Am I getting a steal or a nightmare?!? (Project Bayliner)

soar238

Cadet
Hello, I am new here, Just would like to say hello to everyone for starters. I will try to get some pictures of the damages asap so you can judge further in detail.

So the boat is a 1996 Bayliner Capri 1800 LS 40th Aniv. Edition 18ft Force 120hp outboard. Clean Title, Keys, paperwork.
has 1 4inch hole high up on the outside of boat.. the rest of the haul looks to be in perfect shape. no damages at all

Here is the scoop, I will be receiving this boat for FREE, no trailer though the old couple that owns it still are the original 1st owners, used it for 1 summer, has like 15 hours total on it. They lifted it on the boat hoist and it has been sitting since 1996 with no cover. I am the first person to remove the engine cover... :eek: the motor is very clean and like new looking, the crank spins, and has good compression. Not sure if there is gas or any liquids still remaining. Throttle and steering wheel move also.

I need anyone to try to give me an idea on how much work or how hard this may be to fix. I have restored 1 boat already. I can do fiberglass repairs/carpentry, Everything I can do on my own.

The Bad: All the seats and vinyl is pretty much ruined, everywhere where there is wood is rotted. So needs a new floor, I planned on just removing all the interior and starting from scratch.. And what about the engine. How bad do you think it could be?, hoping to clean out all liquids.. change oils, clean carbs, etc..? gas tank looks to be in good shape..

So is there any suggestions? Anything I can check or look at to see if something is going to be no good? Is it worth attempting a new project like this? Basically i want to start with getting the engine running.. If it runs good. Then i will gut the interior.

Need some input about anything!

matt167

Rear Admiral
Re: Am I getting a steal or a nightmare?!? (Project Bayliner)

It will be expensive but with the cost of free, probably still less than buying another comparable boat. You could get into an older tin boat for a lot cheaper with no motor, hang that 120 Force on it which is likely in top shape ( rebuild water pump, carbs, pumps and lines, probably make it good as new ).. The question is if you want to put that kind of time into that boat

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

What's your location? Do you have freezing weather there?... and if so, was the engine properly winterized? If the engine doesn't have a cracked block it'll probably be the least of your worries and require less work than the hull will.

It sounds like you'll be in for a full hull restoration, meaning new decking, maybe a new transom, new floatation foam, and new stringers.

Since you're getting the boat for free, it'll be a pretty good deal if you have the $2K or so to restore it.

oldjeep

Admiral

What's your location? Do you have freezing weather there?... and if so, was the engine properly winterized? If the engine doesn't have a cracked block it'll probably be the least of your worries and require less work than the hull will.

It sounds like you'll be in for a full hull restoration, meaning new decking, maybe a new transom, new floatation foam, and new stringers.

Since you're getting the boat for free, it'll be a pretty good deal if you have the $2K or so to restore it.

It is an outboard - winterization is as follows - lower motor to vertical ;)

I like bayliners more than the average iBoater. However, a free 1996 that hasn't had a cover on it in 17 years isn't worth anything.

For what you will spend fixing that thing you could easily buy one that is in working condition.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

For what you will spend fixing that thing you could easily buy one that is in working condition.

Not if it's made out of fiberglass, a $2K fiberglass boat will more than likely need just about the same amount of work that the one he's getting for free will need.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

I'd still grab it, and worse case, you have a low hour outboard. Focusing on the motor first is a good plan, as others have said the 17 years of weather is going to be your challenge with that hull. Worse case you haul her to the dump minus your new outboard. Nice find even w/o pictures.

oldjeep

Admiral

Not if it's made out of fiberglass, a $2K fiberglass boat will more than likely need just about the same amount of work that the one he's getting for free will need.

BS - the boat is worth maybe 3K on a trailer in good condition and there are many of them around. Hopefully the value of the outboard (if it can be made to run) would be more than the cost of disposing of the rest of it.

(Note: I've actually owned a few bayliners and they are not all rot boxes when you get them )

Not necessarily. I have seen some 5 year old boats that were junk but my Proline is a 1984 and doesn't need a thing as far as the boat condition. There are lots of 1996 boats out there that are in fine condition and simply need a motor attached. Personally, I would dump the boat, have the motor checked and move forward with find a good hull. A 1996 Force (15hours??) should be a good motor and although it may need some TLC, it should be good to go.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

but my Proline is a 1984 and doesn't need a thing as far as the boat condition. There are lots of 1996 boats out there that are in fine condition and simply need a motor attached. Personally, I would dump the boat, have the motor checked and move forward with find a good hull. A 1996 Force (15hours??) should be a good motor and although it may need some TLC, it should be good to go.

Is your boat for sale for $2K? Would you even consider taking $2K for it?

Check around on your areas Craigslist and see how many fiberglass boats you can find for $2K that don't need any work... let alone just recently restored and in like new condition, because that's what soar 238 will be getting for $2K. A like new boat that has just been restored.

GAMAYBERRY

Cadet

I have given this advice before and I will give it again here. If you are looking at it as a possible financial investment, you will be let down in the end. If you are doing it as an investment for the fun that you will have restoring it, and/or the fun your family and friends will have on it, that's where your return is! Below is my reason for everything!

rszPicture 030.jpg

soar238

Cadet

Thank you everyone for your quick replies. I will be taking on this project after all.

I have given this advice before and I will give it again here. If you are looking at it as a possible financial investment, you will be let down in the end. If you are doing it as an investment for the fun that you will have restoring it, and/or the fun your family and friends will have on it, that's where your return is! Below is my reason for everything!

View attachment 205997

Gaymayberry, I like how you think.. and sorry to everyone I failed to mention the reason for taking on this project. For starters once this is restored I should easily be able to get 3-4k out of it. I live in South Florida by the way. I assume with all my knowledge and access to almost free materials.

