Are you really a liberal?

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Are you really a liberal?

What can I really say? You folks seem to have dug up every loophole available, do you think that I'm going to try and respond likewise? No, I don't think so. Execute the offenders.

treedancer

Commander

I am not republican nor am I a democrat don’t know guess maybe will call myself a member of the buffet party. :D

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm VERY passionate about this, I simply cannot justify abortion in any situation whatsoever. The bottom line is that the only difference between a baby in the womb during birth and a baby in the mothers arms are only a foot or so and that the mother gets to hold the child in her own arms after pre-natal care. Abortion should be a crime and a long term sentence, if not life in jail. And to think that we've supposedly advanced as a culture and civilization yet we still kill babies in the womb. Please, Jesus Christ, save us!

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class

Their is a huge difference between being conservative and the current Republican Party. <br /><br />I think what GWB is trying to do is take away the Dem's issues, and in turn some of the things going on drives me insane. The problems with imigration, the IRS, the EPA, and even the UN are all things that I think should be changed.<br /><br />Again abortion is a personal issue, and Gov't shouldn't be involved, I am personally anti abortion, but things in my life lead me to this position. I have never had a personal challange to give me any other way to look at it, I mean none of the females in my life have been raped, ect.<br /><br />Capitalism is the only way, look around the world and show me another way for a society to exist. I realize that capatilsm leads into some areas that greed controls, but I would rather have that than any gov't intervention into the economy than already exists. As soon as they stick their neck into a portion of the economy, like price controls, or tarrifs, that area gets screwed up fast.<br /><br />JB, I could be a Libertarian, but they have no political power, and voting that way is a waste of time. If they ever could get a decent canadate, I could change.<br /><br />I vote straight ticket, I decided long ago, that its not the canadate, but the way they vote, and the republicans are better than the socalist direction of the Democrats. No one scares me more than Hilliary and what she would do if she had her way. The health care system she wanted shows her true colors.<br /><br />The world current policical and social directions worry me quite a lot also. I think Hilliary would love to join in, and turn us into the current French or German political feel good direction. If we ever go the the EURO, I think were cooked. <br /><br />Canada is another country with huge problems, Health Care, gun control, and their taxing situation are all areas that would happen to us if the Dem's got their way.<br /><br />JB, show me someone else to vote for, and I'll do it. <br /><br />Spud

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry, I forgot the Military, the only reason we can sit and have this discussion or argument is because of the freedoms we all enjoy. And the only reason we still have these freedoms is because of the soldiers and prior generations sacrifice during wars to protect our way of life. I am totally pro military, and pro strong defense. I think we don't do enough to keep the military going. Base closures, ect. are really bugging me. <br /><br />All this crap about how we have treated the current terroist detaniees is pure BS. <br />I think we should go back to the "DON'T TREAD ON ME FLAG".<br /><br />Spud out

theriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Spud, <br /><br />I'll bite, perhaps you could enlighten me as to what Canada's problems are.<br /><br />1)They have universal health care. Something we could never afford or administer. We should be in awe!<br />2)A growing handgun problem from guns being smuggled from the US into cities like Toronto are causing huge problems I see on the news, other than that guns are registered, but control isn't at issue.<br />3)A relatively high tax rate is in place, but the country is larger than the US, and the population is only 10% of the US. To support that infrastructure, its expensive. I spend lots of time in Canada and you get what you pay for. The cities are clean and public services seem better, major highways are smoother there are no tolls etc.<br /><br />Just wondering where you are coming from.

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks,<br /><br />I'll give you some of the facts, yes Canada is beautiful and full of wilderness.<br /><br />Guns were taken from Canadian citizens, if it is a US problem, then we go back to the US argument, control guns from law abiding poeple, then who has guns? Guns are a problem only to the point that idiots (criminals) who use them during crimes. <br /><br />My partner is from Canada, talk about the health care system, ya right, the system is clogged up with people who have colds, and doctors are paid by the Govn't. Good doc's come to the US. Many of the most skilled surgeons are from Canada. Do you go there for health care? Why do their doc's come here, ya they get paid what there worth here. A good old economic principal that works in the evil capitialistic system. <br /><br />and most of all, to support there huge country, what is their tax rate, and what amount goes to health care as compaired to nat'l defense. Ya, there free loaders, they enjoy the proctection and freedoms from my tax money spent on defense, but it is assumed by them that there is not threat to their arrogant lives. I had a roomate in college from Canada, and Nothing in the US could compare to wonderous Canada. Again, ya its beautiful, but I wouldn't wanna live there.<br /><br />All that and you attacked me on Canada. Come on, I opened myself up and you attacked on Canada.<br /><br />Spud

rottenray6402

Ensign

If at 20 you aren't a liberal you have no heart, if at 40 you aren't a conservative you have no brain..... an old quote but it still works. Also for the "middle of the roaders": if you stand for nothing you will fall for anything. Also on the gun control issue: Look at NYC, Washington D.C., and the other major cities that have the strictest gun laws. Is their crime rate lower? No, because if I am going to rob someone it is against the law or if I kill someone it is against the law, why should I worry if having an illegal gun is against the law? Come on people, get a clue. The reason the crime rate in Canada is climbing isn't because of smuggled guns, it is because their society is breaking down just like ours did back in the 50's. This is a little off subject but I would think it is safe to say I am a conservative.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

note to Erik: I understand how you feel about that issue, and I can't dispute anything you say. Judge me if you must, but understand that you are judging most of the people around you as heartless criminals, not because of anything we've done, but because we decline to judge somebody else. <br />Matthew 7:1 "Judge not, that ye be not judged."<br />John 8:7 "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her."<br />John 8:11 "...And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee...."

