Are all old wood boats rotten?

Ismaris

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 19, 2010
Messages
12
I've looked at 5 old Lyman boats (50's models, 15' & 16.5'), and so far every one of them look great above the water line, and show various stages of rot below. All were advertised as "turn key", or words to that effect. Am I doomed to spinning my wheels needlessly unless I buy a boat fresh from Doc Lyman's shop? This is frustrating! Do you guys with wooden boats have any advice? Where is the line between safe and not so safe? Punky rib ends ok? Transom, stem, keel rot not ok?

Smack me down if I'm just being naiive.
 

Randy J

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Joined
Oct 24, 2009
Messages
170
Re: Are all old wood boats rotten?

i dont know about all wood boats are rotten, but i know a few owners that are rotten
 

Zyen

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Joined
Oct 4, 2011
Messages
159
Re: Are all old wood boats rotten?

i dont know about all wood boats are rotten, but i know a few owners that are rotten
hahahaha. :p

I've looked at 5 old Lyman boats (50's models, 15' & 16.5'), and so far every one of them look great above the water line, and show various stages of rot below. All were advertised as "turn key", or words to that effect. Am I doomed to spinning my wheels needlessly unless I buy a boat fresh from Doc Lyman's shop? This is frustrating! Do you guys with wooden boats have any advice? Where is the line between safe and not so safe? Punky rib ends ok? Transom, stem, keel rot not ok?

Smack me down if I'm just being naiive.

IMO ANY rot is bad.
 

60Clipper

Seaman
Joined
Jun 1, 2010
Messages
69
Re: Are all old wood boats rotten?

As ke5jro said, any rot is bad, no matter where it is. Rot is like cancer and unless it's stopped, it will spread. If your looking for a true turn key wood boat, plan on spending some good coin. Good wooden boats don't come cheap. The ones that are cheap, relatively speaking, generally need extensive restoration done to them. Many times during the restoration process, you find areas that are bad that weren't discovered during the initial inspection. It really comes down to what your budget is and how much, if any, restoration you want to do. Just my 2 cents worth.

Bob
 

Speakrdude

Ensign
Joined
Feb 25, 2004
Messages
942
Re: Are all old wood boats rotten?

From my experience, most fiberglass boats are rotten too!
 
Top