Admit it...You have a Baretta

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkarsk

Recruit
Re: I admit it...I have a Baretta

Can anyone help me. I admit to buying a Baretta yesterday. A 20' Success bowrider. I'm trying to find some info on it. Its got a 5.7 Volvo penta with a volvo 275 outdrive. Any comments on this setup? Does anyone know the HP rating for this motor? Is has a Rochester Quadrajet carb, is that stock? Seem to run good, takin it out today!

I have a 1988 Success 180 w/ 4.3l and it is rated at 190 - 200 hp. The quad is stock for the GM 5.7l and is a good carb. I love our boat and haven't seen any major problems. Baretta is a product of Mel Hart Products out of Arkansas. Here is a excerpt from Boat US http://www.boatus.com/consumer

Just before Mel-Hart Products went bankrupt in 1990, BoatU.S. received a
dozen or so reports about fairly serious structural problems on Baretta
boats built for 1988-90. Although our database contains no reports on
the Baretta 203 Phaser, if you didn't have the boat surveyed before you
bought it, it might be a good idea to do so now, to avoid any unpleasant
surprises. 1989 Mel-Hart 21' Baretta CC (MHP276122I889:
08/20/90 Discovered 3'' repair patch at keel, stress cracks adjacent to
patch.

1988 Mel-Hart Baretta 200cd (MHP26555E888):
05/16/90 Engine bed stringers are ''coming through hull,'' causing
cracks, splitting. Hull bulges on stbd side. Mel-Hart offered factory
repairs but owner doesn't trust.

1988 Mel-Hart Baretta 200cd (26567E888):
05/16/90 Engine bed stringers are causing hull cracks on stbd side. Pt
side is bulging. Repair yard said boat can't be fixed, manufacturer
brought boat back to factory.

1987 Mel-Hart Baretta 223 Success:
02/09/90 When using boat in 1-ft seas, cabin steps & upper deck shift.
Boat's at factory but manufacturer "can't identify problem."

1989 Mel-Hart Baretta Super Sport 20:
08/08/95 After <300 hrs use: longitudinal cracks pt/stbd 18" out from
keel, about 4'-5' long.

In addition to the reports on Baretta models, we also received information
about structural problems and blister damages on other boats built by
Mel-Hart.

Hello all i have a success 23 very much like the fazer just open bow. Benzman nice looking boat.
I have all of the floors and fuel tank out of mine to repair stringers and motor mounts. I hate that these boats were not built better becuase they look great.
So the motor (Ford 302, 190 HP) is out and i was finaly able to talk the wife into "spending money on that old boat". Looks like it will be getting a 351w in it when i am done with the cancer surgery. My speed is nowhere the numbers yopu guys are seeing. I run 38 GPS empty (feels faster), i was very disipointed in this fact but gonna fix it. Wonder just how tired the 302 is...i bet the 351 will make a diffrence, i would love to be able to run close to 50 like Benzman.
i will post some pics of the rotted guts in my boat when i get a minute. Lets see some more pics guys...
Anybody have an idea of what these things weigh? 23' boat (2400?)
I love the way my baretta looks on the water, in the driveway torn apart not so much...

sweetcheeks

Cadet

Try This. It will give you some idea. Good luck with the boat.
www.iboats.com/Baretta_Boats__Phaser/bp/33br1032s351

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

My freshly restored 87 Baretta SS

P3201874.jpg

crashh_99

Recruit

My Baretta 1989 is named ''Littlewing", aka. Jimi Hendrix"

as they said in U-571 "she's old...but she'll hold"

colobiker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

here's a pic of mine .. its a 1981 sucess with the 120.
bought it last fall not running... only paid $300 for it.. to wtf.. it needs completly redone.... was going to do it this spring..(starting in feb).. Wife had other plans..... The wife and I are splitting up now..... so the boat will have to wait till I move into my now place after i remodel the house...... heres a few pics of my new shop...

IMG_0001 cropped-crop.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0230.JPG

harleycarxman

Recruit

I bought a 1986 baretta campainer 140hp bowrider 2 years ago ( call her miss treated) working on the interior now and getting ready for paint:cool: will post pics soon of before and after.

toadwarts

Cadet

I just purchased an 87 162 with a vovlo/penta 130 hp 275 stern drive. I am putting it in the water today. I got a steal on it ( I think). Floor looks solid, seats are in good shape. The previous owner tells me i do not need to use the radiator because the moter is water cooled ? Any feedback

captmello

Captain

I just purchased an 87 162 with a vovlo/penta 130 hp 275 stern drive. I am putting it in the water today. I got a steal on it ( I think). Floor looks solid, seats are in good shape. The previous owner tells me i do not need to use the radiator because the moter is water cooled ? Any feedback

The part about not needing the radiator is odd. I would post this issue in the I/O forum with some pics for clarification. I presume you've got an AQ131 in that boat which is a closed cooling engine. I'd like to see how it was bypassed.

