different, the District Attorney's are elected by the Districts Constituents not at the state level mostly because we have counties bigger then some eastern states, but the DA's answer to the State Attorney General, I believe Texas has a similar system as Colorado

ngt

Ok, I can see the advertising part, but it isn't quite the same as say a landscaping company or something. When a cop looks at it, it's a place that means "I know how to hurt people." They were acting stupid, but going down there with the intent to make them understand it was time to move the boat, wasn't going to work if they were toasted enough to throw a bottle at you. You ended up going to the other ramp anyways. I don't know man. Do you think those guys will think twice before doing that again?

aspeck

Staff member

ngt, were you one of the 4 guys??? LOL! Just kidding ... I agree with a lot of what you are saying.

2 sides to all story, and we have only heard one side, so it is hard to make a judgement.

Advertising a Marshal Arts Training Center is not against the law, or stupid, or ... it is good marketing to get a businesses name out for others to see.

However, there is one thing to protect yourself and not back down and another thing to go looking to stir up trouble. Walking up to 4 drunk guys and telling them to get out of your way ... as an MA instructor, I would think that you should know not to do that.

Hearing your side of the story only doesn't sound like you are guilty of a crime, but you are guilty of poor judgement, IMO. As others said, there were other ways to face this situation without starting out confrontational.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I agree with the OP.
The drunks were in the way, they knew what they was doing, they knew he was waiting.
Call it a bad call but I would of done the same thing.

Kudos to the op for standing up for whats right. Thats worth paying a fine even if it's not justified.

MMA rocks, You guys are bad as-.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

I agree with the OP.
The drunks were in the way, they knew what they was doing, they knew he was waiting.
Call it a bad call but I would of done the same thing.

Kudos to the op for standing up for whats right. Thats worth paying a fine even if it's not justified.

MMA rocks, You guys are bad as-.

Bud, normally I would agree with you but in this case absolutely not, were not talking about a fine here, The OP is looking at Aggravated Assault charges. I could tell you what I would have done but it would surely get this thread closed, I will say that I am not a Krav Maga instructor, I do however carry, 4 against me would have been much much worse for them, and much better for me or in this case the OP.

Again all this is on the description of events as told by the OP, Mods feel free to delete my post if its over the line before locking the thread please

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Heck, I have Silver Star plate on my Jeep and a picture of an M16 and a AK47 on either side of it with my dates of service, on the side of my console in the vehicle, there is a holster that holds my .40 S&W Pistol, across the front visor area there is a decal that says "Armed, but not to dangerous" So most people figure out that I am probably carrying! I played the hand to hand to much for a long time...awe heck I will leave it at that!

:p

But in reality, I have calmed down allot the last few years, my CJ-7 had a M60 Mount on the Roll Bar, it was great fun when we were running back country roads, cause I had the M60 as well(I am a FFL holder, so it was legal) I used to be pretty roudy, with a bit of anger in me, but as I said, I have calmed a lot! ;)

m60.jpg

I sold the M60, but I still own the M16 and the AK47 and just picked up a new old stock AR15 that will be converted. Got that from a buddy of mine that runs the local National Guard Armory..

Status
Not open for further replies.