about paint the boat but I need some help identifying some parts to replace

belliano

Cadet
So I have a 1989 larson dc 175. I am about to start the tear down to do the prep work for the paint but there are a few parts that need replaced but I dont know what they are called to find them. The first part is the metal trim ring that goes around the whole boat with a rubber gasket in it. I assume the gasket is to hide the screws. I dont know if I can even buy this part? If I cant I would atleast like to get a new rubber gasket, because I know once I start pulling that think its going to crumle like a cracker.
Another question I have is about the paint I am using. I have been reading quite a bit of good reviews on the rustoleum topside paint. Any pros or cons? And since my boat is only in the water for max 24hrs at a time, can I use the topside on the whole boat? I have read u can since I am just using it in lakes for short periods of time.

Thats all I got I appreciate any help u guys can offer.
by the way how do I change my screen name? I dont even remember picking belliano??? Sorry im obviously a noob

Last edited:

pckeen

Commander
Re: about paint the boat but I need some help identifying some parts to replace

The part you are looking for is called a rub rail, and iboats has them.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iBoats!

What boat? What Year? RubRail is correct. Unless the aluminum is really bent and distorted you should try to reuse it if possible. They are very pricey. The rubber insert is too. A heat gun will help make it rubbery again unless it's just to far gone. Post some pics so we can see what you're working on.

WelcomeAboard.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

Straight Rusto pro will work, rather then their topside paint.

Check out WoodOnGlass's paint info:
"Paint Your Boat for Under $100 Bucks...Well Almost"

You can improve the durability of the paint by adding the enamel hardener too. It's in WOG's paint info too.

belliano

Cadet

Welcome to iBoats!

What boat? What Year? RubRail is correct. Unless the aluminum is really bent and distorted you should try to reuse it if possible. They are very pricey. The rubber insert is too. A heat gun will help make it rubbery again unless it's just to far gone. Post some pics so we can see what you're working on.

WelcomeAboard.jpg

its a 1989 larson dc 175 i will definitely try a heat gun because i am trying to stay on a fairly tight budget. also can someone send me a link with the rustoleum pro paint? all i can find is the stuff to do curbs and parking lot lines?
wood i will try and post some pics when i get home from work.. thx!

belliano

Cadet

I don't know if we have a tractor place here in Tucson? I just ordered a gallon of the gloss white pro paint by rustoleum(hope its the right stuff) I am going to start another thread today showing the progress of the repaint. I start the tear down and sanding today so wish me luck!:eek: