ANOTHER WATER IN OIL QUESTION

Scott06

Vice Admiral
It definitely would have shown a bad head gasket (bec it was compromised in a couple spots)

when i did the pressure test of the cooling system I heard significant air in cylinder 2 spark plug hole and less in #4, not the valve covers or from dip stick
That implies head gasket between those two adjacent cylinders is bad.

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Attachments

• 54B2FD4D-44E6-4A6F-93AD-F98B416270C4.jpeg
    54B2FD4D-44E6-4A6F-93AD-F98B416270C4.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • 81AE31CC-20D6-4FCD-BF9F-221A02686E14.jpeg
    81AE31CC-20D6-4FCD-BF9F-221A02686E14.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 0129E3A7-1321-495B-95BE-F19B0A6F4650.jpeg
    0129E3A7-1321-495B-95BE-F19B0A6F4650.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
  • B2A965BC-6463-49DF-9060-9A7F9D96046A.jpeg
    B2A965BC-6463-49DF-9060-9A7F9D96046A.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 10

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok heads and intake back on . pressurized coolant system and its now hissing coming from rear port side head . If i put finger over upper most hole in back of head the sound will change.

not intake. not starboard anywhere, not dip stick.

i would think this would mean crack in head (that machinist assured me wasnt cracked)or warped block mating surface. (No i didn't check it)

remember new head gaskets all torqued properly in sequence

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Without pressure testing there is no way to test a head or block for internal cracks. It is the risk, always, with a possible crack. Magnafluxing can only find something you can see.

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Without pressure testing there is no way to test a head or block for internal cracks. It is the risk, always, with a possible crack. Magnafluxing can only find something you can see.
I pressure tested an am hearing a leak that seems like in rear port side head . I'm trying to narrow down the problem. If possible. Nothing from intake manifold or dip stick does this indicate the head is cracked?

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
No cracks in the heads but The fairly new (maybe 5 hours on them) Marine head gaskets on same side was burnt and obviously shredded in a couple small spots. Seemed to happen right after putting in 93 octane and hearing pinging with WOT( advance timing i found after rechecking with light) (i usually run 89, im cheap, but i think the combination of advanced timing and higher octane may have been bad news for this situation).
Could the combination of the head gasket failure and tuliped valves allow water into the sump /oil pan very quickly while running on muffs?
Maybe timing.... Was timing set too high and caused valve issue. I purchased a Proline whose former owner didn't have distributor tightened and it (possibly through vibrations) eventually caused it to turn the wrong way and advanced too much. Nothing but headaches.... I am hoping MC TB 5 with knock sensor will minimize this from happening again. I feel your pain!

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Maybe timing.... Was timing set too high and caused valve issue. I purchased a Proline whose former owner didn't have distributor tightened and it (possibly through vibrations) eventually caused it to turn the wrong way and advanced too much. Nothing but headaches.... I am hoping MC TB 5 with knock sensor will minimize this from happening again. I feel your pain!
Yes the gasket and valves got cooked from advanced timing.. were past that. now working on finding leak in cooling system.

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
all cylinders within 5% in compression. gauge said 150-155. Cheap Napa gauge. so its prob not that high.

would a leak down help at this point to further rule out or pinpoint the issue?

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Yes the gasket and valves got cooked from advanced timing.. were past that. now working on finding leak in cooling system.
Maybe not... Proline also had crummy hatches that leaked or dripped rain water into carb's vents to valve covers and white crap was all inside covers. Murphy's laws always win! Weird, but it happened.

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Maybe not... Proline also had crummy hatches that leaked or dripped rain water into carb's vents to valve covers and white crap was all inside covers. Murphy's laws always win! Weird, but it happened.
The gasket was cooked. See pics above. I have a leak in the cooling system now I'm trying to pinpoint. 2 different problems. One is fixed. Thanks

Scott06

Vice Admiral
The gasket was cooked. See pics above. I have a leak in the cooling system now I'm trying to pinpoint. 2 different problems. One is fixed. Thanks
When you say you put your finger over plug on back of head where is it ? Is there a core plug on back of head that leaks ?

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When pressurized with 15 psi, there is air coming out of the oil drain hole in back of head that when i put finger over it the sound changes and definitely air coming from there and also just discovered the same air sound coming from front starboard side oil drain hole in head

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Put intake manifold back on and pressure tested again this time the same air sound is still coming from the rear of the Port side, head oil drain port and from the SB side front head oil drain port.
Im assuming, Being that theres air from both sides either theres a crack in both head( in exact same spot but opposite end) or in the block( damn Occams).
So why no air sound from the dipstick hole, distributor or the other oil drain ports in the heads?

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I pressure tested an am hearing a leak that seems like in rear port side head . I'm trying to narrow down the problem. If possible. Nothing from intake manifold or dip stick does this indicate the head is cracked?
Sorry more specifically referring to pr testing the whole system again not with the heads specifically.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Put intake manifold back on and pressure tested again this time the same air sound is still coming from the rear of the Port side, head oil drain port and from the SB side front head oil drain port.
Im assuming, Being that theres air from both sides either theres a crack in both head( in exact same spot but opposite end) or in the block( damn Occams).
So why no air sound from the dipstick hole, distributor or the other oil drain ports in the heads?
I wonder if you can add a bit of a thin detergent and see if you can get bubbles to form. I can feel for you on the symptoms being just diverse enough to make you question the conclusions. And I don't know how to answer them without guessing. Your problem is how to prove the block isn't cracked as well.... wish I knew. Short of bolting down a known good set of heads.

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I wonder if you can add a bit of a thin detergent and see if you can get bubbles to form. I can feel for you on the symptoms being just diverse enough to make you question the conclusions. And I don't know how to answer them without guessing. Your problem is how to prove the block isn't cracked as well.... wish I knew. Short of bolting down a known good set of heads.
Im betting since that its both heads in the same spot (if you set them side by side its the same spot) its probably the block.??

Big mystery to me is why only air coming from those two oil drain holes in the heads and not all of them

Attachments

• heads.png
    heads.png
    47.2 KB · Views: 5

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The big question is ....

is the air coming from the head into the oil drain port ( would have to be a crack in both heads in the exact exhaust port , no?)

OR
Is the air coming from the galley( no obvious cracks visible)/ bottom end of engine meaning block is cracked?

or am I missing something or not understanding how the cooling passages run?

Last edited: