A question for any scientists out there

Re: A question for any scientists out there

There are, apparently, some really smart people here! Still, do a pro job or have it done, put it in the water and see if it floats...stay shallow first and then venture out when comfortable. Since it is only 10 feet, use a swimming pool. :)

Problem solved...discussion no longer needed.

Now...back to my popcorn and beer...and fishing.

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I can't believe I read the whole thread...and I don't even own an inflatable! :eek:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Definitely, you shouldn't worry about math formulas and outdoor science while boating on a inflatable, that thing floats under 10 cm of water, just worry to take the apropriate number of cold beers, enough gasoline, friendly se?oritas and a pump with gauge, just in case...

Happy Boating

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Enough said right there! Apparently, the OP was more interested in the science of this than you are. I'll take this as a quaint way of you saying "My mind is made up, so please don't confuse me with the facts!"

Eons ago man started trying to make sense of the physical world we all live in. Since then, dogmatic people who don't care about the formula have been convinced that their interpretation of certain phenomenon is fact and that everyone else is wrong. Fortunately, the scientists prevailed and so we have more than four elements, the earth is no longer flat and our comprehension of the physics and chemistry of our world is amazingly complete. The science is simple enough that most anyone could put their mind to comprehension IF (and that's a "big if") they wanted to. If you have any questions about the science of what is happening here, I would gladly explain it. I still stand by my post #5: the effects would be minimal.

As for my background, I first started out as a Chemistry major for the University of Florida. Although I changed it to Russian, I still worked my way through college as a lab tech/machinist in a P-Chem lab, building and operating a super conducting magnet. We did spectral analysis on various states of hydrogen and we routinely got down to 10[SUP]-5[/SUP] torr and 1.5 C. I have a solid grasp of how temps, pressures and volumes can affect things.

Pete,

Your hung up on the science of it....Which is not giving you the correct answer to the question. This is what I do for a living. This is not about some pseudo dogma or about the science of why the boat needs or will not need air. It's about the reality of will a boat, when placed in water, need to be topped off. The answer is yes, with rare exception.

I wouldn't even pretend to to think that I could discuss chemistry with you on an equal footing. That's your field of expertise. My field of expertise is in inflatable boats(applied). Rather than argue with me, just go run your own expierment and repot back here with your findings. I'll be right, you will be wrong and this round( you know it's not really round) world of yours will continue to turn.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

And,

I was wondering where you boat out of down in the Keys? I'm always looking for people with local knowledge that can point out a good dive area that may be off the beaten path.

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

And,

I was wondering where you boat out of down in the Keys? I'm always looking for people with local knowledge that can point out a good dive area that may be off the beaten path.
Key Largo, but I dive all over the world and Florida in particular. I have friends in deep places!

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

Pete,

Your hung up on the science of it...
And you're not! The science explains, and even predicts those "Rare Exceptions". No guessing, no hoping and no "oopsies". Since you're the one with all the ribbed boats, why don't YOU measure the pressure/temperature of the boat before you put it in water and then after as well. You can even trot on down to Weeki Wachi and try warm water when the weather is cold. Its not voodoo: its simple science.

jacoboregon

Petty Officer 1st Class

And you're not! The science explains, and even predicts those "Rare Exceptions". No guessing, no hoping and no "oopsies". Since you're the one with all the ribbed boats, why don't YOU measure the pressure/temperature of the boat before you put it in water and then after as well. You can even trot on down to Weeki Wachi and try warm water when the weather is cold. Its not voodoo: its simple science.

Really??? :facepalm:

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Generally I don't use a gauge out on the water. I can tell by feel whether or not a boat is at the right spec. But, I have measured them in the past, when I was a lot younger and and hadn't reached my thousandth boat:) ...We still do on test in the shop. I have found that a boat can lose anywhere from .5 psi to.1 psi within 30 minutes of splashing. Usually that's a morning splash where the sun does not have an opportunity to increase the pressure. On ribs it's really not much of an issue. On soft bottom boats it does effect performance due to drag and the boat floors not being able to be rigid. I've seen a boat not be able to get up on plane and once the air was added back in, accomplish planing. On the professional and military boats we usually keep them slightly above spec. Those have PRV's so any dangerous over pressure bleeds off before it can be a problem.

Back to diving:) I've never dropped above Marathon. Any out of the ordinary spots that people don't visit often?

1980Coronado

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Back to diving:) I've never dropped above Marathon. Any out of the ordinary spots that people don't visit often?

I've done lots of Diving near the Lauderdale By The Sea/Pompano Beach area. There are a bunch of reefs (40'-70') and wreck dives (70'-120') to do in that area less than 1 mile out. I'd say it's some of the best diving in North America. I've been to Marathon and gone out with Abyss Dive Center and that was a great trip too....Sombrero and Flaglers Barge were fun safe (shallow) dives.

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

You've missed the best part of Keys Diving then. Cary's Fort does not get much at all. Mike's wreck (right nest to the City of Washington) is an amazing shallow wreck. Seep Molasses, Conch Wall are great for big fish. You can even spear off of the latter.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

I had planned to take a couple days off after the Miami Boat show and drop down to Key west. I think I'll drop in your area instead:)

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

I had planned to take a couple days off after the Miami Boat show and drop down to Key west. I think I'll drop in your area instead:)
I might be at the show. They are trying to integrate Scuba into the show.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Stop by and introduce yourself. I'll either be in the Mercury inflatable display or the Tohatsu display.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

I am now considering switching to sipping whiskey.

Yeah man, i'll second that with some pisco sours, will place soon a post on my personal findings on : PSI, exterior & water/temp inflatable experiments done in the cold Pacific Ocean around Lima, will need to find just the right thermometer as have already many accurate pressure gauges. I'm a gauge junky...

Happy Boating

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

Most thermometers will have an atmospheric bias. It would be great to get one INSIDE of the air chamber to check at different levels. Since there is no circulation within the tube, stratification will occur. Since water conducts heat some 32 times faster than air (maybe more), it will ultimately win, but there will still be some stratification. Maybe an IR (non-contact) thermometer shot at several areas would give us a better idea?

will need to find just the right thermometer as have already many accurate pressure gauges. I'm a gauge junky...