Adding a Splashwell

Wildey

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi folks.
I have a 14' Sylvan V, short shaft 15 tiller and am considering adding a splashwell.
It's a nice little boat that fits me perfectly except for that occasion when an obnoxious wake approaches square to the stern. Had a couple close calls. Small, protected and relatively calm water with ever increasing wake riders and other BIG boats making a mess of things.
Feasible ? Any examples, pics, descriptions any of you know of ?
Other options ? (other than a bigger boat )
Thanks

Wildey

Petty Officer 1st Class
DOES !
Thanks !
A partial splash guard of sorts might be added along with a shallow, draining well. Not much room there with the tiller.
Lotta good info/links in that reference !
Thanks again,
W

airshot

Rear Admiral
Can be trickey depending on how transom supports are attached ... Might need to visit a sheet metal fab shop if you don't have sheetmetal bending/ fabricating experience. There are also some generic units thst can be bought and modified to fit. Pics of yourvtransom might help ur to make suggestions. I owned a 1964 Mirro 14' but can't remember what the transom looked like ( sold it in 1968). Way to far back for this old brain.

Wildey

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey A,
I have the metal, tools and exp., I might just mock something up using my Lowe 1600 as an example. Its pretty basic, but has a 40 w/remote controls.
Not much room in the Sylvan between the transom and the first bench seat.
Lotta goodies go down in there. Gas, batteries, ...... and the tiller when tilted of course. Hate to cover that space too much. I'll look at it a bit closer next time there. Might take a pic or 2 also.
Thanks !

airshot

Rear Admiral
Hey A,
I have the metal, tools and exp., I might just mock something up using my Lowe 1600 as an example. Its pretty basic, but has a 40 w/remote controls.
Not much room in the Sylvan between the transom and the first bench seat.
Lotta goodies go down in there. Gas, batteries, ...... and the tiller when tilted of course. Hate to cover that space too much. I'll look at it a bit closer next time there. Might take a pic or 2 also.
Thanks !
Then you have a great start to make your own. Keep in mind the well doesn't need to be big. On my old mirro the well was less 5" deep and stuck out about 6" from the transom, didn't even cover the entire width, just the cut out for the drop down. I never liked storing my fuel tank back there or the battery. Prefered to have them on the side ( one on each side) or right behind the middle seat, gave a much better balance to the boat.