Anybody recently bought a SUV/Minivan? UPDATED!!!!!!!!!!!

Kenneth Brown

Captain
We are looking at replacing our Montana. Its a 99 with 141,000 on her so its about time. We would like to get another Monatana or Venture (same creature) but need/want a little bit more "Umphh". We looked at Yukons but too much money for this poor boy. The Trailblazer is really too small for us. A Rodeo/Trooper is about the right size but I have no experiance with those. Any ideas? Good and bad opinions accepted on all makes.

NathanY

Commander
Re: Anybody recently bought a SUV/Minivan? UPDATED!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm pretty sure that the Rodeo is smaller than the TrailBlazer. I have a GMC Jimmy and my neighbor has a Rodeo, and they are about the same size, my Jimmy might be a little bigger inside, but his Rodeo sits higher.

JRJ

Commander

I use Edmunds and Consumer Reports to research vehicles. You'll get the good and bad from owners, plus the usual internet jive to sort out. I bought an '05 Highlander and am very pleased at 5000 miles. Good power and handeling but probably too small for a family. Enjoy whatever you buy.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

JRJ- Is this the 2 door version? We had seen a Highlander and it looked bigger than you describe. Our Montana is the extended version with 3 rows of seats, holds 6 adults easy, can fit 8 if necc. The boss wants to be able to pull the stock trailer which weighs about 1200 pounds empty, add two horses of about 1000 each and we are about 3500 total. Most all vehicles will list that they can pull 3500, I prefer it to list 5000 though. I still have my F250, she just ain't comfortable riding in the brown beast :(

JRJ

Commander

Its 4-doors, 4-WD, V6, 3 row seats for 7. Very nice runabout. 3500# tow rating, but I wouldn't. For horses and trailer, you'll want something bigger. Look at Sequoia and others of that size.

Twidget

Commander

Maybe a Durango? Im sort of Dodge centric though. :) <br /><br />Here is a site for a local DFW radio car show. The site has a lot of links for auto information. web page

rogerwa

Commander

The Duango is nice. I was looking at the Honda Pilot. Its bigger than it looks. I almost bought a Trailblazer EXT or Envoy XL (these are 7 seaters), but my wife wanted the Suburban..<br /><br />I read today that Jeep will be coming out with an extended Cherokee that seats 7.

KRS

Banned

Jeep Grand Cherokee Inline 6 cylinder 4.0L.... love it.

aspeck

Staff member

If the Yukon is too pricey, downsize to the Envoy with 3rd row seating. Still pricey, but not quite what the Yukon is.<br /><br />What ever you get, enjoy it! We certainly enjoy our Yukon and I will have a hard time, when the time comes, parting with it for a couple of reasons. First, my father ordered it and then passed away before it came in, so it was a very sentimental purchase. Secondly, it is a great ride with great pulling ability, so very comfortable, and although I am not getting 35 mpg, I do get 18 on the highway and about 16 'round town. Got 16 pulling the bass boat on vacation over the summer, which I was pleased with.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

If it's umph you want, take a test run in a Chebby Trail Blazer. Chebby has this kickants V6 that produces over 270HP !! I forget the exact rating, but that's scarey performance from a six banger! Wifey bought one, I drove it, and it has much 'ballage'. It suprized me.<br />Fuel economy is realtively poor due to all those HPs tho.<br />The turning radius will amaze you , the first time you park it in a tight parkin space too. It rurns on a dime.<br /> A link to some pics and a rant about an '02 model

gewf631

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by rogerwa:<br /> I was looking at the Honda Pilot. Its bigger than it looks.
Have had one for over 2 years, and love-it.<br />The rear-seat isn't the largest, but 2nd row in the newer models is adjustable fore/aft, so it's more accommodating. We average about 17mpg when towing our 18'.<br /><br />With Honda coming-out with a 4-door p/u truck (that'll tow 5000#), I see some real competition.

Stratosfied

Ensign

had a 93 explorer, a 95 explorer, and a 2000 expedition. Bought a 2004 4-runner with a v-6. I like it the best of any of them. Cannot beat the ride.

D

DJ

Maybe Explorer/Mountaineer? Seats seven and will easily tow over 5K#, when properly equipped.<br /><br />Lots of low mile used ones out there too.<br /><br />The 4.0L V-6 is more than adequate. The 4.6L V-8 is not needed to get to max tow rating.

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

Ditto on the Durango. I really like mine so far.(20,000 miles on a 2003 4.7 V8) For 2005 the maximum towing capacity ranges from 3650 lb on the SLT 2WD with 3.7-liter V6, to 8950 lb on 2WD models with the 5.7-liter V8. <br /><br />Dave

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Don't tow horses with a Highlander. I saw the results of a Jeep Cherokee, which weighed more than that Toyota, towing a horse trailer and it wasn't pretty. <br /><br />If your going to tow animals, get a vehicle with a decently long wheelbase and some mass.<br /><br />Good Luck,<br /><br />Jinx

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

Sister and BIL have a Durango with the Hemi. More OOMPH than they needed, as it turned out.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

If you are looking at Isuzus check out the Ascender. It's the same as the GMC Envoy except for the badge on the grille. Isuzus are going cheap right now due to thier stepping back from the US market for a while. (The Ascender would be able to get GM service). If your buying new I don't think you'll find a Trooper, they don't make 'em anymore. The Rodeo and Axiom are (very, very) nice but in my opinion the newest ones are dangerous vehicles. They have terribly powerful V6s (the Axiom has direct injection and 250hp) and the chassis and handling are outdated. Both are based on the Rodeo body on frame design which is what, 15 years old? I bought an Axiom last Summer because they're such a steal and man it was sweet but the back always wanted to pass the front at the worst possible times. I sold it six months later.

ehenry

Commander

I wouldnt go with a Durango unless Dodge redesigned the front end and beefed it up. I have a Durango and that is the only problem I had with it. Its a 99 model and its had to have all the ball joints replaced twice....A-frame bushings once and several other things on the front suspension tightened or replaced. OTher than that its been a fair vehicle.....wont own another one though.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Ken, we traded our '00 Montana on a '04 Toyota Sienna back in the Spring.<br /><br />The Montana developed a gremlin in the electrical system - that plus finding oil in the coolant. Both were common problems for many years - make sure GM has fixed these if you're considering another one.<br /><br />The Sienna is one great ride. Shares a chassis with one of the Lexus SUV's. It is not underpowered. I actually like driving it (yet, it's a minivan - go figure). Power doors both sides & power liftgate. Check it out.<br /><br />A word of caution, though: I used the Montana to tow my boat (around 2k lbs) no problem. But the Sienna doesn't have enough clearance. It tows okay, just don't go over any speed bumps.<br /><br />Loaded down with camping gear, people & boat, no lie, it's maybe 3 inches from the receiver to the street.

eeboater

Commander

Ken:<br /><br />You might want to talk to SBN. Or see this thread. I've had a 97 Grand Cherokee for the past 4 years and have NOT been dissapointed with it. If you are looking for power, the new GC comes with a Hemi. That should more than cover your "Umphh" issues.<br /><br />Sean