aaaand so it begins - starcraft rebuild

MrMarine

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: aaaand so it begins - starcraft rebuild

Wow!!!! I'm impressed.
So when you comming over to build my stuff????

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Bingo. We have a winner. Thumbs up for Greg's.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. When you have your nose to the grindstone, you lose perspective on the whole project. I'm mostly thinking about the 4 billion things yet to be done, but it's motivating to get some positive feedback on what's been accomplished so far.

That reminds me. I was in Boater's World the other day (they're really starting to clear out), pawing over this and that. I got to talking with another guy about the merits of NOT buying wire @ boater's world. Even with clearance prices, you can do better elsewhere. Thought I did the guy a favor - he was holding a 4 gauge battery cable with terminators; all two feet of this product cost $69 (really, boater's world?). Anyhow, we get onto my project and all of a sudden he's Johnny Nay-sayer. He tried three or four times to tell me that I was dreaming if I thought I'd be launching this YEAR. What a jack*****. Hey, if you've got nothing nice to say... oh, and about that battery cable, I've got a great idea about where you can 'install' it.

Ok, done venting. After staring at the console for a good 1/2 hour last night, I decided to make a change. I'm going to move the VHF under the tach and expand the original VHF hole for a watertight "glove box" of sorts. I need a safe place for cell phones, cameras, ipods, etc. I have a 12 volt recepticle for charging things that I am planning to install inside the box also.

Feel free to chime in if I'm forgetting something major or you guys see a better way to do something.

Hey Matt..just tossing it out there..I was looking at this 3 gang and it had the 12v cig/charger recepticle..Would this be advantagous to your console??

Attachments

• 3gang lighter.jpg
    3gang lighter.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 0

matthewp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Kev,
Thanks for the tip on the switch panel/charger. I just finished with moving the VHF and adding the soon-to-be waterproof glove box. Here are some shots:

the box:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...authkey=Gv1sRgCLis177855WxrgE&feat=directlink

the box in place with the VHF moved up:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mpprovo...7855WxrgE&feat=directlink#5326980161794207746

a closer shot:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...authkey=Gv1sRgCLis177855WxrgE&feat=directlink

I will put the 12 volt outlet somewhere in the box - probably toward the back. I'll find something soft and cushy to line the box with after it's been sealed with epoxy. The hinged lid has yet to find its way into my imagination.

matthewp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I haven't made any huge progress over the last few days - just doing piddly stuff in the basement. I wound up keeping the stringers. they cleaned up ok. I had to brace them in a few places with aluminum L strips and rivets.

I bought a pneumatic rivet gun at Harbor Freight for 35 bucks. Makes quick work of riveting and it's much easier on the hands.

I also fabbed up my bilge pump assemblies. I cut up a plastic cutting board ($2.50 @ Job Lot) and made two "platforms", one for each pump. The pumps (and float switch for the 2000 gph pump) get screwed to the platform. I made some aluminum brackets that I'll use to attach the pump assemblies to both sides of the transom knee brace. Also, I modified the flooring panel that goes over the bilge area so that I can remove pieces of it in the event that I need to get at my pumps. Working in that area last year was a huge pain with the very restricted access that Starcraft gives you.

I finally settled on my non-skid flooring material. I did a fair amount of research on this decision. My first discovery was that it was going to cost me at least $200 for my 21'. I was intrigued by a product called Duramat. These are interlocking plastic tiles that sit on top of a painted surface. This was my holy grail solution. Good non-skid and comfortable on bare feet. The tiles alone would have been $300 - plus I would need to prime and paint the floor besides. Too expensive. I looked into Tuff Coat - you can get this at Bass Pro, Cabelas, Overtons, and from the manufacturer. It was reviewed positively, but I wasn't convinced about it's durability or comfort factor.

I went with a product called Durabak. I originally discounted it because of the cost (119 for a gallon - and I need two). BUT after speaking with the manufacturer, I learned that it's a one-step process - no primer. Two coats and you're done. I called to make sure it would adhere to epoxy - guy said sure, just rough it up with 40 grit and clean up with Xylene (or something like that). Best thing - it adheres to itself, so if future work is needed on the floor, it would just be another coat. With shipping the final cost was $260. Not too bad. Obviously, I haven't applied it or lived with it - so I'll post after some experience with it. Check them out, though, if you're looking for non-skid.

matthewp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey, NB, remember that second project I had in mind - 16 footer for early season stripers? I found her on craigslist for 400 bucks. I doubt I'll get this one - no title = big problem - but it's exactly the boat I had in mind. Now I know the hull I want is out there. I'm sick. I know. But hey, man, you started it!

Attachments

• 16 footer.jpg
    16 footer.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 16 footer2.jpg
    16 footer2.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 0

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Hey, NB, remember that second project I had in mind - 16 footer for early season stripers? I found her on craigslist for 400 bucks. I doubt I'll get this one - no title = big problem - but it's exactly the boat I had in mind. Now I know the hull I want is out there. I'm sick. I know. But hey, man, you started it!

