Anyone on here own this boat?

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Anyone on here own this boat?

Not sure if the factory ones didn't look good around the bends too or not..
i think mine is still original windshield. looking through the bend distorts vision. imho, it's likely the norm....
yer work looks great....

Oldrod 47

Petty Officer 3rd Class

+1 on the dash, much nicer than the fake wood. Back in the day phoney wood was the style

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

The dash looks good. I kept my original in case I ever wanted to put it back.

streetrods

Seaman

Have not had much time to work on the boat but I about have the interior done..Waiting on front seats and need to install a sound system.. I did away withe the wood cooler and ski locker covers.. Bought some pvc board from lowes to use instead.. Here are some crappy cell phone pictures...

boat 015.jpgboat 017.jpgboat 019.jpg

renojim

Seaman Apprentice

Wow Street, that bright red really looks great. It looks like your gonna be ready to splash before me.
Don't know how much sound you want. If you look in the pic you can kinda see where I put mine. Two 6" rounds up front. Close to the gear shift. I didn't want to cut into the back sides for fear of cracking so I built boxes for 6x9"s. They fit perfect under the lip of the mid seats. Wy wife wanted to be able to hear them while she was skiing so they face backward. I put 6' feet of wire on them so if its just the two of us and she wants to rock out, I lift the seat a little and put them against the back seats facing forward.

interior.jpg

Take care and keep posting pics.

streetrods

Seaman

It sure got slow on this board.. No projects going on? I got the front seats back and installed... I worked on an RV for the guy who redid them for me and he didn't want me to pay him anything for doing it..they turned out nice..much better than I could have done for sure..
boat 022.jpgboat 023.jpg

A different look than when I got it..

HPIM2165.jpg

streetrods

Seaman

Got the red painted and the top back on... Next up install some new aftermarket rub rail..roll the bottom of boat with white interluxe.. and spray the trailer white.. It's getting there..

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

great job, nice looking boat.

Oldrod 47

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Looks Great!!!! I will be saving this thread as a guide if and when I locate the right project boat.

streetrods

Seaman

Took her out to the lake yesterday... Didn't sink and I didn't need a tow so that is a good day.. : )

I do have a question about the temperature gauge.. It starts in the yellow then there is the green area and then it's red.. I wish it was a numbers gauge.. Where is everyone's running at?

Mine never got out of the green but would creep up to the upper middle/top of the green if you cruised around for about 10 mins.. I never ran it much longer at a time than that but I just wonder about that.. Think I will take my laser next time and check at the water neck..

boat 049.jpg
boat 050.jpg
boat 058.jpg

ziggy

Admiral

if your gauge is like mine, there are also 4 hash marks above the yellow/green/red band of color. normal op. temp on mine is about on the far left hash mark, maybe a little lower than that. when it get's hot out it may creep up to the left hash mark or a shade above, but never much higher.
looks like a great first splash. congrats. she looks great. a job well done...
IMG_3704.jpg

normal operating temp for me, usual.
IMG_3702.jpg

start up after a sit, after a run, heat soaked.
IMG_3668-1.jpg

after a heat soaked start up. a almost wot run she falls to about the first left line.
after start up of heat soaked engine. within 15 sec. temp gauge starts falling back to norm. within 30 or so sec. she'll be back to normal.

streetrods

Seaman

I have the same gauge.. Mine after the heat soaked start up will go up to the next to last or last hash mark and kind of holds there..Like I said I never really ran it much longer than probably 10 min at a time.. we were just going to and from hang out spots..

Cruised around at about 3k with 4 adults and 3 kids on board... Guess I need to go run it wide open for a bit and see what happens... Maybe i need to replace impeller.. Do you know what the normal temp is supposed to be? 170 or 180?

ziggy

Admiral

Maybe i need to replace impeller
a really good idea imho. i replace mine yearly. they always show some wear on them too.
IMG_5858.jpg

IMG_5856.jpg

there's three years of impellers. all maintaining a curve, all have cracks on the inside of the blades. the right one was run to almost overheat (like smoking) on low water flow on the hose. ya can see the damage on the leading edge of that one..
imho, alpha1 impellers are fragil and it's most important to have a good sea water pump for good flow to the engine. easy pm and imho very worthwhile to do. peace of mind.
Do you know what the normal temp is supposed to be? 170 or 180?
i don't know what the temp is supposed to be. but the raw water cooled version takes a 143*F tstat. that means it starts to open @ 143*F and is full open at 163*F. so i would think somewhere in that range would be normal operating temp.
i do wish these temp gauges had numbers. but alas, they don't, so we have to talk yellow, green, red, hash marks, etc. what i've shown is what is normal operating temp for my boat. it's been consistent over the years as to where the gauge reads.

edit. i use only mercuriser impellers, no aftermarket.

