ANIMALS!

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: ANIMALS!

CNN News Alert - New Orleans hospital halts patient evacuations after coming under sniper fire, a doctor who witnessed the incident says.

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dave, help is on the way. National Guardsmen are either there or currently on the way from all over the country. I don't know the exact numbers but I do know that 1500 Ohio Guardsmen left from here this morning and I would imagine that they have arrived by now and are getting ready to take care of business, as well as all the other Guard Units. Thanks for the kind words, BTW!

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by KenImpZoom:<br /> Cnn Nes Alert - New Orleans hospital halts patient evacuations after coming under sniper fire, a doctor who witnessed the incident says.
Unfrickinbelievable. I don't know what else to say.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

This was NOT an unforeseen event like the tsunami, we knew it was coming and how devastating a storm it was. If you chose to stay you took your future into your own hands. If there was no means for you to evacuate that’s another issue. One that needs to be addressed before the "next time". As stated earlier, the cost of evacuation prior to the storm is nothing compared to the cost of search and rescue. Excluding the toll in loss of life, how many millions, or billions could have been saved. As for those who chose to stay and then take advantage of the situation, there is a special place in he11 for them and the sooner they take it the better.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by ae708:<br /> There are people who will steal just because the opportunity is there. They don't steal for food or something that they desperately need... they steal because they are low-down, dirty dog theives and they should be shot dead wherever they are found.
We are way beyond stealing here. We're talking shooting at the boats trying to Evac folks. We're talking about snipers taking pot shots at the hospitals. We're talking about helocopters taking bullet hits from the ground. And we're not talking single random acts by a crazy person.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

I can't imagine any reason that snipers would be doing something like this. As a semi-rational person this is beyond comprehension to me. No sane person would do something like that.

SCO

Lieutenant

Some people love to "ride out" hurricanes. Ive known a few, and they had enough means. They will all claim that they didn't have means to leave and we'll give them the benefit of the doubt and even take the blame. No doubt a lot of people didnt have means. I bet the vast majority could have left but chose not to. I bet a big hunk stayed just for the looting opportunity. A large percentage of a population that has no problem stealing and robbing, shooting at rescue helicopters. That's amazing.

mike5097

Cadet

I think this shows what American civilization has become. It reminds me of a bad Kurt Russel movie. So much for the one world-can't we just all get along-let me buy you a coke-have a lifesaver theories. A lot of warm fuzzies, but this is reality staring us in the face. This has totally convinced me to listen to all those people that go on and on about emergency supplies, self reliance, and their total disbelief that government could and would do anything to help until after it's too late. Kind of shakes my faith in mankind.

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mike, there is a MASSIVE humanitarian effort underway right this minute. That strengthens my faith in mankind. Also, do you think that the thugs toting AK-47s down there were normal every day citizens? Hell no, those guys are the same gangbangers that have been a pain in the side of N.O. for a long time. American civilization is just fine, we're just seeing the scumbags out in the open for what they are.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Wasn't marshal law put into effect? Doesn't that mean that those idiots can be shot on the spot? It is ashame that such a few can make it so bad on so many. :(

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

EricDC is right. These idiots are just running rampant as there is no police. These are the same idiots that did drive bys and other crimes.<br /><br />It only takes 5-10 people to create this much chaos.<br /><br />Ken

salty87

Commander

..and the media feeds on that. there are thousands of people making us all proud, just aren't any cameras to catch it.

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

I heard this morning that Marshal Law isn't actually on the books in LA but I can't find anything to confirm it. Either way I'm waiting for a breaking news story that says something like, "A group of armed men were shot to death by the National Guard," etc.

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

My apologies, it's Martial not Marshal. Here's what I was looking for:<br /><br /><br />Martial Law in New Orleans<br />Civil Liberties Blog<br />« Executing Your Freedom | Main<br /><br /> From Andrew Somers,<br />Your Guide to Civil Liberties.<br />FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now! <br /><br />August 30, 2005<br />Martial Law in New Orleans<br />It has been widely reported that state officials have declared martial law in New Orleans, as the emergency there worsens. However, I recently confirmed with the Governor's office of the State of Louisiana that Governor Kathleen Blanco has not declared martial law. <br /><br />It would appear that local officials have misused the term, though I have not been able to find the source of the statement. This quickly filtered through the media. (It is more likely that local officials declared a curfew, which gives police probable cause to stop anyone for any reason.) <br /><br />Just what is martial law, and what are the implications to civil liberties? <br /><br />Martial law means a military authority has taken control of the normal administration of justice. Martial law may be used in times of emergency, when the traditional infrastructure (police, fire, etc.) are incapable of meeting the demands of the crisis. <br /><br />Martial law is also used by totalitarian regimes on a more permanent basis for the enforcement of their rule. It is this form of martial law, where military tribunals replace civilian courts, that the civil libertarian is most concerned with. <br /><br />The extent that martial law is imposed varies from nation to nation. In the United States, the 1866 Supreme Court ruling in Ex Parte Milligan limited martial law. This ruling bars the use of military tribunals on civilians, and that habeas corpus may only be temporarily suspended if civilian courts are forced closed. And even then, citizens may only be held without charges, and not tried. <br /><br />Anytime we come under martial law, it is a concern - for one thing, military personnel are trained more for battle and not for law enforcement, and as such the potential for abuse or poor judgment is very real. (Thoughts of Kent State come to mind). <br /><br />In the present example of the situation in New Orleans, it appears that the emergency warrants a temporary, limited martial law. With that said, I extend best wishes to all in the region that they get through this storm alright.<br /><br /><br />Just wanted to get all the facts straight. Bunch of annoying legal crap if you ask me but there it is.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by salty87:<br /> flights into town were cancelled on saturday so no more tourists were brought in. nobody thought about the fact that planes couldn't be used to even get tourists out!<br />
Ever seen an airplane that sat through a hurricane? No, because it would be an unrecognizeable hunk of trash.

GrandLarsony

Cadet

Why all this concern with Marital law?<br /><br />My wife is definitely in charge. And she always shoots to kill.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Aw come on guys. Give the looters a break. If we could just understand them a little more. I'm sure it's not really their fault. They were probably mis-understood by the village when they grew up. We should try to reason with them and maybe they'd change their ways and quit looting and shooting.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

hey everbody, boomyal has a sensitive side! you oughta explore that aspect of your personality more often, boom!

ebbtide176

Commander

lol at boomyall<br />heez right ya know. i'm just totally let down by the fact that the honorable reverend jesse hasn't flown down there right away to give out flyers on how to write the governor and lodge a complaint.<br /><br />its gotta be due to the environment they've been forced to live through. i know those looters only brandish weapons because they don't know any better. <br /><br />we all should be driving right over there to march through the closest town and protest the inhumane conditions they're experiencing. <br /><br />but i bet as soon as the NG corners them all, they'll be laying down their weapons and pleading temporary insanity. we might get some more TV time with johnny cochran over this.<br /><br />"misunderstood by the village" LOL you mean like idiot huh :D