Adding an external gear lube reservoir

bucknutjoe

Seaman
Can you add an external gear lube reservoir to a stern drive that didn't originally have one? My transom assemble serial number is 6394656 mercruiser alpha one on a 1983 Four Winns. I'm working on transferring this 3.0 Merc and outdrive to a 1996 Bayliner. The new(er) boat has the reservoir in it and a corresponding fitting through the transom, so if like to take advantage of it if possible. If it is, how do I do it?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Adding an external gear lube reservoir

69622A7 is the number for the kit for the older drives. Comes with instructions.

MER69622A7.jpg

Bondo

Staff member

Can you add an external gear lube reservoir to a stern drive that didn't originally have one? My transom assemble serial number is 6394656 mercruiser alpha one on a 1983 Four Winns. I'm working on transferring this 3.0 Merc and outdrive to a 1996 Bayliner. The new(er) boat has the reservoir in it and a corresponding fitting through the transom, so if like to take advantage of it if possible. If it is, how do I do it?

Ayuh,.... You Are changin' the Transom Assembly too,..?? Correct,..??

The drive you have, Won't mount to that transom assembly,... it's a Gen.II, 'n yer drive is an "MR"/ Alpha 1 drive,...

bucknutjoe

Seaman

The Bayliner's transom serial is OF852349. Are you sure my drive won't for that? It sure looks right (albeit through my hopefully optimistic eyes)
Old:
image.jpg

Bondo

Staff member

The Bayliner's transom serial is OF852349. Are you sure my drive won't for that? It sure looks right (albeit through my hopefully optimistic eyes)
Old:

Ayuh,... The shiftin' apparatus is Completely different,... The Change haapened in '91,...

bucknutjoe

Seaman

But can't I put my '83 bell housing onto the gimbal ring of the '96 if the lower shift cable is going through to its original engine? Or am I talking about something different?