Another pit-bull tragedy!

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral
Re: Another pit-bull tragedy!

Fella I used to know had a cat. It never killed or attacked anyone that I know of, but if any dogs cornered it, it'd start killing dogs. It was a semi-tame bobcat. Couldn't hold it, but it'd curl up next to the fireplace at nap time.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by JB:<br /> I am not so sure that pit bulls are more likely to attack.<br /><br />I do believe that they are more likely to do serious injury if they do attack, and I am sure that the media will raise a scandal about, and exaggerate every pit bull attack and ignore many by dogs with better reputations.
In general, have to disagree with you on that JB. Dogs are bred to have certain characteristics; too many pits have been bred by too many a****les for fighting and aggression. German Shepards have been bred for protection and things like police work. Of course that is a generalization, and I'm sure there are many INDIVIDUAL dogs that act against breed type, both positively and negatively. <br /><br />I think the key to safety with the more aggressive breeds lies in how they are socialized and trained. And that starts at about 10-12 weeks of age and requires a KNOWLEDGABLE owner/ trainer to ensure that some ot the potentially negative inbred characteristics are controlled. <br /><br />Unfortunately, I suspect the proportion of owners with the knowledge to do this correctly is extremely small. Not as big a deal in general with a golden retreiver, potentially deadly with a pit bull (especially if there is more than one involved and a pack mentality takes over).

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

I thought it would be better to add this to an existing thread rather than start my own on the subject.<br /><br />SICKENING IMAGES IN LINK BELOW<br /><br /> The "Pitbull Problem"

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by mrbscott19:<br /> I thought it would be better to add this to an existing thread rather than start my own on the subject.<br /><br />SICKENING IMAGES IN LINK BELOW<br /><br /> The "Pitbull Problem"
That is a pretty good video and tells a story not only about that breed, but most breeds are treated this way by bad owners.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Yes those 5 year olds are sure a threat. MUZZLE.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Disposition is an attribute of breeding; some breeds are genetically predisposed to fight. All dogs are territorial will threaten then back off if the offender backs off. Seems like pit bulls commit early to go all the way, don't stop till the enemy is dead and maybe not even then. I'm not sure that trait can be overcome with training. German shepards, dobermans (dobermen?), rottweilers, other breeds, can be trained to stop an attack on command. Can pit bulls? not sure. and like lakelivin says any given individual could be different.<br /><br />Had a dachsund once that was pretty patient with small children but when she had enough tail-pulling or whatever, she would lash out with her teeth clenched. Couple times kids swore they got bit but there was nary a tooth mark on the spot. Managed to convince 'em they just got "lipped."<br /><br />to carpy: thanks for holding back on killing dogs with collars; if my dog ever slips his collar & wanders into your yard I'll be sad to see him go but I'll take the blame.<br /><br />and JasonJ, do you try to determine if a dog is friendly before you crack it in the head? not critical, just curious, I know you gotta do what you gotta do.

gaugeguy

Captain

I tend to believe bad breeding and poor upbringing have a lot to do with it as well. I have 2 friends with pit bulls and they are great dogs, but I still wouldn't trust my kids around them cause I have it in the back of my mind that they could just "snap". Haven't seen any evidence from those two dogs that would suggest that, guess it has just been instilled by the bad press they get.<br /><br />I did hear a funny on the radio the other day after another PB mauling. They were calling the owners "rednecks" and they said...<br />"I'll git rid of my pit-bull Brutus when they pry his cold, dead jaws off my young-uns face"

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

When they've been treated like that, any human is a threat. There's also breeding to take into consideration. I'd bet 75% of people that buy dogs don't have a clue about bloodlines, temperment, etc. All they want is a cheap, cute puppy. And it's the same for all dogs, Pit's just have the ability to do more damage, thats why you hear about them more. Nevermind that they inflict that damage less often than 96 other breeds of dog.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have raised German Shepards, Rotweillers for a long time, yes, raised, breed and sold.<br /><br />But, But, I also had their pedigree, like our family tree, to each one.<br /><br />When you register them with the AKC to get papers, it's a no brainer to have these for potenial buyers when they come by or call.<br /><br />It's a good selling point to have.<br /><br />Now back to the subject.<br />Did not want to say much, so I will say this and quit.<br /><br />99% of your bad pets can be traced back to "bad" owners, either through mis-treatment, not knowing what or how to raise one, or being mis-treated by other dogs the owner might have.<br /><br />Sure pits have great jaw strength, but Last Chance can crush a tennis ball with one bite.<br />I don't mean just bite through it, it will be in 2 pieces.<br /><br />It all has to do with dog ownership.<br /><br />Ok, I'm done.

KRS

Banned

1) drive to mcdonalds<br /><br />2) purchase a bag of cheeseburgers<br /><br />3) throw them in the street in front of the dog's house<br /><br />4) wait for the proper moment, then FLOOR it<br /><br />5) IF you think you hit something, better put it in reverse to be sure...

Carphunter

Commander

I can't say that I single out pitbulls over any other breed. I'm a little leary of most dogs. I've had cats my whole life, and occasionally, one of those cats would do something totally unexpected. I'm sure the same could be said of dogs. I have a beagle, and I wouldn't dream that he would ever hurt anyone, but he stays in his pen most of the time. In any case where a dog mauls or kills a human, the owners of this dog should be held totally accountable. <br />I think care should be taken around any animal that has the jaw crushing power of a pitbull. They are animals. They're just doing what they do. If treated correctly, i'm sure most of 'em would be ok, but Take the Sigfried(sp) and Roy fella, i'm sure his pet tiger was treated well, and the dang thing nearly killed him. They're animals, and they can be unpredictable.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

add some anti-freeze to the cheese burgers as well to make sure. Nope, I do not care for breeds known to be unstable. Sorry.

SoulWinner

Commander

MrBscott, Thank you for that link. That was a very powerful flash presentation. Most of you probably don't know it, but Roy Jones Jr., the boxer, has a big arena at his mansion (Just down the road from me) where he and his gang banger buds fight chickens and pit bulls. He is beyond the law here because of his celeb status. Personally, I say put me in the ring with dog fighting sissy, bare knuckled, and I'd permanently damage that POS.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

You can't train the "pitbull" out of a pitbull anymore than you can train the "coyote" out of a coyote, or the "wolf" out of a wolf...that's the facts...Chief

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by SoulWinner:<br />I say put me in the ring with dog fighting sissy, bare knuckled, and I'd permanently damage that POS.
I dunno SW, RJJr is one tough dude that punches people out for a living. Why not just shoot him with that new Ruger the Mrs' has?

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

Soulwinner.... just go down to Roy's house and ring the bell and challenge him.. teach him a lesson.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Hmmm. I like the way the video talks about "bite" statistics. I dont dispute them.<br /><br />I would like yall to research on Pit bull "death" statistics. Pit bulls lead every breed by a wide margin.<br /><br />The main factor is their jaw strength. They can more easily kill something than any other dog.<br /><br />Ken

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Fish, you have top feeders and bottom feeders. Each fish species has a characteristic that adapts them to their life cycle.<br /><br />Dogs can be the same way. Some dogs are naturally born swimmers and some are natural watch dogs. Each species has its own traits.<br /><br />The pit bulls trait is the ability to have strong jaws with the ability to lock them into place. Yes other dogs bite, but do they inflict the damage a pit does. <br /><br />A pit raised in a good home, never abused and treated the best is still a risk for those that are not part of its family. Sorry, but I say if you own a pit, you have a liability. There are people doing lifetime sentenaces for deaths caused by their pit.<br /><br />Take an example, you live with a woman for 30 years and you think you really know her until she hands you diviorce papers. Anything with a brain is unpredictiable.

SoulWinner

Commander

Hee hee heee, yeah, guys talk sh*t to Roy all the time, he doesn't respond. I never thought he was a good fighter. He really isn't a fighter at all, he just jabs and runs away. I honestly think I cold take him, fighting on the inside, street fighting, not boxing. I do admit though that if he landed a solid blow to my noggin it would be all over. <br /><br />Anyhoo, back to puppies. Here in the south, Pit Bulls have been bread and in-bread for the purpose of fighting, and they are nutty. I have seen a few breeders who breed lovable Pits, but most of the dogs I have had experience with were just plain nuts. They were crazy acting, and had a vacant look in thier eyes. Very sad, because know that were bread to be that way.

Booner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Owning a pit bull for most people is a status thing it's like having a bad a$$ car or having a tuff guy image. I think Pit Bulls are a worthless breed of dog. If a dog don't point birds or retrieve ducks I won't keep em they go to someone that wants a family pet after I have the Vet neuter or spaded the dog. Don't need to pass on an undesirable gene pool. Instinct is breed into canines. I.e. Pointing Dogs with sight point at around 6-8 weeks old and Retrieving Dogs will retrieve after objects at about the same time 6-8 weeks. That’s instinct. The instinct that was breed into Pit Bulls is to fight. That’s what their instinct is telling them to do. If a child was playing or running close to a Pit Bull that could trigger the attack instinct. The owners are responsible and need to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Then take the owners to the VET and have them neutered or spaded as they may pass on undesirable genes to their of spring.