But I am not doing this as an investment whatsoever. Honestly getting a boat with intentions to dump money into it restore it and prayyyy you get a little above what you paid in materials and time.. You are not to bright.

With all that said... I am 28 years old, I have a wonderful fiance and we just had a baby girl 4 months ago today. We both are pretty much settled down and we are very content with our lives. I want to take on this project as a hobby for something fun to do (love construction work) and so me and my family can go out and make some new memories my baby can have of us going out on the boat on weekends and having a blast.. So thank you to everyone for commenting.. You are more then welcome to continue leaving any input desired. But Either way I will be bringing this project home.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I want to take on this project as a hobby for something fun to do (love construction work) and so me and my family can go out and make some new memories my baby can have of us going out on the boat on weekends and having a blast.. So thank you to everyone for commenting.. You are more then welcome to continue leaving any input desired. But Either way I will be bringing this project home.

This project will work very well for you then, you'll get a like new boat for a small fraction of the cost of a brand new one.

You won't have to fork out a big chunk of change on a boat you don't know anything about. You can buy the materials as you need them and when you have money for them.

When you're finished, you'll know your boat inside and out and will have a huge feeling of pride and satisfaction on a job well done.

Keep us updated with pics of your progress when you get started on the boat, post them right here to this thread so we can follow along.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Welcome to the insanity, soar238...
The best thing to do is commit to a total and complete restoration...that way you will know what to expect and what kind of product you will get when completed...which will be a better than new boat...
I would like to come aboard and watch and help any way I can.
Best regards,
GT1M

SigSaurP229

Commander

Congrats and it sounds like you are doing it for the right reasons. Sometimes it isn't about the money, you will never ever get back what you put into it in time and money back out of it, BUT things like this

make it all worth it OH and he was 8 months old when I started my restoration.

I've said it before I am most certainly not a glasser guy, but I am here for the ride if you need any help at all just shout.

check out Fiberglass , Epoxy , Composites, Carbon Fiber - U.S. Composites, Inc. for materials.

Go buy some Arauco grade plywood.

Get a good grinder and several 60 grit flap disk.

MOST importantly since this is a glass boat YOU MUST have a GOOD resperator and suit Safety gear is extremely important.

Last edited:

GAMAYBERRY

Cadet

Thank you everyone for your quick replies. I will be taking on this project after all.

Gaymayberry, I like how you think.. and sorry to everyone I failed to mention the reason for taking on this project. For starters once this is restored I should easily be able to get 3-4k out of it. I live in South Florida by the way. I assume with all my knowledge and access to almost free materials.

But I am not doing this as an investment whatsoever. Honestly getting a boat with intentions to dump money into it restore it and prayyyy you get a little above what you paid in materials and time.. You are not to bright.

With all that said... I am 28 years old, I have a wonderful fiance and we just had a baby girl 4 months ago today. We both are pretty much settled down and we are very content with our lives. I want to take on this project as a hobby for something fun to do (love construction work) and so me and my family can go out and make some new memories my baby can have of us going out on the boat on weekends and having a blast.. So thank you to everyone for commenting.. You are more then welcome to continue leaving any input desired. But Either way I will be bringing this project home.

Congrats on the baby and upcoming wedding, but I want to point out one small detail, after GA, there is no Y in my screenname. :facepalm: Hahaha Its actually G. A. Mayberry. First and middle initial, last name. :joyous:

bakerjw

Petty Officer 1st Class

Since I've become a regular here, I can say that I would probably never consider buying another used boat without first contemplating what it would take to get it to a bare hull and rebuilt from the ground up. There are just so many rot horror stories.

In this case, you at least don't have a financial stake in doing the demo work. Worst case, you haul it off to the junk yard and scrap it. You can even then sell the motor and get some cash for your troubles.

Since you are going to tackle the job at hand, you'll have a fine sturdy boat that will last you for years and will be better than when originally manufactured.

hivoltg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The only other thing I would add to check on would be your home owners association about boats and where you can keep them on your property. Especially if its going to be restored. You are in Florida (pro boat area) so its probably not an issue. I didn't even think of it before I got a boat, and the hoa dictators and I had a good fight that I ended up winning...for now.

Last edited:

Is your boat for sale for $2K? Would you even consider taking $2K for it?

Check around on your areas Craigslist and see how many fiberglass boats you can find for $2K that don't need any work... let alone just recently restored and in like new condition, because that's what soar 238 will be getting for $2K. A like new boat that has just been restored.

Not trying to argue anything but I actually got my Proline for free, essentially. It came on a 24ft aluminum tandem wheeled trailer which I sold for more than I paid for the entire boat. I shop boats and buy and sell on craigslist like it's a retail store as a hobby so I can pretty much tell you the price and condition of the market in sth fla. Truth is, you can buy really nice conditioned (original) boats like this here for $2000 long all day long--I looked at a half dozen in the part 2 weeks. The difference in soar238's boat is the motor (Force 120). That alone is probably worth getting the boat but if it were me I would put the motor on a working boat which you could find for cheap and far less than a rebuild. I have been the rebuild path and can tell you it gets expensive. Of course soar238 has connections so the cost will be less, but not your time. Personally, I'd rather spend my time on the water and with my family.

boat2.jpg

soar238

Cadet

Updated:

Here are some pictures of the boat.

And Tell me that motor isn't like brandnew still.. I got confirmation that it has under 50 hours on it. Excited about getting a like new Force 120 for free...

2013-08-0610.12.11.jpg2013-08-0610.12.44.jpg2013-08-0610.12.59.jpg2013-08-0610.13.04.jpg2013-08-0308.34.52.jpg