Arrested at the boat dock this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikel1291979

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So my father and I were fishing early this morning and we decided to stop and go get some breakfast. Get to the boat dock and there is a truck launching at the ramp, taking up both lanes. I try to be a nice guy and I give them about 10 minutes without saying anything. Keep in mind its 6 in the morning and these guys (4 of them) are drinking and Im pretty sure they are just continuing from the night before.
After the 10 minutes I politely walk up and ask them if they could pull out so I could take my boat out of the water. I get ignored. I ask again and hear one of them say to the one closest to me "tell that stupid mexican to go eat some burritos." Im not even mexican. I make my request again and get an empty beer bottle tossed at me. It misses me and I shove the guy standing between me and my truck out of my way as he is blocking my path on purpose. I get around him and someone else jumps in the way while another guy punches me in the back of the head.
At this point the fight is on between me the guy who punched me and the guy I shoved. The other 2 are cheering on their buddies.
I am not a pushover. Im 280lbs and I am a Krav Maga instructor as well. The fight lasts about 20 seconds and then I am walking back to my father who is still in the boat and I tell him to bring the boat to a ramp across the lake and I will meet him there.
I leave the ramp and 15 minutes later I arrive at the next ramp to see a line of about 4 boats. As I am waiting a sheriff deputy pulls up followed by 1 of the guys from the original truck. They called the police and told them I started the fight, I threatened them with a knife. On the back of the truck I have the name of my Krav Maga school and the deputy notices this. The deputy decides I (1 man) felt like picking a fight with 4 guys and I should be arrested for this. He doesn't let me explain my side of the story, he doesn't ask me a single question other than do I understand my rights.
I am arrested for assault, then later informed it would become agg assault as one of the guys was later taken to the hospital with injuries.
Cost me $1500 to get out of jail and when I see my father he tells me while I was sitting in the police car the other non combatant arrived, spoke to the cop and to him "thanks paul, see you at the hunt club tomorrow."
I used to love my small Texas town, but there is so much blatant racism I feel like I can no longer live here.

boaterinsd

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Arrested at the boat dock this morning

WOW, that SUCKS. I am just amazed at some people these days. I mean come on if it was me or you with beer in a truck or boat it would be us in jai lor DUI or Bui. Its like my luck in these cases. Us good guys end up on the losing end of the stick. I wish I could be at a ramp but we still have ice on some lakes and snow on the ground . So best of luck to you.

rickryder

Commander

All I can say is WOW! and I thought NJ was bad.....remind me never to go to Texas! Sorry to hear you got the short end bud! Good Luck!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Sorry to hear that, does not sound like you had a good day, get yourself a lawyer and let him/her know exactly what happened..

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Word of advice....... I should just lock this post up. The internet (including iboats) is not a good place to discuss a legal charge that is pending.

I can not imagine how you feel about the incident however, I understand your frustration.

If you would like to delete this thread PLEASE use the little black triangle in the lower portion of the blue area and request it. I do not want to see your defense compromised in your legal case.

Bob

mikel1291979

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Bob. Im ok with this thread as everything I have posted is public record and I purposely did not include very many specifics. The arrest report will go into much further detail than what I have posted.
I have spoken to several police officers (I offer free classes for law enforcement at my school which is in the next town over) and they have all agreed to be character witnesses for me if it comes to that.
This is more of a rant thread than anything else, but also its a warning to my fellow iboaters. In this day and age even defending yourself from a threat can get you into legal trouble. It seems the best course would have been to let 2 drunk rednecks beat the stuffing out of me.

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer

That's truth right there. God forbid you actually have some self defense training. My whole family takes one form of martial arts or another. And I have learned a thing or two from being here. ;) But if you get in a fight of any kind, they say you have "training" and that even in a defensive position, you are likely to "inflict great harm", and therefore do not have to be in possession of a weapon to warrant agg assault. Bogus and stupid, but true. Hope it all works out for you man.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Mike , as another person who was abiding the law but got screwed by injustice in a certain situation, I sooooooooo feel for ya. Just reading yer post bumped my blood pressure and heart rate 50 points I wish you my best..........

PS... Bob,,, kudos 2 u for your understanding response...

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I guess the, Don't mess with Texas has a new meaning.

I wish you the best.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Seems to me that you should file assault charges against those guys. Threw a bottle at you attacked you from behind, etc, etc.

Of course, we have only heard one side of this incident so we cannot fairly judge but if your description is accurate they attacked you. If they did so because of some ethnic prejudice they have violated Federal law.

You might want to talk to the FBI.

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer

Too late! I read it. "Thank you"...BTW. This place still sucks, in case you were wondering... ;)

mikel...you will undoubtedly win this little episode in the end, but will it put a dent in your boat project?

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

Seems to me that you should file assault charges against those guys. Threw a bottle at you attacked you from behind, etc, etc.

Of course, we have only heard one side of this incident so we cannot fairly judge but if your description is accurate they attacked you. If they did so because of some ethnic prejudice they have violated Federal law.

You might want to talk to the FBI.

They could very well have the tables turned on them and be facing "Hate Crime" charges. Even though you're not Mexican, they referred to you as such.

Good luck. If you have several police officers as character wittnesses, you'll probably be just fine, considering the circumstances. The arresting officer wittnessed none of the incident.

mikel1291979

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Too late! I read it. "Thank you"...BTW. This place still sucks, in case you were wondering... ;)

mikel...you will undoubtedly win this little episode in the end, but will it put a dent in your boat project?
It won't delay my boat build, but I had plans for something else that will have to wait. Im sure in the end it will turn out ok, but tomorrow my name will be in the paper of my little town and thats very embarrassing for me.

mikel1291979

Petty Officer 2nd Class

They could very well have the tables turned on them and be facing "Hate Crime" charges. Even though you're not Mexican, they referred to you as such.

Good luck. If you have several police officers as character wittnesses, you'll probably be just fine, considering the circumstances. The arresting officer wittnessed none of the incident.
The problem here is the same problem with proving who started the fight. Its all my word against theirs.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I am sure it does buddy, I was scared to death, when they gave notice in 2005 that I could not put in for my retirement, they told me they thought they were going to need me to go back overseas.. Keep in mind I was declared inactive, subject to recall, special training officer in 1993, so spent several years doing nothing but training, but it made me pucker quite a bit, when my time was up and they said NO! :eek:

All the best, keep your rear clean and your head down, we are all thinking about you guys, come home safe, the beer is on me!

G

Don't worry man THEY will get thiers someday when they pick on the wrong guy(s) and then you can say what we all are thinking "STUPID DRUNKS DON'T MAKE GOOD HUMANS")! Monkeys are smarter then they were, remember that someday they WILL get whats coming to them and I sure hope you are there to witness it.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

The problem here is the same problem with proving who started the fight. Its all my word against theirs.

If you've never had an incident such as this in the past, and they have, your attorney will find out about it. Sounds like everyone involved has accuaintances with police officers. It may come down to all parties history which gains the judge/juries acceptance. Those who ignore polite requests and throw beer bottles at those making polite requests, drive drunk, operate boats drunk... Need I continue? They generally have long histories of this same type of activity and worse. For all it's worth, I think you'll be OK. Have you attempted to file a police report against them yet? They are guilty of aggravated assault (the beer bottle thrown at you, and punching you to the back of your head).

Good luck...

Status
Not open for further replies.