Last edited:

streetrods

Seaman

Thanks for the info ziggy... Is it a pretty straight foward job and how long does it usually take you? The mercruiser impeller you use does it come in a kit with gaskets or seals or just the impeller only?

ziggy

Admiral

Is it a pretty straight foward job
if ya've done a few, it is. if ya havn't, then it may cause troubles. when i first started doing these impeller replacements i opted to remove the lower only, leaving the upper on the boat. imho, it's horrible painfull to put the lower back on the upper with the upper still on the boat. the lower is heavy, awkward to hold onto + ya gotta hit the water tube, drive shaft splilnes and shift shat splines all at the same time. it's a 2 man job at best and even then is painful to do. that said. take the whole drive off. be sure it's in fwd when ya do. then ya can service the impeller with the lower on the bench or drive stand. if ya don't have a drive stand, make one. there's also plenty of pm to do with the whole drive off too. greaseing drive shaft splines, inspecting gimble brg., lubbing u joints, alignment inspecting, etc. + putting the lower on the upper with the drive on the bench is a one man job. ya mate back up on the first or second try, by yourself. with a drive stand removing the drive is also a one man job, off and on.
also inspect gear lub as it's draining. the first little bit for sure, looking for metal shavings or fragments + water intursion (milky colored gear lub).
how long does it usually take you?
don't know how long it takes me. all winter, :facepalm::rolleyes:. i remove the drive in fall and put it in my basement, then service at my leisure during winter lay up. i suppose a few hours??
be sure and follow the oem s/m. torque specs on the water pump housing are in inch pounds, not ft. pounds. the nuts and bolts that hold it on don't get torqued down very hard. like one is 15 in. lbs. hardly finger tight.
The mercruiser impeller you use does it come in a kit with gaskets or seals or just the impeller only?
i use mercury impeller replacement kit 47-89984T 5. it's got everything ya need. gaskets, orings, filler and vent screw seals, quad ring for the oil seal between upper and lower + the impeller...

streetrods

Seaman

Ok thanks for the info... I may do it or take it to my local shop and have him do it...

Would like to thank ziggy and renojim for all the help during my build.... : )

streetrods

Seaman

Ok so I had the impeller replaced..took it out and it did run cooler so I ran it at about 4000 for awhile and it spiked back up..stopped and checked it...It was at 160 and it was showing in the red on gauge... when it runs on low side of green it's around 100...

This week I pulled the thermostat housing.... it had some trash in it and t stat was all rusted up so I trashed it.. Went to the lake yesterday and cruised around at about 3200 and it never got out of the yellow so I should be good to go now.. Problem was both the impeller and t stat

boat 062.jpg

boat 059.jpg

ziggy

Admiral

t stat was all rusted up so I trashed it..
like in removed it w/o replacing it with a new one? running w/o a tstat?
cruised around at about 3200 and it never got out of the yellow so I should be good to go now
i don't think your engine isn't getting warm enough. the gauge should read into the green. like my pics.
i could be wrong. but from what i get, running w/o a tstat makes hot and cool spots within the engine. ft. may be cool, back may be to hot. the water don't circulate inside the engines water passages properly w/o the tstat in place. imho. i'd replace it with the proper one. $15 or so for a new merccruiser one if memory serves me. i replaced mine a couple years ago. spec is a 143*F tstat (assuming ya don't got a heat exchanger). it'll start to open at 143 and be full open @ +20*F (163*). this would be the temp range our engines run in.

again. great looking boat sr. and wow. ya even got the same drink holder bracket i got. (second pic). mine are mounted to the ft. for the driver and ft seat passenger... only thing i don't like about them is their not big enough to hold a normal coozy. which i get around by using a coozy that's thinner. even has my local boating store logo on them... or cups work well in them too. interesting. the cup holder bracket dates our boat...

Attachments

• 165 stamdard cooling sys.JPG
    165 stamdard cooling sys.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: