Another pit-bull tragedy!

Drowned Rat

Captain
It appears this young girl was attacked and killed in her own yard. This makes me so mad I can't see straight. The dog owners will probably try to play it off like it was the girl's fault. :mad: I'll update the thread when more information is available. When will people learn? I guess they have to care first.<br /><br /> web page

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Another pit-bull tragedy!

As the parent of a 5-year-old little girl, that is devastating. I can't imagine having my little girl's life snatched by some irresponsible pet owner's dog. Less than 1/4 mile away on our dirt road, one of our neighbor's owns an acre of land. He doesn't officially live on the land; however, he does have a 5' chicken wire fence surrounding his property along with a large shed in the middle. He has about 10 german shepherds than run free in the fenced in yard. My kids won't ride their bike in front of the yard. The entire "pack" runs up and down the fence line barking and snarling. The dogs have gotten out a few times and roamed the neighborhood. I call the sheriff each time it happens. I don't care if my neighbor doesn't like me. My family's protection is worth alienating a neighbor. If the dogs go in my yard and show any signs of aggresion, I will shoot them.<br /><br />Here is my little girl at a Christmas party on Sunday night. She was "Mary" in the play.<br /><br /> picture

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Man that sends shivers down my spine.<br /><br />If this would happen to me and I was around, the dogs would have all been dead, and the owner would have been next.<br /><br />Unless the little girl let them out, there is no excuse!<br />*************************************************<br />I went to knock on a guys door last week and in a pen he had the most viscious dog I have ever seen. It was some kind of chow mix thing. It was completely out of control barking and growling. It even tried to bite its way throught the chain link fence.<br /><br />I have no doubt had it gotten out, it would have bit the heck out of me.<br /><br />I have no idea why anyone keeps a dog like that. Its useless for protection cause it was locked up.<br /><br /><br />Ken

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Like any breed, pit bulls can be made gentle or vicious by their treatment. <br /><br />Unfortunately, even a gentle dog can have a moment of viciousness when genes over-rule training. A vicious pit bull is far more dangerous than almost any other breed. . . .they were bred to fight and kill!<br /><br />A late neighbor (passed on as a victim of some mysterious white powder he kept inhaling) lost his beloved pit bull when it got vicious with the wrong DEA guy.

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Criminally, it sounds like a good involuntary manslaughter case, at the least, not to mention the civil liability. :mad: <br /><br />The family's devastating loss is another story. :( <br /><br />...Bob in Calif...

Drowned Rat

Captain

Like any breed, pit bulls can be made gentle or vicious by their treatment.
I would generally agree with you, JB. But why do pit-bulls seem to be the culprit in so many of these attacks. I don't think it has anything to do with the dog being more lethal than another breed. I think it has to do with the dog's hair trigger mentality and I don't think it's necessarily possible to train that instinct out of the dog. That is not to say there aren't plenty of friendly well cared for pit bulls out there, but dang it, our kids have enough threats to their safety in this world without worrying about the neighbors killer dogs.

one more cast

Captain

If these dogs can be made gentle or mean then the owner should be facing murder charges. I parked my truck at a convenient store a week or so ago and the car next to me had the back window down about 8 inches. I paid no attention to it until I got out of my truck and this rottwiler(sp) almost got my arm. I hate to think what could have happened if a little kid walked close to that car.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I think pit bulls kill so much because so many people teach them to fight. The "cool mean dog" factor. Nothing looks more "bada$$" than a pit bull. I know not all owners are this way, but certainly more "bada$$" owners than with any other breed.<br /><br />Couple that with the fact that they can easily kill with their jaw strength, and you have a recepie for disaster.<br /><br />Ken

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I have known people with pitbulls that were the nicest dogs, but unfortunately I also have known far more people who had pitbulls that were horrible. These are the people who either just neglect the dog, abuse it, or train it to be mean. Any dog will turn bad if abused or neglected, but pitbulls make better headlines, so they get more negative attention. <br /><br />On my job I carry one of those large rechargeable Mag-lites, and I would have no qualms about cracking a dogs head. Of all the dogs I have had to deal with, only two ever got "frisky". One was a raggedy black mutt that I managed to get back to my truck before he got me. The other was a small bulldog crossbreed thing that jumped up and bit my thumb. <br /><br />I have been to many houses with rots and dobies and german shepards and they have all been good dogs. Our policy now is that homeowners need to have their dog secured away from the house or we won't service it. When the customer balks, I remind them that I am within my rights to utilize my Mag-lite as I see fit to defend myself from a percieved threat, and they get real understanding real quick. They should be glad I don't carry my ASP (collapseable baton). That thing would kill a dog quick. I place 100% of the blame on the owner of any dog that injures someone....

JB

I am not so sure that pit bulls are more likely to attack.<br /><br />I do believe that they are more likely to do serious injury if they do attack, and I am sure that the media will raise a scandal about, and exaggerate every pit bull attack and ignore many by dogs with better reputations.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Bet the owner wears his ball cap sideways. Real image plus owning a Pit Bull for gang bangers. Now a life is taken. That truly sticks. :mad: :mad: :mad:

FSHKPR

Ensign

yeah i dont like them pit bulls either. my son has one that he just bred and came over the other day with a puppy. they sure are cute when little and i had a good time playing with it. he says dad if you want that puppy you can have it. well if it had been a lab or a golden i think i might have messed up and accepted. but knowing what that cute little puppy will grow into i did not even hesitate to say no thank you. my golden retriever is on his leg (14 years old) and we have already decided thats it for dogs.

JasonB

Lieutenant

There was a story on the local radio this morning of a Pit biting a little girl. Her grandfater got the dog off before it did major damage, but she now must go through rabies treatment since the owner had let the dog's shots get out of date. The dog has been taken by authorities and will be destroyed.

Carphunter

Commander

I know many people here dislike me for what I have stated here before on this subject, but if a dog wanders on my property, and I see no collar, its dead. There are many strays buried in my woods. The risk is to great to my little boys to ignore. And I don't feel bad about it either.<br />I have a beagle that is kept in a pen, like most dogs should be. Irresponible dog owners should be held accountable in an instance like this. The owners should be charged with murder. Its a travesty!<br /><br />Now you know why I prefer cats. You don't here of any vicious cats killing innocent kids, now do ya.<br /><br />This is just terrible. :(

KaGee

Admiral

Seems to me that the authorities in this instance are somewhat culpable. These dogs are like TNT waiting for the fuse to be lit. They should have been impounded earlier after they attacked the neighbor dog. That incident was an alarm set off that everyone... especially the owner chose to ignore.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I don't have a problem with Carps technique of dealing with strays. If left alone, they end up in packs, and can eventually go wild, causing even more problems. My opinion is that if a person does not care enough to keep their dog properly licensed and secured on their property, they lose the right to complain if their dog ends up burried in Carphunters back 40. I would do the same thing if I lived on acreage and had strays cruising through. Poeple do it all the time up here....

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by Carphunter:<br />Now you know why I prefer cats. You don't here of any vicious cats killing innocent kids, now do ya.
Don't know Carpy, this one could get mean I bet.<br />
overgrown-cat-2.JPG
:eek: :eek:

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

If that's real, Holy Crap SBN. Put that thing down and slowly step away. No quick movements, he'll toss you around like a toy mouse.