ANOTHER WATER IN OIL QUESTION

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
UR learning!!!!!! I feel your pain as do most on this forum. Most of us have been THERE to one degree or another maintaining MCs. I sense that if you pull manifolds and heads and look for rust seeping through a crack or heads that you will find something. I suspect crappy heads since machinists will not flux. I have never seen anyone turning down labor fees $$$. That's troubling! I highly recommend after pulling heads to carefully examine for cracked cylinder walls or/and near lifter area. If not obvious, take heads to another machine shop and have fluxed or pressure tested. Just my 2 cents... Good luck!
this is after all of this was done, and motor not run yet. pr test shows leak so im trying to pinpoint it. . The machinist found the problem that he felt was contributing to the water intrusion problem and didnt want to do work that wasnt needed to save me wasted money in his opinion(40 yr experience). He visually inspected the heads as i did and were no signs of cracks in the usual places . ( were both aware visual isnt definitive , but he know **** about these we dont, hes the areas major machinist for all the marinas in the area Wilmington NC.) Very boat rich area as you can imagine. Thers always the chance he didnt want to check for cracks with magnaflux or pr test bec it would have eliminated him doing $300 worth of work vs 60, so who knows. Didnt seem like that kind of guy since he gave me 2 valves no charge but you never know. There is no definitive indication he was wrong yet. To be determined with the pressure test this weekend. cylinder walls are fine. no signs of craks in gally as stated before but can still be cracked in lower end although when motor was out i checked that area. Yes we've established there were signs of head gasket breach, all that was removed with milling of head and cleaning of block deck! we're way past that, there's still a leak and since the motor hasnt been run since the new head gaskets were installed i doubt that's the problem.

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Took heads off this am and it appears there's surface rust around all of the oil drain ports between the heads and block deck(prob from where i sprayed soapy water as i said in prev post).. So im thinking heads not sitting flush on deck. Looked like the gasket never touched in some places. That may be normal when the motor never got ran and no heat to activate gasket. Used carpenters square to it but it seemed true(.003). Ill have the machinist check it out tomorrow.

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I hate when people don't tell what the problem was or just ghost the thread, so the issue ultimately was ........ I wasn't aware you had to put this oil based adhesive sealer on deck and heads/ gaskets. Now holding 15 psi for 1 hr so far. No audible air leaks either.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I hate when people don't tell what the problem was or just ghost the thread, so the issue ultimately was ........ I wasn't aware you had to put this oil based adhesive sealer on deck and heads/ gaskets. Now holding 15 psi for 1 hr so far. No audible air leaks either.
I have never heard that, ever. Dry has always been the method I used..... where did you see that instruction?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Agreeing with Rick I used Fel Pro head gaskets when I did mine 4 years ago and no sealer you just have to get the surfaces REALLY clean. I did use some Permatex Aviation sealer on the intake gaskets due to some minor pitting on the old intake manifold and also it helps hold it in place while installing the intake (pre vortec does not have the locator holes in the head to hold the gasket like the vortec does).

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Manual specifically states not to use sealer on composite gaskets.

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Manual specifically states not to use sealer on composite gaskets.
Mercruiser mechanics with 80 years combined experience says otherwise and it worked. I've never done it on any other vehicle including this engine with no problem buuut. And yes the block deck and heads are true. 🤷🏻

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Mercruiser mechanics with 80 years combined experience says otherwise and it worked. I've never done it on any other vehicle including this engine with no problem buuut. And yes the block deck and heads are true. 🤷🏻
Old mechanic. Glad you're running.