A great sense of Catholic occasion ...

johnson-liner

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: A great sense of Catholic occasion ...

I've changed my mind...epecially BOTH of those quotes are sick and disgusting! Maybe he has never met any gay people? Sheltered life? What a joker....

mattttt25

Commander

well, i don't agree with the catholic church's stance on gays and birth control, but that's not exactly what they state- if you follow it to a t, then you would abstain from sex before marriage, marry a fellow catholic following the same principles, then have unprotected sex, which wouldn't spread aids. unless you contracted from another source. so i don't think the church wants to spread aids.

johnson-liner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, no, I don't think they want to spread AIDs. The only thing they want to spread is their own propaganda to the uneducated "heathens" of Africa (who I'm sure have their own God). (Who they need to be saved from) :D

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

One thing that is misunderstood or not wanted to be understood is catholics do not require or even ask to be married to catholics. Some of the older families do require that of their children, but not too many. My wife, my brother in law, my grandfather on dads side, grandmother on moms side are all other than catholic. <br />The stance on not using condems to prevent aids is not meant as it has been taken. We believe in, instead of using something to protect against it abstain from sexual relations before marriage. We believe that sex is someting that should be enjoyed between married people, and yes can be for fun.<br />We do not believe in having unportected sex after marriage and having as many kids as comes along, (well some individiuals do) we believe in natural planning. Not as reliable but is effective if done right. <br />As far as catholics not being progressive, the law of God does not say follow these commandments unless societey decides they are not fair or are too hard. <br />All my life as a Catholic I have been taught that NO religion is wrong as long as they believe in God and Jesus Christ as our savior. I have been to other churches and heard from many that being a Catholic makes me wrong. Recently I took time to loan my Catholic bible to a friend so she could compare that to her King James and I have taken the time to explain my beliefs and that of my church. I will never try to convert anyone to my religion. That is up to each person and their beliefs and desires. But she learned a lot that and found out she has been mislead about catholics all her life. <br />Priests will probably never be allowed to marry. The reson for this as our beliefs are, when Jesus chose the disciples he said put down your nets and follow me. He said to give up their life, their family, everything and follow him. priests follow in that tradition.<br />If everyone thought the same, believed the same, worshiped the same, life would be so boring!

D

DJ

Nos4r2, nailed it.<br /><br /><br />
Belief in god isn't. <br />
Everyone confuses religion with Faith. If you don't understand it, we need to talk.<br /><br />I cannot, nor will not, profess a state of self importance to deny a Supreme Creator/Being.<br /><br />If you can, good luck.

jimchere

Petty Officer 1st Class

Checking outta Iboats!

D

DJ

C'mon Jim,<br /><br />Been there done that.<br /><br />You going to let them win?<br /><br />BTW, look above, great info., up there.

jimchere

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nah, I'm just kidding. Problem is I can only sneak here every now and then and read quickly; don't have time to formulate intelligent responses.

D

DJ

Jim,<br /><br />I always thought your responses were intellegent.<br /><br />Give yourself more credit.<br /><br />See ya' round. ;)

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Jim, <br /><br />I wholeheartedly apologise if I've offended you. I simply don't see the need for Organised Religion.<br /><br />Here's how I see it:-<br /><br />Old testament.Be nice to people and procreate because we live in a pretty nasty society and if we aint nice to each other and don't procreate we'll die out. If you aint nice to others eventually someone's gonna poke you in the eye.Don't sleep around-it causes more hassle than it's worth in ways you can't imagine.<br /><br />New testament.Be nice to people, pay your taxes because we've all gotta pay for the improvements in our lives.If someone's nasty to you, don't hit him because two wrongs don't make a right and it causes more hassle than it's worth in ways you can't imagine.<br />And again,don't sleep around-it causes more hassle than it's worth in ways you can't imagine.<br /><br />I'm afraid that our queen doesn't make a particularly good figurehead for an organised religion either.<br /><br />In my opinion the old testament preaches survival and being nice to people-relative to the time it was written.The new testament preaches being a responsible human being and being a good person, also relative to the time it was written.<br /><br />IF (and I have no idea whether he did or not) Jesus didn't exist then it was necessary to create him as an example to others on how to behave-AT THAT PARTICULAR TIME.<br /><br /><br />What would the bible say if it was written from scratch with no preconceived ideas now? Somehow I doubt very much that organised religion would be featured very highly.I suspect that there would be a lot of relevant common sense in it though-and 2000 years later it would be out of date.<br /><br />I don't know if there is any form of supreme being. IF there is, who am I to question it?<br /><br />All we can do is attempt to use common sense. It usually prevails.