PW2

Commander

JB,<br /><br />You are slighly off on your definitions<br /><br />quote><br />A liberal wants the government to give everyone fish and ban guns, rods and reels.><br /><br />No a liberal is fine with people hunting and fishing. They just want to collect enough fees to pay to manage and replentish the resource so that there continues to be fish and game available for all future generations. And they don't mind you hunting either, but they don't think you to ought to need a fully automatic AK 47 with a 100 shot clip to bag Bambi <br /><br />>A conservative wants everyone to know how to fish and hunt.><br /><br />No, a conservative wants to take all the fish and game he can as fast as he can for fear someone else might get there first and get more.<br /><br /><br />>A libertarian wants government and everyone else to leave him the heck alone.><br /><br />No, they just don't want to pay to manage the resource, and they rely on the hope that the conservatives are not competent enough to completely exhaust the resource before they get there.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by PW2:<br /> No, a conservative wants to take all the fish and game he can as fast as he can for fear someone else might get there first and get more.<br />
PW,<br /><br />You know this definition is not true. You present some of the better and more intelligent discussions from the left. Why would you dilute the sincerity in which a conservative may view your posts with this?<br /><br />I challenged you to discuss the positions attributed to liberals above after you said that labels are meaningless, yet you choose instead to define labels? :confused: <br /><br />Again, I think you are a very bright guy, why not defend or refute the positions noted from the beginning of the post?

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

PW2,<br /><br />Your response to JB - couldn't have said it better - well done.

QC

Supreme Mariner

spud,<br /><br />Great posts!! I have done a lot of work in the UK and have asked many about their "free" health care system. Most of them actually buy private medical insurance because the lines and the wait and the ineptitude of the state run system force them too. So they get to pay twice!!!!

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Q-cat, hey I used to live in the LA area, where are you from?<br /><br />And you like Mead, have you tried Lake Powell, its Lake Mead, but tons better, its like boating in the Zions narrows. Its super cool.<br /><br />See ya<br />Spud

QC

Supreme Mariner

spud,<br /><br />I am in Chino Hills. It is about 35 miles due east of L.A. I have lived in the L.A. area my whole life, but lived in a variety of suburbs. I refer to the whole darn thing as L.A.<br /><br />Check into the Boating destinations section for posts about Mead and Powell. DR, DJ and I have made quite a few posts. I have been to Powell once and loved it, need to go again. Mead is 4.5 hour from home, Powell over 8. That is basically it.

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class

Likewise, <br />I lived in the county North of LA, Lived in Camarillo, and Santa Barbara.<br /><br />I realize Powell has to be a long haul for you. Going there in 2 weeks for a couple weeks, should be great.<br /><br />Spud

theriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Spud, Perhaps they don't need to spend as much on defense because they don't **** off as many countries as we do.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

JT, It is my opinion that nobody is a pure "whatever".<br /><br />It was my attempt, in a humorous allegory of Confucious, to define the "pure" liberal, conservative, etc.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Quietcat & jtexas: Yes, my alternatives to questions 3 and 17 are VERY leading, just as I believe the original questions to be in their original form. I phrased them that way as a counter example to the biased nature of the originial questions. <br /><br />How many people (left or right) do you really think would agree that "No abortions can be labeled immoral"? What proportion of people do you think would agree that an elective abortion at just shy of 9 months, and with no life threatening health risks to the mother involved, is moral? I suspect you'll agree that it's pretty darn small. And yet the questionnaire implies that if one answers the original question "Disagree" (which would be the truth for most people), that they agree with the conservative position, which is that almost ALL abortions should be banned, with almost no choice left to the potential mother, regardless of the stage or circumstances of the pregnancy.<br /><br />In the counter example, it's biased the opposite way. How many people would agree that "There are NO situations under which a woman should be allowed to have an abortion"? Think of a case where, say, a woman whose health would result in her death if she were to carry a child to full term got pregnant as a result of being raped by her father, and wanted to terminate the pregnancy within two weeks of conception. I bet that even many 'conservatives' would have to honestly admit that they wouldn't view that as 'immoral', therefore if they were honest they would have to disagree with the question as stated, and one could then imply (falsely) that the responder approved of abortion in general.<br /><br />w.r.t. the capitol punishment question, again it's so generalized as to make it meaningless. I'm not thinking from either a literal or legal interpretation of the question, rather a practical one, which is how I believe most responders would interpret it. I bet you'd find many people labeled as 'liberals' who would agree with the death penalty in certain circumstances but believe the way it's currently administered in our system to be flawed to the point of needing revision to avoid executing innocent people. Yet the question doesn't allow for this caveate, and therefore has little meaning. <br /><br />And as for the Israeli/Palestinian question, I attempted to present an alternative question that was neutral and positive, rather than leading. If my alternative question is true (which I firmly believe), then how does it help to aportion 'blame' between two parties who have both done wrong? What couod the possible intention of the original question be? To assign one side a higher degeree of 'blame' and thereby support the other side 100%, regardless of their contribution to the problem? What is the cut off point to make that a valid approach, and how does one determine it? Say it's 51% wrong vs. 49% wrong. What about 70% vs. 30%? Does anyone really believe that a solution could be reached by addresing only the 70% of the injustice on the one side?<br /><br />All this is somewhat related to JB (and pw2's) criticism of labels. Like most things, the degree of liberalism or conservatism across the two groups almost assuredly follows something like a normal curve (obviously with a different center point for the two, respectively). That is, the majority of each group falls under the 'middle' of the range of liberalism or conservatisim, respectively. There are far fewer at the extreme ends of either spectrum. But this quiz, and labeling in general, tends to paint the groups as a whole as if they represent the extreme ends, not the middle where most people reside. <br /><br />Add to that the people who agree strongly with the position of liberals w.r.t. some issues, and with conservatives with respect to others, and the limitations of labels become even more apparent.