Any Archers, archery hunters here?

FLATHEAD

Commander
Better put him out of his misery......
If he is still around I’d like to. Lot of EHD here in SE Pa. Wiping out a lot of deer. So far on our two properties we haven’t found any dead ones or that stench of dead deer when they die in numbers.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
If he is still around I’d like to. Lot of EHD here in SE Pa. Wiping out a lot of deer. So far on our two properties we haven’t found any dead ones or that stench of dead deer when they die in numbers.

EHD? Sounds worse than our CWD, chronic wasting disease.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
What is EHD? I hunt in MD and WV mainly but live in PA. We have been dealing with CWD a lot. Still in the quarantine counties where I hunt in WV.

FLATHEAD

Commander
What is EHD? I hunt in MD and WV mainly but live in PA. We have been dealing with CWD a lot. Still in the quarantine counties where I hunt in WV.

Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease.​

It shows up in years when there is a drought, and deer gather at water sources. The deer get bit by some kind of midge that lives in the mud. It effects the brain and nervous system. Deer are usually dead in about a week. Pockets of it are popping up here and there. A buddy found 6 dead deer last week.

Baylinerchuck

Commander

Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease.​

It shows up in years when there is a drought, and deer gather at water sources. The deer get bit by some kind of midge that lives in the mud. It effects the brain and nervous system. Deer are usually dead in about a week. Pockets of it are popping up here and there. A buddy found 6 dead deer last week.
That sounds nasty. It kills deer a lot faster than CWD does.

breekser

Cadet
I can relate. I love the meat as well. We make all our own sticks, jerky, hot dogs and sausage and make killer pastrami. If you’ve never made venison pastrami your missing out.
Teaching the grandsons to twist breakfast sausage.

View attachment 370465
Venison pastrami is so good. Started also making Hog burnt ends in the summer when hogs are running rampant 'round here - it's actually so good(but I gotta pace myself, otherwise I won't be able to fit into my pants anymore. Just grabbed some extra ammo from nearby hunting store , gonna see if I can get a nice deer this weekend(I've tried bowhunting couple of times, but it's just not for me sadly. I do admire folks that bowhunt though!)

Last edited:

FLATHEAD

Commander
Venison pastrami is so good. Started also making Hog burnt ends in the summer when hogs are running rampant 'round here - it's actually so good(but I gotta pace myself, otherwise I won't be able to fit into my pants anymore. Just grabbed some extra ammo from nearby hunting store , gonna see if I can get a nice deer this weekend(I've tried bowhunting couple of times, but it's just not for me sadly. I do admire folks that bowhunt though!)
We don’t have any wild hogs here. I have had wild hog meat from one a buddy shot down Florida. It was good.
I’ve sat with the bow a few times this season so far. It’s been slow, a few doe in range but I did not take a shot just yet. A couple more weeks and things should start getting interesting.
Good luck in the woods.

salvageyard saviour

Petty Officer 2nd Class
These old shoulders can't do a compound anymore. Love the crossbow! I only hunt from the ground and the shorter limbs are convenient.
Last spring while turkey hunting, this guy was fun to watch!
20200522_202304.jpg

this might have been him the fall before as a button.

20211030_180353.jpg

FLATHEAD

Commander
Does he only have one antler?
I think he had a little stub on the other side. If we weren’t a one buck state I would have shot him for the meat. We have quite a few younger bucks on that property and low numbers of doe. Would rather take him than a doe on that property.

FLATHEAD

Commander
Broke down and bought myself a new bow. The Elite Ritual was a damn fine bow , but was time for a change. I shot all the new 2023 flagship bows from all the manufacturers and settled on the Bowtech SS34. Thing is buttery smoot to draw, super quiet, holds on target well. I shoot it very well. The cams can be tuned without a press due to the new deadlock system.. It checked all the boxes for me. Thought I would never own a Bowtech due to being plauged with limb problems years ago. Is a great Bow.
A5BD473B-851A-4BF7-9854-711787426E95.jpeg844A0BAD-EB51-4F02-9CD1-2302C9BBF3A9.jpeg

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Been out there, no deer yet. Couldn’t get set up till last week. Did have a horny 4 point running around me yesterday, couldn’t get a shot as he was going nuts looking for the doe bleat I was using. Kind of comical watching him. Did have a nice 8 on the cam. Hope he comes in when Im there.

FLATHEAD

Commander
I’ve got one doe in the freezer so far. I passed on a couple small legal bucks.
This little fawn curled up and went to sleep right under my stand this morning.
IMG_5377.jpeg