Anybody recently bought a SUV/Minivan? UPDATED!!!!!!!!!!!

rogerwa

Commander
Re: Anybody recently bought a SUV/Minivan? UPDATED!!!!!!!!!!!

A small point of interest is that the engine the Trailblazer and Envoy is an I6 and not a V6. Very highly rated engine..

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

Originally posted by efhenry:<br /> I wouldnt go with a Durango unless Dodge redesigned the front end and beefed it up. I have a Durango and that is the only problem I had with it. Its a 99 model and its had to have all the ball joints replaced twice....A-frame bushings once and several other things on the front suspension tightened or replaced.
That wouldn't be a 4WD Durango would it?<br />I heard about the excessive wear in the 4WD front ends, but didn't think that it applied to 2WD vehicles.

LadyFish

Admiral

Toyota Sequoia. Nuff said.

eeboater

Commander

Toyota Sequoia Limited MSRP: $41,605<br />Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited MSRP: $34,790<br /><br />Toyota Sequoia Limited Engine: 4.7L i-Force V8<br />Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Engine: 5.7L Hemi V8<br /><br />Toyota Sequoia Limited HP: 325<br />Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited MSRP: 330<br /><br />Toyota Sequoia Limited Towing Capacity: 6200<br />Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Towing Capacity: 7200<br /><br />No Contest.

JRJ

Commander

Sounds like some people are having better luck than we did with 3 Jeeps and 2 Dodges. Glad to hear it. If I want to cause trouble around here, I tell her I'm gonna go down and buy a Rubicon.

eeboater

Commander

Originally posted by JRJ:<br /> Sounds like some people are having better luck than we did with 3 Jeeps and 2 Dodges. Glad to hear it. If I want to cause trouble around here, I tell her I'm gonna go down and buy a Rubicon.
So, does that mean you had a good experience with your Jeeps and Dodges? or the contrary?<br /><br />Sean

JRJ

Commander

My Jeeps and Dodges had problems. I don't have a Jeep now, but I still have a '94 Dodge diesel that has been very good after early defects and recalls were corrected.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Sounds like lots of good ideas. I looked at a 03 Rodeo today. I loved it. The wife went to take a look later. She hated it, go figure. She wants something big, good on gas, comfortable, can tow 2 trailer houses at once, and wants to pay $39.95 a month. Eventually she'll figure out it doesn't work that way.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

She found her a Sequoia in Dallas. Looking at the prices EE put up earlier I am thinking its not that good of a deal. Its a 2003 and they want 30K, does that sound right? I ain't too fond of the looks but then again its her ride and not mine. Any opinions? Anyways here it is.<br /><br /><br /> Mr. Toyota of Dallas

heyttown

Chief Petty Officer

My 02 durango had front ball joints recall.......So I would say no they didnt fix them..according to the dealer 1 needed replaced...<br />The Dodge tranny problems are what concern me..<br /><br />Oh its a 4wd also.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

KB, Kelly Blue Book has it at $31,205.00 so the dealer is pretty close to that.<br />EDIT: KB, have her find out about warranty also. I see nothing mentioned about that.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Heytown, don't worry about the Dodge trany problems. They were addressed when they surfaced, and modifed late 2001. I pull stuff with my Ram1500 all the time with no problems, and they do come with an awesome tow package stock.<br />Dunno about the durangos or Jeeps ,as I didn't look at them very long before getting the Ram.<br /><br />Kind of On the subject, my truck DOES have an issue that is hard to live with on the superslab,and that's it's passing gearing!!<br />The Ram has an overdrive, and I think it's in the rear end, (like a split gear rear end), that shifts low at a touch of the gas. It's very anoying until you get used to it. I'm wondering if there is a 'program' that can kill that "feature". A chip setting maybee, that can be manipulated?

