A "Moving Violation" question (or two)...

boatneck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: A "Moving Violation" question (or two)...

deputy dog, just wanted to say that judging by your comments, you are a credit to your profession and your community.

TPD211

Petty Officer 1st Class

Holy cow Batman.....<br /><br />Following to close.... Florida Courts recognize the 2 second rule for speeds under 55mph and 3 seconds for speeds over 55 mph. <br />Clerical errors on citations, AS DD said, as long as the minimun information is on the citation its all good in court.<br />Name calling, doesnt bother me. If I let remarks and insults get to me I'd be heading to AA meetings.<br />I'm not sure from reading your remarks what happened on the freeway. If you came up behind the car in front of you and got close to its rear wanting it get out of your way, the officer may have seen this and thus the following to close citation.<br /><br />Good luck in court.<br /><br />20 plus years as a butt-monkey. (I'm a Detective, havent issued a citation in years)

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You may want to keep in mind that in reality, courts vary.<br /><br />DD, sounds like your courts act like they're supposed to (burden is on state to prove guilt). <br /><br />In reality, this dosen't play out in all courts. Friend got a speeding ticket near our rural NC town. It was in an area a little bit past where the speed limit had increased from 45 to 55. Officer cited him for doing 55 in a 45, in spite of the fact that friend pointed out to officer that limit had changed.<br /><br />He swears he didn't increase to 55 until after the change and was so upset by the injustice of the ticket he went to court to fight it. Although his wife was with him at the time he was ticketed, instead of bringing her to court he videotaped the drive including the sign where the limit changed and where he was stopped after the increase.<br /><br />In court, Judge asked him if he had any witnesses. Friend said not with him, but he did have evidence to prove his case. Judge wouldn't even let him show it, ruled in favor of the state. If friend had known & brought wife to court with him, he probably would have won just based on her testimony.<br /><br />Alot of you are probably thinking this lack of due process can't happen, but it did. I guess he could have gotten a lawyer & appealed, but now you're talking real lawyer money instead of just minor traffic case lawyer money. So he accepted the verdict and paid the ticket, but the injustice of the ordeal really bugged him for over a year. <br /><br />Point is, DDs advice about challenging the case yourself may not be the best in certain jurisdictions. If my friend had a lawyer with him I have no doubt he would have been given the opportunity to at least present his evidence.<br /><br />12: After thinking about it some more, I'd advize one of the following.<br /><br />1) Call an attorney specializing in traffic cases, tell him the story, and ask what he can do for you and what it would cost. Most won't charge you for a consultation of that nature. If he can get the charges reduced to something thats not a moving violation, pay him the extra $100 or $150 bucks to keep the points off your record. You probably won't have to go to court with him and will save a half day of your time as well as the points.<br /><br />2) If you don't want to spend the money on a lawyer, go to court yourself. At the start, very politely mention your spotless record, state that you don't think you were following too closely, but ask the DA if instead of challenging the tailgating charge whether it would be possible to plead to a lesser charge that doesn't have points attached to it so as not to affect your insurance. I bet you have a good chance of getting something like improper equipment (but end up paying the same amount as the ticket/ court costs would have been if you just paid the ticket).<br /><br />DD, in spite of how it should be, experience with my local court would make me very hesitant to plead for dismissal by arguing the officer didn't have sufficient evidence without an attorney by my side.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like I live in a decent fair state. Sorry to those who don't. <br />Here at least it isn't about money. The only money that is channeled to the local gobvernment from fines are city ordinance violations. Only one of these ever written is maybe a parking ticket every other year. The fine money supplements the federal money to schools for books, but doesn't replace it. if the school budgets for $100,000 a year they get that much. If we generate $1000 in fines then the school gets $99,000 from the feds and state, and the $1000 from schools. I know some states and cities operate on fine money, and by articals I have read the local governing bodies will push for more citations. But the bottom line is an honest cop will only be able to make a case if an offense has happened. I have read that some officers unions have been pushing governments to stop this practice.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

DD,<br /><br />I suspect the issue wasn't related to the state, but rather to the fact that it's a small town where the relationships between the court personnel and law enforcement personnel are probably much closer due to the nature of the environment than you'd see in a city.<br /><br />Or maybe the docket was heavy & the judge was just having a bad day. But it did make me a little less naive about what should happen and what sometimes does happen. Valuable lesson.