And Away We Go, Restarting The Rebuild

wooky30014

Petty Officer 1st Class
Late to the Partay :laugh: partay iz juss beginnin' :cool: I'm trying to do my rookie best work here (OCD helps some :D) No, she's a 19 foot runabout, a rather rare Byrd from what I've read about these boats and on another forum there was a question about the year, I was told by the guy that sold it to me that she's a '72 model, dunno :noidea: doesn't really matter that much. I've got to slow down on her juss a wee bit, one it's juss so H O T and humid outside it takes your breath away and two, found out I got a broke toe :facepalm: yeah happened as I was gettin' IN her and due to damp grass, shoe got wet, slipped off a step on me stepladder :stupid: At least the "hard part" is done, doing the band around the gunnel should be easier and readying the cap to put back on should be healed up and cooler outside (hopefully) by then

Yeah the end result is what I'm looking forward to as I remember the smooth ride, even hitting wakes of other boats she just sliced through and never even slowed down. She'll have a small cuddy I'm gonna build to fit a windshield and hard top I acquired so we can fish in the shade and have a place to stretch out if we want to

wooky30014

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well boys and girls, I'm back at working some on Riff Raft. Slightly cooler temps here and foot healed up (I'll be glad to be able to ditch this "goofy shoe" the Doc gave me to wear, til Thursday) I finished up the fillets around the transom core, cut and coated with resin the gunnel backer wood, moved the deck cap up closer to the hull and day before yesterday I flipped it over for the work needing to be done on it

Attachments

• photo300773.jpg
    photo300773.jpg
    792 KB · Views: 0
  • photo300774.jpg
    photo300774.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • photo300775.jpg
    photo300775.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well boys and girls, I'm back at working some on Riff Raft. Slightly cooler temps here and foot healed up (I'll be glad to be able to ditch this "goofy shoe" the Doc gave me to wear, til Thursday) I finished up the fillets around the transom core, cut and coated with resin the gunnel backer wood, moved the deck cap up closer to the hull and day before yesterday I flipped it over for the work needing to be done on it

I just started back to reading other projects and you did good on the transom. Don't worry about running out of PB. You did the right thing with mixing up more and filleting. I have to keep a watch on your progress. :thumb:

wooky30014

Petty Officer 1st Class
I got the gunnel wood in place, ends right where the originals did :whoo:. I'll get some pics tomorrow. It's cooled off enough to be noticed, WHEW. Foot is all better :crutch: and no more "goofy shoe". I'll be starting on the deck now. Here is my idea as I have to tear out and replace the wood presently in there (balsa ??), you can poke holes in whats exposed so any strength it had is long gone and as a matter of practice from a Mercedes forum I'm a member of we say "while you're in there . . . . may as well take care of that too". Anyway, here goes, the red is what is there now, the blue are the channels for the sliding hatch mounted topside, that hatch won't be used as I now have a flip up hatch I'm going to put in it's place. The black is a rough outline of a single sheet of 1/2 in ply I was going to replace with, the center section will have to be doubled as that part sits higher topside. Also over at the gunnels I was going to tie this to the new wood that will be replaced down the sides, same level. My thinking is that this will strengthen the front deck and help it from sagging in the center. I was afraid of walking on it before. I'm still open to suggestions if this isn't a proper fix (meaning will cause problems in the future) SCRATCH that, I can't get the pic sized down small enough with the colors added :mad-new: :facepalm: :mad:

wooky30014

Petty Officer 1st Class
Here's the gunnel slats in place, pardon the sloppy resin sagging :faint2: it's on the vertical. I'll do some OCD cleanup after they are fully cured :wink:

Attachments

• photo301797.jpg
    photo301797.jpg
    840 KB · Views: 0
  • photo301798.jpg
    photo301798.jpg
    835.2 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Here's the gunnel slats in place, pardon the sloppy resin sagging :faint2: it's on the vertical. I'll do some OCD cleanup after they are fully cured :wink:

Looks good to me. And there is no such thing as too much resin. Runs are all part of it. Just look at them as vertical reinforcements.