Oh that blows big time!!!!

sschefer

Rear Admiral

O.K. this really sucks, I think I found another one too...Dang it... I'm getting to old for this.

matthewp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I made a little progress tonight. I test-fitted my bilge pumps.

I also riveted the stringers back in and layed the floor on top of them for the first time. I'll need to do some tweaking (and reseal the new cut edges with epoxy) before they go in permanently. Need to get the pink stuff in before that, too.

Here's my situation: I want to have the floor riveted down by the end of the weekend BUT I've got family coming tomorrow night - gone by sat. morning AAAANNND it's going to be in the 80's all weekend. I have a few early season spots that I must fish - or I will not sleep. The very spots I envision myself fishing with a 16 footer someday. I have some private clients to see Sat. morning. I can spend all Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning on it. My plan is to fish Sunday afternoon (if I can restrain myself that long).

My floor paint is arriving tomorrow. It's conceivable that the floor can be all finished by mid-week. It's supposed to stay warm. I may be a little heavy on the optimism, but one can dream, right?

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I hear ya man, we just went through a strech of 80-90 deg weather here. The timing was perfect for bottom painting. Lot's of folks headed up to the lake, some did so in haste and one lost his boat to a fire. That's a subtle hint.

matthewp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, I know I should wait.... I've borrowed a friend's canoe... can't... hold on.. much... longer.....

I forgot about one big detail: epoxying the floor once it's in. oops. Maybe by the end of next weekend.

matthewp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey. I just moved up to Petty Officer Second Class. Sweet. I've got to start posting more, or I won't have sufficient rank to run my own boat! :p

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Hey. I just moved up to Petty Officer Second Class. Sweet. I've got to start posting more, or I won't have sufficient rank to run my own boat! :p

lol...If I spent less time posting and more time fixing the B Ticket, I'd be done by now!

I also looked at the same floor paint and it wasnt in the budget, eager to see how you do with it!

It's been freekin 90 degrees forever it seems, I just have to worry about summer rainy season that will be starting after awhile..90 plus AND raining and severe lighting too..Metal boat, lighting strikes..could be interesting!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Hey this weekend is supposed to be great weather...... you will make your deadline!

matthewp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Weekend update:

I just had to check about that 16 footer. Sold. Just as well.

The family stayed longer than I'd anticipated, but I did fish on Saturday afternoon - no signs of life - but very therapeutic to get out on the water after this loooong and snow-filled winter. I've gotten wind that people have been catching here in RI and on the Cape.

Sunday's work: did the final fit on the plywood and hit the newly cut edges with 2 coats of epoxy resin. The stringers needed another round of rivets. Mine were riveted twice at each rib. Is that how you guys' stringers were done? Anyway - ran out of rivets last week so I had to finish that up on Sunday.

Trip to Home Depot to pick up the pink insulation and some PVC. 3" PVC for all of the wiring under the floor, and 1 1/4" for the fuel line. More details on that as I get to it. I decided to go with only the 2" pink insulation and, instead of laying the panels horizontally, I cut the panels into strips and placed them vertically - the biggest strips being at the lowest spot and tapering smaller out toward the gunnels. I saw this idea somewhere on this board but forget where. Whoever you are - thanks! This allowed me to buy one size - the 2" - instead of figuring out how much of this size vs that size I'd need. Not knowing how much I needed - I started with 5 panels. Looks like I'll need 3 more. This process is taking much longer than I thought it would - scribing and cutting each strip. The beauty is, working right in the boat - there is no clean-up. All of the waste and pink fuzz (I used my jigsaw) stays in the boat (hey, more floatation).

On a side note - I was wearing my favorite pair of flip-flops (manly, I know) while working. I managed to cut my foot on one of the stringers - and she was a bleeder. I didn't bother cleaning up the mess. I thought it was fitting that my blood really did go into this project. nyuk nyuk.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

On a side note - I was wearing my favorite pair of flip-flops (manly, I know) while working. I managed to cut my foot on one of the stringers - and she was a bleeder. I didn't bother cleaning up the mess. I thought it was fitting that my blood really did go into this project. nyuk nyuk.

That's just the beginning. My hands look like they went through a meat grinder.. LOL..

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Matt...ya gotta break some eggs to make an omlette!
All I wear down here while working on my tub is flip-flops. BTW, nuttin wrong w/flip flops, now if you call them sandals..well, men wear sandals in South Beach, ahem.......:eek:

My ankles were slashed up from day one...Thank goodness thats over..

Come on down to SWFL, bring da flip flops!

matthewp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Finished up the pink insulation/floatation last night. For anyone wondering, it takes 8 sheets of the 2" 2'X8' pink stuff to do a 21' starcraft. I'll post pictures tonight.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Finished up the pink insulation/floatation last night. For anyone wondering, it takes 8 sheets of the 2" 2'X8' pink stuff to do a 21' starcraft. I'll post pictures tonight.

Humm, interesting, it takes 32 pool noodles to fill an 18 footer.