A great sense of Catholic occasion ...

rogerwa

Commander
Re: A great sense of Catholic occasion ...

With the sexual abuse stuff, I would agree that there has been mishandling in the past. But don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. That abuse mishandling has cost each and every priest in the ranks as each one is looked as a potential offender and they have had to do things differntly, which in some cases is unfortunate.<br /><br />In my own area, a priest of a large congregation was accused on some abuse. He was since cleared and the accuser recanted. He ended up having to leave teh parish because he felt he couldn't minister effectively with that hanging over his head. While some of this abuse was a horrible thing to happen, don't forget about the opportunists.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

The letter was from a congregation in another state and looked to me like it was a mass mailing. I am used to being hassled for my religion and my beliefs, and am used to it. It sometimes gets annoying the thoughts people have on my religion, but it doesn't get me down. Sometimes it makes me angry when people go out of their way to say things that are pointless and un neccessary, but that is human nature. Happy are those who are persecuted for their beliefs and suffer in His name.<br />One incident that always comes to mind. One of the other religions in town asked my priest for a tour of our church. He said he wanted to take his bible study children throug the church so they could learn about our practices and learn the importance and learn about the presence of the statues and stations of the cross we have in our buildings. My priest said great and set up a date and time. The priest then said he would meet them there. The other minister said no, he didn't want the priest there. How can he give an intelligent honest instruction on the Catholic church without any Catholics in the building? He wanted to re-inforce the lies he was teaching his students about the presence of the stations and some of the statues we have in our buildings.<br />Go figure that one.<br />I have attended other churches for various reasons. Only a few have made me uncomfortable. One the congregation was litterally lying on the floor screaming and rolling around, the other spent a long time of the service telling how evil all other religions were. <br />I know catholic priests are supposed to be almost perfect, b ut they are human. My sisters wedding, the priest was drunk and started reading from the funeral readings. Not a good thing! He voluntarily or not went into treatment for alcohol and left the area. I think he is no longer in the priesthood.

90skichallenger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ummm, How bout them spurs huh.<br />Really, You worship your way and Ill worship mine. But overpopulation is a serious problem and you all need to check your history.<br />1. The church originally banned BC after the black plague depopulated half of europe because there were not enough people left in the world and they wrer trying to induce large population expansion.<br />2. Priestst were originally allowed to marry but the church decreed against it because the priests were leaving their goods to their families and the church wanted it. ( maybe if they could marry they wouldnt need to molest children?)<br />3. The crusades ( need I say More)<br />4. Realize more pain suffering and war have been produced because of ideology (see the Middle East) than any other reason.<br />Not against catholocism they just need to change as the world changes.<br />"those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.<br />Anyway thats just my humble opinion.<br />We should all just concentrate on treating others well and alot of these conflicts would cease.<br />as was quoted above.....<br />"live and let live"<br />Later,

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

IMHO (yeah I know, it's not very often humble) this post should not be about the Pope=good versus bad or Catholicism good v/s bad, it should be about the excesses of the modern news media who, like with every other event these days, drones on and on, ramming this event down everyones throat.<br /><br />Let the Catholics have their leader. I don't agree with everything Catholic but I would sure rather have a signifigant number of my neighbors influenced by the Pope than by many others, today, who are trying to accomplish a secular, Godless society.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Whereas I no longer consider myself a Catholic, I respect the faith, and the insttitutions of all Christians everywhere. I personally believe the Conclave of Cardinals made the absolute best descission they could make, to preserve the church in the purest form it could be kept.<br />God Bless, and long live Pope BenedictXVI, his church and it's flock.