Any Pool Players here????

LadyFish

Admiral
Re: Any Pool Players here????

Although I never had my own personal cue, I'm not to shabby of a player myself, and I love to play. We had our own table for years, but I learned to play in my late teens starting with 9 ball and billiards. Rules were always call your shots and combo off your own in our neck of the woods for 8 ball. In the small town I grew up in the only hang out for us was the local pool hall. Then my Mom bought a bar and restaurant with a couple tables which I worked at a few years. Lots of time for practice and the oletimers were always willing to show me tips and tricks.<br /><br />I always enjoyed nonsuspecting so called 'sharks' butts. Minnisota aFats I'm not, but I can hold my own. :)

tylerin

Commander

I agree w/ PW2 that cues, tables, etc. don't mean to much but I've added a new set of fast rails and a super quick felt, and by the time the average guy gets use to it he's walking out the door, broke.

tylerin

Commander

Originally posted by gaugeguy:<br /> I suck at pool, wanna play?
Sure,,,, My table.. 9 Ball ;) Be aware of the CA-NH exchange rate

gaugeguy

Captain

Got plenty of dollars, why would I want to exchange them for Peso's :confused:

sangerwaker

Commander

Hey Ty, would that be Simonis 860? That is some sweet playing cloth. 9 Ball is my game, too.

tylerin

Commander

Sangerw it is. Its unbelievably fast cloth. The new rails make all the dif. in the world too

sangerwaker

Commander

All of the pool halls here use that same cloth. Awesome stuff. Totally grabs the english different that standard wool stuff. I'd like to add it to my table, just haven't done it yet.

SoulWinner

Commander

Can you guys recomend a good beginner cue. One with good shaft deflection for learning English? I can spend a few hundred, and could do one with extra shafts, or two cues, one for breaking, one for playing. Or I could use the one have now for breaking. It is one of the cheapy T2 titanium tipped graphite cues from WallyWorld.

Scooby

Seaman

I used to play alot in the Navy, enjoyed alot of free beers back then. My back is stiff as a board now but I still have the cue. Soulwinner - I used to get a magazine in the mail from "Mueller", I found the website at www.poolndarts.com they have a good selection of cues and darts if your into that. I had to start playing darts cause no one would play me pool for money anymore.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

hmmm GT150,<br />I won't play you pool for money, but darts could be another story.<br /><br />AK Chappy

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Me and the wife stink at pool too, once had a single game go on for and hour.<br /><br />But we like to play as much as we can. Wife always wants a pool table, just no room to put it.<br /><br />I honeslty prefer 9 ball, but wifey dont like it.<br /><br />When living in Thailand, all they had was the huge billiard tables. Very difficult. I always threatened to bring a jigsaw and cutout the pockets wider. :D <br /><br />Ken

sangerwaker

Commander

SW<br />Meucci makes a decent cue, I just don't personally care for the coated wrap. I also like the entry level Hueblers. Go to a nice pro shop and hit a few balls with some sticks. You need to figure out what you like. Every brand hits differently and has different balance points. Some are butt heavy, some are tip heavy. Again, figure out what you like. The hustler or sneaky pete cues can be nice, but never break with one. The wood to wood joint is weak and will crack.

SoulWinner

Commander

GT150, Sanger, thanks for the input. I have been to the Mueller web site, but I'm gonna go to the pool place in Pensacla to try a few cues before I make a purchase. I played with a $300 cue the other night, I don't remember the brand, it was nice a nd heavey the way I like, but the wieght was too far up on the cue for me. Cues that I played and liked were McDermott(sp?), Meucci, and I think a CueTech.<br /><br />Any of you guys planning a vaca on the Florida gulf coast, lets play a few games!

SoulWinner

Commander

Oh, BTW Lester, I have never seen a cue made with mahogany. I have seen them with all kinds of different colored inlays and stuff, but never mahogany. Sounds like a nice one.

brother chris

Commander

I have played pool most of my life, about 25 years I guess. <br />I have a "Canadian" cue weighing in at 21oz. <br />I have played in a league and my team and I were pretty good. <br />Not too many of my friends will play me at pool. I'm not bragging, but I am good at it. Sometimes you just have a game that sticks with you. I guess pool is my game. <br />But since I work nights, I never have time to go and play too much.<br />My dad had a 6'x12' snooker table. Man, if you can pocket balls on that, you would rock on any table.

11 footer

Lieutenant

We have a pool room in our basement with a regulation size brunswick table.<br /><br />It really dosn't get used much, I go on kicks, when I'll play every day for a week or so and then not touch a cue for 6 mounths.<br /><br />People who carry there own cues around usally suck. This guy my dad use to know came by the house one time when I was maybe ten or eleven, he saw the table and went out to his truck to get his cue, told us all about how often he plays. I beat him two out of three, he was steaming ;)

sangerwaker

Commander

Hey Ryan, wanna play some? I own 6 or seven cues and usually have three in my case when I go out to play, so I must REALLY suck. In your defense, it's always hard to beat someone on their own table.