D

DJ

All we can do is attempt to use common sense.
Yep,right to the second holocuast.<br /><br />Seems "sensible", while it's being done.<br /><br />Granted, this country has lost all aspects of common sense. However, it doesn't enter into these matters.<br /><br />Two differnt issues. Common sense used to be driven by a sense of right and wrong developed from a sense of the ten commandments. (Read the Constitution)<br /><br />Now it means, "whatevever feels good".

D

DJ

Nos4r2 wrote.<br /><br />
I wholeheartedly apologise if I've offended you. I simply don't see the need for Organised Religion.<br />
Fine, then quit commenting on it. If it's no use then it should not garner a response from you.<br /><br />
What would the bible say if it was written from scratch with no preconceived ideas now?
That's the whole idea. If it was written now, we'd be slaughtering each other, in the streets, with no consequence.<br /><br /><br />You've got it backwards, man was meant to follow the rules, not make them up, as he goes.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

I agree with you there DJ-common sense should be based in the 10 commandments.They by and large make sense.<br />Unfortunately as you said,"common sense" just aint that common.<br /><br />If the bible was written now then why should the overall message of being a good person be any different? It'd just apply to a different set of circumstances.<br /><br /> Education (e.g. TEACH the africans that AIDS is a threat-don't just tell them and expect them to believe it blindly)has gotta be the way forward, not pious judgement.<br /><br />People shouldn't make the rules up as they go along. They just need the ability to apply them constructively to a changing world. Hence common sense.

rogerwa

Commander

DeputyDog, thanks for expressing very well some of the beliefs. Some of this stuff in this post was very offensive and unnecessary. The commentary is also very arrogant and to a certain extent is evangilization of a different religion.<br /><br />FYI, the new Pope did not volunteer as a Hitler youth, he was volunteered as were all other youth his age. He was let out of the service because of his seminary pursuits. In this case, where you think there is smoke, there is no fire. Allegation is not fact as much as you would like it to be.<br /><br />I am just disgusted and sickened by all the negative press the new pope is generating. You only hear them talking about the wishes of Amercian liberal catholics. That is an oxymoron. The catholic religion does not need to change. The tenets are just as relevant now as they were in the past.<br /><br />If you don't like it, don't join. Just don't arrogantly talk down to us simple folk who take the religion to heart and live by its 'rules'.<br /><br />My whole family are practicing catholics. I have four kids and do not use birth control. I know the meaning of abstinence. If the train gets rolling, and has happened many times, you have to stop it or live with the consequences. I wouldn't expect anyone to condone killing a baby just to clean my mess.<br /><br />Homosexuals are not evil and we don't treat them that way. It is acting on your homosexuality that is a sin. If you are a homosexual, you would be expected to be abstinent. There are various vocations when being a catholic. Being a priest is one, a sister, brother, etc. My vocation is as a father and husband. Just like other single people within the church, being an abstinent single person is a vocation as well.<br /><br />I just don't understand why you people need to tear down the catholic church when you've got no interest in it.<br /><br />You do your thing.. I'll do mine.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

"You do your thing.. I'll do mine."<br /><br />Yeah.. I agree, Rogerwa.. <br /><br />But... (there's always that, but) Roger and All.. The thing that you must understand is that even tho a person may have "no interest in it", the Catholic church has quite a bit of political muscle... That muscle trickles down sometimes... <br /><br />Take an issue, any issue; that may negativly effect people who have zero interest in the teachings or political views of the Catholic church and try to impose upon the group with zero interest, you're going to get feedback.. <br /><br />Trouble catching my drift?.. Change you're perspective.. Try looking from the outside, in... Instead of the inside, out...<br /><br />As for Pope Bennedict's Hitler/Nazi youth thing, I say wooooop-d-doooo .....

rogerwa

Commander

I have no problem catching your drift.. While I diagree about the political nature of the church, I fully understand that individuals feel threatened by what the church stands for..

