Anyone have experience w/ Sileather or any silicone based fabric?

Status
Not open for further replies.

altitude 411

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm re-upholstering my boat this winter and exploring vinyls vs silicone material. I haven't had the chance to see a interior done with Sileather. Has anyone here worked with this material or have it in their boat? I would really appreciate your feedback. Thanks

Last edited:

Wiread

Cadet
I realize this is slightly older, but I also came across Sileather while looking for something to redo the benches on a used pontoon we bought last fall. Really good shape overall with guts and motor, horrible seats. Anyway, I contacted the company and they sent me a sample right out. Felt nice, so I ordered it and it got here in 3 days.

I am almost done reupholstering now and I'm a first timer. Have never tackled anything like this before. I am not sewing anything, it's all pull, pull, tuck and staple. So far so good. I haven't found it difficult to work with at all, but then I don't have anything to compare it to either as i've never done this before

It feels really nice, more like the higher end vinyls. has a soft feel to it. It is 100% silicon so won't have to worry about mold/mildew. One of the benches I made had some buildup of varnish that wasn't quite set when I started this. It rubbed right off easily from the fabric.

Wear ratings and crack ratings etc seemed to be on par or better than any vinyls I could get so I think it will hold up really well, but they aren't even on my boat yet so I can't tell you how they're performing. Price wise, it was more than your lower end vinyls you can get for 15-20 bucks, and slightly less than your 40 dollar vinyls per yard. It feels more like the high end ones. I really like how they feel with the softness, and I'm told they do not heat up as much as vinyl in the sun, but I can't comment on that until summer actually gets here. I'm looking forward to using them though.

This is one I just finished yesterday in my basement.

Attachments

• photo326002.jpg
    photo326002.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.