Arkansas Get Together

sasto

Captain
Re: Arkansas Get Together

Where is Arrr-kansas anyway? Is that a pirate village in Kansas? :rolleyes:

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

Incoop, I think I've figured out why you can't seem to get this things going....I took a look from Google Earth and........

View attachment 138367

....there's NOBODY THERE:eek:

Hey scoyt....no Razorback disrespect here....sasto and I are just ribbin Incoop a bit!

In light of his earlier attempt to get something going, it just seems strange that there aren't more potential takers. A quick search of some info tells me there are more than 600,000 acres of lakes and over 90,000 miles of rivers with just over 205,000 registered vessels in AR.

.......and keeping this thread alive.;)

Now that's alot of water. I've never been out that way, I would have never thought. I don't have a suitable trailerable boat, but maybe lncoop will let me on his barge. :D

Only if you promise to man the grill.:cool: It's true, we have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to water, and for that matter just about any outdoor recreation one might care to pursue (not a whole lot of blue water fishing though).;)
You just haven't lived until you've taken an overnight canoe trip on one of the Ozark Mountains rivers . :)

lncoop

Vice Admiral

You just haven't lived until you've taken an overnight canoe trip on one of the Ozark Mountains rivers . :)

That's a fact. I'm hooked BIG TIME. I'm so spoiled because the Buffalo is only a couple hours away, and it ain't exactly an ugly drive. I was just there last weekend. I've been taking multi-day raft trips on the Buffalo and the Current. It's like canoe camping only there's no skill required and you can bring everything including the kitchen sink. Swabbie, we'd be honored for you to join us if and when this thing happens. Stay tuned. It's slowly turning into something.

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Just got the heads up from Incoop! I'm in as soon as the lil lady is out of dry dock! Memorial day at the latest shooting for two weeks though. Just ironing out last minute wiring stuff. Now all this harassment from the FL peeps throws me into a dilemma. I was born in Brandon, FL and have now been in AR 12 years. WHAT SIDE DO I CHOOSE?! Well its WOO PIG SOOIE for this guy! Personally i think all that salt gets to their heads :p Good thing I got out when I did!

Edit: My little plug... umm if ya wanna take a look at the wiring stuff... my questions and progress is in both my resto thread and a thread in the electrical section... Hey dont fault me I had to do it... there is WAY too much beautiful Arkansas weather passing me up :facepalm:

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

Here we go. :eek:

Your just jealous cause you don't think us inlanders can do it.

We're gonna make that Florida thing look like a preschool party. Arent't we Incoop?

UH OH, what did I just do???? :confused:

sasto

Captain

Here we go. :eek:

Your just jealous cause you don't think us inlanders can do it.

We're gonna make that Florida thing look like a preschool party. Arent't we Incoop?

UH OH, what did I just do???? :confused:

LOL......Bump! :D Just givin' you "Inlanders" a hand. "Brotherhood"? HMMMMM?

Signed: Flor-Idiot from Flori-Duh!!!. :rolleyes:

95266br

Cadet

Well thx to the Iboat gang we should have the floor back into the old crownie 266
Our gang is form Springfield mo... Would love to join if you can put up with some northern
Hillbillies!

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Well thx to the Iboat gang we should have the floor back into the old crownie 266
Our gang is form Springfield mo... Would love to join if you can put up with some northern
Hillbillies!

All I can say to that is YEEHAWWWW!!!

Oh, and here's an updated pic so everyone will be able to recognize me.
images.jpg

The Rooster

Ensign

Alright "Coop", it's time to get this party started. Unfortunately, can't do Memorial or July 4th weekends, got to make petroleum products for America, but, the First Mate is good for 5 other weekends. May-19th, June-2nd, June-30th, July 28th, & Aug. 11th. Just throwing it out there early. Saturdays work better for us due to travelling back on Sundays. Would be bringing the "Baby Rooster"-Jet ski for this weekend.

By the way, I see from your latest picture that the Jenny Craig thing is really working for you. Keep up the good work !!! :D

Cliff S.

sasto

Captain

I've been on this island too long! There is alot of America I would love to see. Arkansas is one of those places. I've got to get out of here.

When this thing comes together, I may try to make it. I can't think of anything better than loading up the SUV and heading west......except maybe getting off these antibiotics and having a beer.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Okay, It's against my nature to be serious, but I'll try. I just did a head count and we're up to seven (I think) and a maybe. That does not include families, who are encouraged to attend by the way. I know my girls will. We need to start talking about when and where so we can begin to look at logistics. First the where. The two obvious choices are Ouachita and Greers Ferry. Each has a lot to recommend it, but let's compare and contrast them within the context of our conversation.

Both lakes are clear, deep and beautiful with many good access points and several marinas. Both have lodging ranging from camping to resort accomodations. Both are very popular with every kind of recreationist and offer great boating, fishing (don't count on me for any particular local insight there), tubing, skiing, wakeboarding, jet skiing, etc. and general water play.

Ouachita is the biggest lake in Arkansas at just over 65 thousand acres (land holdings included) and is marginally geographically advantageous for most of those involved. It has more to offer off the water as Hot Springs is just down the road. There are lots of really cool islands suitable for camping for those so inclined, although the best ones get taken pretty quickly on the weekends so an advanced guard would be recommended. There's a lot of boat traffic including houseboats, many of which are rentals, which some may consider a liability. Not sure about lodging. There's plenty, but it's spread around the lake and runs the gamut with regard to price, comfort, amenities and availability, so we may or may not be able to stay close together when we're not boating.

Greers Ferry is big but not as big as Ouachita. I believe it's just under fifty thousand acres, but it matches Ouachita for access and fun. It's in the foothills of the Ozarks, so the topography is different on and off the water. Lots of good bluffs for jumping from, accessible creek mouths, etc. There's a planned resort community there called Fairfield Bay that includes a large condo complex owned by Wyndham. It's a time share facility, but there are always lots of units available to the general public. They're pleasant and very reasonable. There's also a really nice marina there, but it's pretty busy so I don't know what kind of transient slip availability there is. I've slipped my boat there twice on July 4th, so I know they have them. I just don't know how many. There's very little to do off the water. There are restaurants in the area. I'm not crazy about most of them, but there's a great one on the water that's accessible by boat. On the other side of the dam is the Little Red River which is full of trout (and trout fishermen:rolleyes:). It's great fishing year round if you don't mind the pressure. I'd be happy to provide a canoe and shuttle if someone wanted to give it a go for something different.

Those are the wheres. Let's talk about the when. It's generally hot here from June to September, no there's no point in scheduling early to avoid the heat. I suspect lodging will be easier to come by in August, but I can't say for sure because the Coops usually just day trip. Why don't we start with the dates that are out of the question. We may not be able to accomodate everyone no matter when we go, but at least we can rule out the obvious.

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm with incoop on this one as far as the where... Day trips are all I ever take mostly to the Greer's/Heber/Choctaw area. So as far as that is concerned both would be suitable for the get together... i know i know that's no help:facepalm:

I'm open most weekends and have no future plans thus far. I'm voting for past memorial day to get everything all worked out on the ole Sea Nymph.

As far as a head count on this end I'm thinking 2-3; just me and a couple of buddies/ladies :rolleyes: ya never know. Unfortunately as a recent PT grad the family part of my life has yet to take hold... still on the search

lncoop

Vice Admiral

We'll definitely wait until after Memorial Day weekend. We want to give people time to get all the cobwebs blown out of their motors, get in those early family trips, etc., and once summer officially begins the rain chances decrease dramatically.

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

I've been on this island too long! There is alot of America I would love to see. Arkansas is one of those places. I've got to get out of here.

When this thing comes together, I may try to make it. I can't think of anything better than loading up the SUV and heading west......except maybe getting off these antibiotics and having a beer.

Hey Sasto.....I'm beginning to think Incoop may just pull this off....if you go, maybe I could ride with you and share the expenses......keep it quiet so Incoop doesn't know what we're up to............

lncoop

Vice Admiral

hey sasto.....i'm beginning to think incoop may just pull this off....if you go, maybe i could ride with you and share the expenses......keep it quiet so incoop doesn't know what we're up to............

look everybody!!!!!!!!!!! Richard's discovered whispering!!!!!!!!