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer

Went through this about 2 years ago..<br /><br />Criteria - <br />tows 5,000<br />seats 5<br />4 wheel drive<br />anti lock brakes<br />interior room - i am 6,2 <br />price<br /><br />Minivans were out becuase of 5,000lb tow capacity and 4 wheel drive (astro could have been a contender)<br /><br />Honda pilot - toyota highlander OUT becuase of 3,500 tow capacity - although they were nice<br /><br />Jeep - price and interior room<br />Durango - price, interior room, mileage<br /><br />4 runner - interior room<br /><br />Quad cabs - 4 door pickups - were more money in general and they said that was because they had a low mfg rate with a high demand<br /><br />That took it down to <br />Chevy trailblazer<br />Ford explorer<br /><br />Went with the ford because we liked it and the price was better<br /><br />The explorer has had a few minor problems fixed under warranty.

ehenry

Commander

Dave, it is a 2 wheel drive Durango.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

KB- Just me and my honest opinion but, there isn't a mid-sized SUV made that I would consider hooking up to a livestock trailer. None what so ever.<br /><br />but, If you must do what the wife wants .. buy one and rip all four tires off and replace with a heavy duty sidewall tire.. then look at suspension upgrades.. then look at beefy transmission coolers.. then look at..<br /><br />You know what I mean. <br /><br />I understand fully that you don't drive like an 'idiot' when towing livestock but, there are some considerations to take before doing so with a vehicle thats got a smaller 'foot print' and has been designed for increased ride performance instead of pulling something..<br /><br />If you go with a mid-size - make a few upgrades to at least the tires and suspension -or- negotiate them into the deal.<br /><br />for what its worth ..just me.<br /><br />::EDIT ADD::<br /><br />one other thing .. get the largest powerplant you can too .. sub-sized engines stink and you'll wish you have more ponies under the hood than in the trailer. ;)

Kenneth Brown

Captain

On the way this morning to look at new Durangos. Hopefully today we will BUY something. I'm about ready for this to be over. When it is I can talk about it, how I am gonna put sway bars, lowering kit, towing package, etc. Sound familiar? :)

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Kenneth Brown:<br />I'm about ready for this to be over.
Dang, Ken! You sound like this has been goin on fer years! Seriously, don't know how long you been lookin but I never buy ANYTHING the first time I look at it. The reason is that impulse buying does more to ruin your experience than the product can rightfully be blamed for. If you find something you think you just gotta have, force yourself to wait 24-48 hours. If you still feel that way after waiting, then go for it!

gonfishn

Commander

I recently purchased a 2005 TrailBlazer ls series.<br />The LS series is longer and has a third seat if needed. Most of the time its down and could not believe the additional footage thats there.<br /><br />Most of the SUVs I been in(older Models) are pretty stiff on the comfort when drving..<br /><br />Its one of smoothess rides I have ever been in. As for power,She comes out of hole at a quick and when I have to kick it in she puts me back in the seat. <br /><br />The mileage factor of course suffers with this type of runner..But then, I would have went to a smaller version if it mattered..<br /><br />Barlow..You may have to ride in it this year when we are pulling this year at the homestead sooooo...be nice...

SpinnerBait_Nut

I will go ahead and throw this in here for what it's worth,<br /><br />Well, went out and put about 100 miles on my new Grand Cherokee yesterday and must say am pretty impressed with the overall vehicle.<br /><br />Good ride, good engine response, great handling in the country roads and according to the onboard computer averaged about 18.7 MPG.<br /><br />Awesome sound system. Shania was rocking yesterday. The Boston acoustics was doing a good job.<br /><br />The leather is nice with heated seats and lumbar support.<br /><br />Everything is pretty user friendly and in easy reach of the operator.<br /><br />The new tranny is slick.<br />While in drive, you can ratchet from right to left to downshift or upshift manually if you want or just leave it alone and it will do it on it's own.<br /><br />The 4.7 seems to have plenty power and no lag from a dead stop. Instant response. <br /><br />Standard towing capacity is 6500# but the limited is up to 7200#.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by Kenneth Brown:<br /> On the way this morning to look at new Durangos. Hopefully today we will BUY something.
KB, don't buy anything till you check with me.<br />Get your best deal and get a hold of me.<br />I can get the price beat by 2 or 3 K I bet.<br /><br />Email me at sbn@zoominternet.net<br />EDIT: And get it delivered to you.