74' 135 hp johnson PwrShift II Carbs?

Eric45653

Cadet
Could anyone tell me what kind of kit to get for to rebuild these? I need some sort of part ##<br /><br />Reason: It smokes very heavly and runs rough at start up until it gets warm...then runs fine. The motor feels like it is running too rich at start-up. CHOKE IS NOT STICKING!!<br /><br />BYW: Choke is either 100% on, or 100% off.

Eric45653

Cadet
Re: 74' 135 hp johnson PwrShift II Carbs?

Also: Does anyone know what tilt/trim units are compatable with this motor? Does it have to be a 74-76 unit...or are there others?

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Eric, carb kit, BMC p/n 0383906 or Sierra P/N 18-7046, Typically the Sierra kits do not include a float. Not sure on the T&T ?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The only ones (T&T) that will fit are from 1973-1976 motors.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Eric,I don't feel anything normally at fault in your carbs will make them run rich.The float level could,but you'd see gas leaking around the carbs.<br /><br />You say the carb chokes are 100%.Open then closed.Unless someone added parts from another year,your choke should have three wires.Two purple,one black which is a ground lead.The two purple ... One activates the choke fully,from the switch at the remote control.The other applies partial choke until the temp sender on the cylinder head shuts it off.<br /><br />Just the way it was then,but anyone could have changed anything.<br /><br /> When the motor is warmed up and running,see if the choke plates ARE wide open. (sounds like you have done this,maybe not) if the choke plates are closed partially when warm,the temp sender on the cylinder head is bad,or you have a wiring problem.<br /><br />Another thought,a bad fuel pump diaphram could be pumping fuel into the cylinders rather than thru the intake.<br /><br />Of corse,you motor is 32 years old,and the oldies wasted a lot of fuel,by design.<br /><br />DHP

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Good points DHP, as for running rich and and the smoking, my money would be on fouling spark plugs and maybe the need for a decarb, also a compression test may be in order.

Eric45653

Cadet

thanks for the info guys....My choke (i dont think) works on a thermastate. Its.. Switch on..switch off!!! <br /><br />BYW, i am still working on the PP problem <br />(i couldnt get to the marina last week)<br /><br />To bad about the TT! These animals are hard to come by!!!

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Correct on the choke, it only works as long as the switch is activated. <br /><br />I'd forgot about the p/pack, be sure to rule out bad ign. coils, they can damage power packs I understand. I think once you resolve the issue with the ign. system you'll find its not running too rich anymore.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Are you talking about the complete TNT unit or just the electric motor?<br /><br />Originaly the choke was connected to a temp switch for a "partial" choke. Years ago there was a bulletin advising to disconnect that part of it. It would be rare, but not impossible, to find one still working that way.<br /><br />What spark plugs are you using?

Eric45653

Cadet

Hi..yes the whole TT unit. The plugs are champian, and the recommended type for this year motor (i dont know the number). Also, they are the type that have the "ground-hook" at the bottom...not the "flat across" type.