I'll look for your post in that forum.:)

mrapala1

Cadet

I have a 23 ft baretta phaser 230 cc family loves it me and my little girl traded our jeep for it .had to gut the interior toke a month of weekends but we finished all but one of the jump seats. I have the omc 5.0 cobra it will do 32mph at 3500 rpms on my gps and speed odm. hole shot was a little slow added a whale tail to the out drive helped out a lot .i will take pics and post them will add pics of how the power sterring pump is located . also own a chapperal but love my baretta. it handles great we run out to the barrier islands all the time and it is great.dont be ashamed to me its a good boat.

DrWiffel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just bought an 83 Baretta 16.5? (not sure of the model) with a 140 Merc IO. The floor and Vinyl needs replacing (not sure about the transom but will be taking a closer look at it), other then that the Motor and Haul seemed to be in great shape. I?m going to be picking it up here in a couple of weeks (if it works out, this weekend). I?m hoping to do the floor and the vinyl (I have a sister that?s pretty good at that kind of stuff) for under 600 or so, but that might be wishful thinking. I?ll get some pictures up when I start the project in the restoration project area.

Can anyone ID the Model for me?

Attachments

• Boat01.jpg
    Boat01.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Boat02.jpg
    Boat02.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Boat03.jpg
    Boat03.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Boat04.jpg
    Boat04.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 0

mrapala1

Cadet

here are some pics when i redone my phaser 230

Attachments

• 2111.jpg
    2111.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 2109.jpg
    2109.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 2110.jpg
    2110.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 2118.jpg
    2118.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 0

captmello

Captain

I have the omc 5.0 cobra it will do 32mph at 3500 rpms on my gps and speed odm. hole shot was a little slow added a whale tail to the out drive helped out a lot .

Those phasers are good looking boats. 32mph @3500, is that at wide open throttle? If so, somethng isn't quite right. You should be reaching low 4000s RPM a WOT. If you have questions about your motor or performance, ask in the I/O section of this website. There is lots of help there. You may be over propped, which would explain the bad hole shot. I'm not a fan of the whale tail, it is hard on the outdrive and can affect the handling of a boat in a negative way.

Good luck with your Barreta.:)

mrapala1

Cadet

hook up my gps done a tune up it will get 45mph at 4200rpm:cool:

ge000

Recruit

yup!!!!
I have a Baretta Success 19' and it is to me a super boat,especially with the swim platform and the dash features everything.
my only problem was that I bought it used and found out that the previous owner let water standing in the hull with the drain plug in(oops a nono for sure)I replaced the floor and a motor brace,recarpeted and repainted the red in the oroginal seats with the plastic paint found at Wal-Mart for this purpose,it did a fantastic job.the boat is powered with a 120 OMC Cobra,but would really like to upgrade that but it would really take a bite out of the wallet .
Isee that you wrote about adding a snap top cover,I would really like to do that too. as my boat is in a slip at our marina.if you finish the job please send me a pic or two.
keep up the good work and happy boating in your Barettagoldeneagle000@msn.com

jboater383

Recruit

Hi There Folks
I am thinking of seeking and willing to purchase a phaser230cc. As a collector of old boats I think this is one fine looking craft for its time. Don't let anyone get you down on something you feel is precious to you. You own something that is very unique and is quite rare to find today. The sooner you restore or just maintane one to its near original condition you will have pride in the fact that you own one. As the saying goes they don't build them like they used to has some meaning today as back in those days there was more human hands on in the manufacturing proccess. So good luck and fine wines only get better with age.

jboater383

Recruit

I did end up buying the 23 phaser cc . Had to redo the back jump seats and rear flip up back rests . Wood was just powder but coverings and foam were reusable just added a 1/2 inch high density foam to them. I have the 5.8 omc in it and running a 17 inch pitch prop on it and getting 45 mph. by spedo at 5100 rpm. trimmed to most efficient angle. Engine over revving should only be turning 4400 max per specs. Waiting on a 19 pitch to arrive and hope to try it before the snow flies. Is this forum still alive? Lets hear some new stuff people. Seems like there have been no new posts .

jboater383

Recruit

yes just aquired one about a month ago. Love it . See my posts jboater383

captmello

Captain

We need to see picks to get our juices flowing. Sounds like a nice boat.

Must see pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.