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

People don't feel threatened by what the church stands for.Nor do they feel threatened by the church's ordinary followers. Your life is your own, live it as you see fit.<br /> People feel threatened by the church authority's actions and blind ignorance or even worse indifference of what's going on around it and within its ranks.<br /><br />If the Catholic church were to make a policy of vetting its new priests for sexual offences against children and immediately handing over priests accused of child molestation to the police for the LAW to investigate that'd go a long way to solving it in my opinion. I'm sure no-one here is going to say that the Catholic church (or any other religious institution for that matter) is above the law.<br /><br />We simply don't like the fact that an institution of this size behaves in such a blinkered manner towards the behaviour of its representatives nor the blinkered way in which it deals with the world around it.<br /><br />I am most emphatically not attacking your faith.<br /> I am however attacking the way in which your faith's leading authority conducts it's business.

johnson-liner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Like I said in my post "if that is in fact what he said" I find it disgusting. And I appreciate the clarification posted. However, I definetely agree with Nos4r2 that the leaders of the church need to address the molestation cases in a much better fashion and always ALWAYS turn offenders over to authorities.<br /><br />I'd consider myself agnostic but I always enjoy learning more about different faiths, religions. It's always interesting, but unfortunately sometimes a little disapointing. (ie. any killing in the name of any god or looking down on people of different faiths). <br /><br />Carry on! :)

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Looking from the inside out so to speek, the church is taking a harder approach than anyone would admit to the molesters among the ranks. The thing nobody either knows, admits, or WANTS to admit or know is that the church does turn over the accused. When something is proven or enough evidence is shown that preist is removed from the priesthood and dealt with within the church as well as the courts. There has been a lot of negative press about these cases. I do believe they are terrible and these monsters should be executed on the village square. BUT all the jokes and talk is going too far. Look at the hundreds of thousands of priests in the nation, then look at the dozen or so cases. The numbers are low when put into perspective. <br />Look at high school gym teachers. How many millions are there in the nation? Then look at how many of them have been accused of molesting a student? Nobody knows or hears of these cases. Here in Nebraska 2 have been accused in the last year. The schools have placed them on Paid administrative leave pending court. The church takes a harder approach than this. So what was everyone saying? I was an alter boy when I was a child. I can say that with 5 priests none of them ever made any advances toward me. The only thing that ever happened to me was I got yelled at for messing around at the alter during mass. Shouldn't have eaten beans the night before.<br />Now look at all of the evangelists on television that have been ripping people off. Their religion or church as an orginization does not suffer from that like we do. <br />I do feel a lot of people are afraid of the Catholic church. Maybe not people here, but a lot of people I know. It is the strict in-changing beliefs. I believe that religion is set in stone and does not change with ones mood or with mans law. <br />Interesting thing happened to me the other day. I got a letter in the mail from a Baptist Church from another state. This letter said Catholics are evil, satanic, sinners and will all be condemed to eternal suffering. I always respected Baptists for their strong beliefs, but maybe not anymore. I will not blame the whole religiuon for this one hate letter I got, but it makes me wonder what is going on inside of their doors.

johnson-liner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow...so what was the letter for, I mean what was the intent? Did it sound like they knew you specifically were Catholic and were trying to (in a completely wrong manner) convert you? Or was it just junk mail the everyone on the street got (obviously trying to get people on board too)? Jeez...there's nicer ways to word things :p <br /><br />See that's the part of (some? all?) religions that I don't like. Seems each is positively sure that they are right, and the others are wrong. I don't think any of us will know who's right or who's wrong until we're being backfilled..